R12GS with ADV tank

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by SQD8R, Apr 12, 2006.

1. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The garage is a mess and it's dark and I have jerry cans here and there.. and bungee cords and a top case and the GS fuel tank on top of it.. just got back from the installation, so I've dumped everything around the bike!

[​IMG]
  2. mx125

mx125 Knob from Canada

Oddometer:
    Looks very nice GB. I'm glad it worked out for you so well. It sounds like they do very good work there. I certainly like the team over there.

It's definitely a different look that the stock bike, but more rugged. I'm sure you'll love the extra capacity. I appreciate the detailed report and the pic. I'll spend a lot of time staring at that while I assess my next move!
  3. GB

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  4. Bill the Duck

Bill the Duck Unwitting Accomplice Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is nothing new under the sun. :D

[​IMG]

Nice looking 12! :thumb
  5. StYd

StYd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So is there a complete list of the required parts numbers somewhere now? Figure this would be a good project while I am getting my knee worked on next month!

6. SQD8R

SQD8R Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer:
    looks good except for that ugly attachment on top. :lol3

Matches up nicely. :thumb
  7. SQD8R

Oddometer:
    Frank is putting it together, check it out in vendor forum. I'll post here once I get the remaining parts.
  8. StYd

StYd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks!:clap

9. GB

Oddometer:

hey!! watch it!! you'll hurt my feelings! :lol3

I'm very surprised how well the TT D3 works. I haven't even played with it yet.. I have it set almost to the highest position and a neutral tilt.. no buffeting, no wind noise.. very clean air.. this is going to be good on hot days, when I can lower the shield as well as tilt it.. Totally unnecessary ... unlike the adv conversion which we couldn't live without!
  10. retroone

retroone Long timer

Oddometer:
    That looks most excellent dood.
    :clap :rayof :beer
  11. durtrider

durtrider adventure sow

Oddometer:
    GB that looks great! I like the combo of color on your bike. And I like the way your garage looks. Real normal to me!:lol3 I was beginning to think that every Adv member had a garage that was spic and spam and I was the only one with clutter!
  12. 761

761 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    GB,
    The Bike Looks AWESOME!!! Are those front blinker stems shorter than stock? And where did you get them if they are.
    Once again, GREAT looking bike.
  13. GB

Oddometer:
    Thanks guys! :thumb

yes, those front blinker stems are shorter than the US spec stems. This is how the bike is sold in Canada and the rest of the world. Only in the US do the blinkers stick out 6 inches from either side, something to do with a DOT regulation about the distance of the blinkers from the headlight...

if you want them, i'm sure you can order them from any canadian dealer, if you need help, PM me.
  14. Against the Wind

Against the Wind I'm older now but still runnin'

Oddometer:
    GB,

Any idea if the ADV tank guards will fit and if yes, are you going to add them?
  15. SQD8R

Oddometer:
    They will fit but we haven't got final pricing on them yet. I have the factory bars for the 12GS and I believe that if I can order just the top pieces they will work. If not it means an entirely new set of bars.
  16. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    :thumb Just tuned in to this thread. Bike looks sweet GB! Funny how if you're not interested in doing something you just totally avoid a thread. I like em slim myself. The beak extention looks good on your bike. Kind of frames the yellow
  17. GB

Oddometer:

Ya, she does look pregnant, but I just couldn't put up with the shortish range... As you and I both know, with the KLR, you just ride and ride and ride some more.. I wanted the same thing with my GS. Ya, the beak extender rounds out the package and confirms to all that I am a Touratech bitch! :lol3
  18. GB

Oddometer:

Having examined the engine guards on the ADV closely, the tank guards will not be a straight bolt on job if you have the stock BMW engine guards on your GS. The place where the tank guards connect to the engine guards is tapered narrower, so when you attach the tank guard bracket, the overall diameter of the engine guards in that location remains the same.. I plan on mounting mine to my HB engine guards, with some drilling and tapping..

First, we have to see if this rusting (out of the box) tank guard issue is resolved...
  19. GB

Oddometer:

Just got a quote from Frank at Hammersley's where I got my ADV tank kit:

Tank guard, plus fog lights mounts, plus engine guards... are you ready?

$1391.54 :yikes This is not MSRP, this is the ADV discounted price!

The fog light mount of $430 is included in this price and does not need to be ordered, it covers the light bars, fog lights, switches and wiring. I have no desire to buy the BMW engine guards, since they do next to nothing to protect the valve covers, so I could delete those too.. Tank guards will be in the $430 range.. Having read on this forum and see pics of ADV tank guards already rusting right out of the crate, - they're supposed to be made of stainless steel - makes me want to wait and see if they get their act together... Let's see what the accessory market will come up with... Touratech are you listening?!
  20. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Sweet ride. :D