R12GS with ADV tank

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by SQD8R, Apr 12, 2006.

1. rideLD

rideLD The further the better!

Oddometer:
    I'd be happy to loan you mine. I forget how much it costs and usually that means it was a lot because I am good at blocking those things out of my mind. Anyone else who needs the tool is welcome to borrow mine if you pay shipping and your a regular around here.
  2. mx125

mx125 Knob from Canada

Oddometer:
    What would you guess the whole pkg to cost? And I'm guessing it's a lot cheaper to buy in the US??

And you'd be doing the install . . . how much do you think BMW would charge to do the work?
  3. SQD8R

SQD8R Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer:
    Thx for the offer Frank but I bought it already. I block those things out too. esp. when I go by the auto store to buy a new rachet just for that wrench. :lol3

Check out the thread in vendors, post #40 Frank, a different one, will be putting a package together with the final price. :deal

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128285&page=3

You're a sick man if you get 'visual stimulation' from a tank conversion. :lol3
  4. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm taking mine in today to our dealer.. He's quoted me 2 hours labor. I KNOW I can do it myself, and SQD has encouraged me to, but I'd rather drop it off and pick it up and it's done.
  5. mx125

mx125 Knob from Canada

Oddometer:
    I spoke to my salesman and he mentioned one was in the shop today getting a conversion. I wondered if it was yours. I asked him to price it out for me. I'd love to see pics of the fully trimmed out job.

So you bought all the parts in VA and he's installing it?
  6. GB

Oddometer:
    Yup, that's how it worked, unlike another dealer in south western ontario who turned hostile on one of us, just for calling him about it.

Remember though, I've bought 2 bikes from my dealer and have always ordered other parts from him too.. besides, this is a learning experience for them and it's business. They're not doing it for free.
  7. mx125

mx125 Knob from Canada

Oddometer:
    Right. Well, if it's in the ballpark of "reasonable" vs. US pricing I will seriously consider doing it. I prefer not to go the upgrade-to-new-adventure route as I really like my expandable Vario bags, and other than tank range, I'm happy.

The only thing I don't 'love' in the new tank is the black side panel colour on my yellow bike. I have the silver/grey panels and have to say they add something to the look for me. I know I'm gonna get crushed for showing bike vanity.

I hope it goes well and love to see some pics when you're done.
  8. SQD8R

Oddometer:
    Philistine :lol3
  9. GB

Oddometer:
    If you bought your bike at the same dealer, my salesman said to me you get 15% off parts. You could invoke this clause..

As for silver panels, you could get the adv tank panels painted silver. I believe the tank itself cannot be painted, if you try, the paint will bubble and peel off. If you buy the Touratech Desierto 3 fairing in matching silver, you'll get the "vanity" look that you want! :lol3 Hey.. when it comes to bikes and babes, looks are important.. :beer
  10. GB

Oddometer:

and hey.. I also would like the oil changed.. too lazy to do that also!
  11. mx125

mx125 Knob from Canada

Oddometer:
    Haha! Glad I'm not alone! Yes, my salesman gets me 15% off on accessories and I'm sure he'd try to do the same on parts. Good point . .I could get the trims painted silver.
  12. SQD8R

Oddometer:
    Don't know if you are in a rush for the paint treatment but I'm considering getting the bike painted this winter, not much else to do actually:lol3 , and the tank is a priority. My understanding was that there is some base coat that can be applied to make the paint adhere better. GB can elaborate on this more if he's in the know.
  13. mx125

mx125 Knob from Canada

Oddometer:
    I'd be interested to know what can be done. I would probably want to have it done in the summer . .but even the top adventure trim pieces might be enough to give it a better look. If they are the same matte paint treatment as on my standard 12GS panels, then they should take paint. I do look fwd to seeing GB's pics, though, and hearing his thoughts post install.
  14. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Dude! That's a venturi pump, like the ones you could fabricate for the 11XXGS! It's nice to see them actually incorporate a good hack! I always thought it was an elegant solution, compared to external crossover tubes. No moving parts...no external tubes...Man, about time!
  15. GB

Oddometer:
    I believe the GS tank to be made of polyethylene. Poly tanks are generally considered unpaintable. The gas vapor somewho leeches thru the tank then the paint starts to bubble. Here's a simple experiment. Attach a sticker to the GS gas tank and wait a couple of weeks, if you start to see bubbles in the sticker, you have your answer. I've done it on my stock GS tank, under the panels.

Now, there may be something on the market that can be used a primer on poly tanks, I don't know. :dunno
  16. GB

Oddometer:

BMW calls it a "sucking jet pump".. I want to have a T-shirt made that reads

My GS has a SUCKING JET PUMP" :lol3
  17. DannyZRC

DannyZRC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    PE doesn't take paint well, but you can texture it with a torch so that you can paint it.

this of course only works on PE that isn't a fuel tank, the fuel vapor leeches through and bubbles your paint off.

could probably make a cover out of some form of plastic and paint that, but I like black so I'm not worried ;)
  18. mx125

mx125 Knob from Canada

Oddometer:
    GadgetBoy, did you get the tank done? If so, what do you think?
  19. GB

Oddometer:
    Yes, I picked it up today and just got home. It looks good and feels good. I haven't filled up the whole tank with gas yet, and probably will only fill it 20 litres at a time when I'm riding it around town. The fuel gauge works ok too.

The dealer's tech was superb at trouble shooting and improvising. The main fuel hose that clips into the white flange was long enough but the tech felt it was too tight, so he just replaced it with a longer piece of rubber fuel line.

The front mounts where the tank hangs at the front had arrived from Germany, so he put them in, but the bolts that they came with M8 x 95 where waaay too long, so he put shorter ones, but still longer than the stock GS mount bolts. The side covers with the BMW roundel fit right on, although I don't have the correct fastener for the rear where the rear top Dzus fastener held the GS side panel. I'm just going to use the Touratech "security" fasteners that they sell to replace the Dzus, which I had but never used. The only part I'm missing is the right side fuel injuector cover which on the ADV is larger than the one on the GS, but only on the right side, the left side, where the VIN is, it's the same. I will have this cover here on Monday.

I'm impressed with the professionalism of the after sales rep and the manner in which they handled this special job at Toronto BMW. They have lots of work and they took the time to do this installation for me, where as another dealer that SQD had talked to in Ontario scoffed at the notion of doing this conversion.

I will try to post a picture soon.. Right now the bike is in the garage and it ain't pretty in there.. I just might have to take in there though.. stay tuned..

:lurk
  20. GB

Oddometer:
    P.S. even though the fuel gauge is showing the last 3 bars, the after sales rep took my bike out to their empty parking lot across the street and he told me he was doing figure eights with it, leaning it from side to side, as far over as he could and it never coughed or hiccuped, so we feel sure the fuel pump and sucking jet pump are working properly.

:thumb