R12GS with ADV tank

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by SQD8R, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Opus

Opus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Aren't you missing the two side cover panels ?

46-63-7-694-967
    46-63-7-694-968

Also a replacement fuel filler gasket might be a good idea

16-11-7-654-903
  2. SQD8R

SQD8R Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer:
    Thx the side cover panel numbers I didn't have. The fuel filter gasket is that the small one or the large one you have listed?
  3. Opus

Opus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is actually the tank gasket, between the filler neck and the top of the tank, it was suggested that it was a good idea to replace it whenever you pulled the filler. Other than that your list matches mine. :D
  4. SQD8R

Oddometer:
    Ah,

never replaced it but I'll add it to the list. Thx for catching the side panel numbers for me. :clap
  5. Opus

Opus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One other part you might add is the rear tank bolt metal washer, don't know how you did your's but. On the brake side you don't need the bracket that attaches to the rear tank mounting bolt. I just cut off the bracket part and used the washer, but if you had an additional rear washer from the other side you could save the bracket incase you ever wanted to convert back.
  6. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You'd think BMW would save us all the trouble and just give us a list of all the needed parts.. what do they have to lose? They're going to make money selling the parts... My dealer who was getting quite a few requests for a tank conversion, asked BMW HQ for such a list and they said no. :(:
  7. 761

761 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The completed list should go in Hall of Wisdom. Maybe with Frank as the author? RIP Frank.
  8. SQD8R

Oddometer:
    Liability GB, be glad they allowed the shop to install it. I've got a near complete list in the how-to, uploading today.
  9. GSDude

GSDude Banned

Oddometer:
    I've got the last ADV tank in the world coming and should be here next week! Thanks for your info!!
  10. GB

Oddometer:
    There were 20 available from Germany.. I'm sure more will be too, but if you've got the last one, then you're in luck! Be sure to show us the finished result! :thumb
  11. kirkmoon

kirkmoon Making up for lost youth

Oddometer:
    Thanks for pioneering this, boys. :freaky

My megatank is sitting at Hammersley BMW waiting for a couple of more minor parts to arrive from Germany to finish off the kit and should be on its way to me in a week or so barring unforeseen probs.

Appreciate your taking the time to share your knowledge with us. :clap
  12. GB

Oddometer:
    KM,
    you have PM.
  13. kirkmoon

kirkmoon Making up for lost youth

Oddometer:
    Received, thank you.

In case anyone else is in the same position as I am, I contacted Hammersley BMW yesterday to determine the status of my order, which was in process at the time that Frank had his tragic accident. They were completely on top of things and knew all of the details of the order, where things stood, and when I might expect to see shipment. I was very impressed.

My deepest sympathy to Frank's friends and loved ones. I didn't meet him in person but he was extremely helpful and courteous to me on the phone. I was and still am deeply shocked and saddened by his death.

:cry
  14. GB

Oddometer:
    Thanks KM.. your sentiments are mine also... :cry
  15. johnjen

johnjen Now, even more NOW!…

Oddometer:
    This thread (or at least the good stuff) is now in the Hall of Wisdom... Have-at-it

JJ
  16. pinecone

pinecone 任意人

Oddometer:
    This oughta be fun....:huh
  17. SQD8R

Oddometer:
    Thx Johnjen,

Hall of Wisdom, located @ the very bottom of the page, has the how-to guide. Enjoy.
  18. Opus

Opus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    SQD8R great guide:clap Wish I had it before I did my conversion. Just one comment and a question. The comment is about the front brakets, not sure which is the correct orientation, I installed mine the reverse of yours. I assumed the U shape at the top of the bracket was designed to go over the tab from the outside and mount with one of the captive screw clips and screws, It would appear that either works so I don't think it really matters.

The question is regarding fuel gauge, I keep getting the fuel countdown when I am leaned hard right with about 190mi on a tank is this normal? or did I screw something up. I am assuming that as long as the fuel level is dropping in both side tanks that the Sucking jet pump is working properly after riding straight the countdown stops.

Great guide. BTW I installed an aeroflow and the lower bracket for the aeroflow uses the same mounting tab as the ADV tank forward side panel bracket. :rofl :rofl
  19. Tindjin

Tindjin Old No. 7

Oddometer:
    Awesome guide!.. I've already saved it to my back up drive so as soon as mine is out of warrenty I can do it..

One question.. The bolts for the tank.. Does the part number in the guide refer to the 3inch long ones or the proper shorter (but still longer than regular GS) ones?
  20. StYd

StYd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :clap:freaky:clap

Great, going to do mine next weekend!

Anyone in central florida want to come watch, give me a shout