R18 - The closest thing to an airhead in a while?

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by the_babaji, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Mobiker

Mobiker Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you Mr. Sunshine :fitz
    timkil likes this.
  2. Mobiker

Oddometer:
    Eh. Not my type of bike. If I wanted something like that I'd just as soon have an HD. Not a bad looking motorcycle. I like the exposed driveshaft. Those are some seriously long intakes. I wonder what it weighs?
  3. infinityedge

infinityedge Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    “Tomorrow never dies” came out in 1997.
    lucky6600 likes this.
  4. OLD GREEN

OLD GREEN Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't know, I kind of dig it. It's black with white stripes and a roundel on the tank, low bars, solo seat and no fucking wind screen to obstruct the view from my open faced helmet and sun glasses. What's not to like? If this really comes to market, it'd be the closest opportunity I'd ever have to walking into a dealer and buying a modern R69S. Throw some bags on it and you're good to roll. And, It looks like it's got enough brakes to stop it as a bonus. How could you not find enjoyment in that? It doesn't have to be the only tool in your shed, you can park it next to your RTW GSPD or your commuter RT.

I think some of you guys might be so old that you forgot how much fun riding a stripped down bike can be. Leave the Aerostich on the hanger once in a while, feel the wind in your face, take a chance, live a little. You might find a whole new way to enjoy motorcycling, or hopefully at least the insight to not judge others for how they enjoy it.
  5. Mobiker

Oddometer:
    My main problem with it is it looks like it would get uncomfortable real quick. Being as I am a geezer, comfort has become a pretty big priority.
  6. Tripletreat

Tripletreat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Okay, the Montauk was not an airhead. My bad. Technically it had an "oil head" engine, if I have my "street" names correct. However, it couldn't be considered anything other than a cruiser, and an ugly one at that! BMW has turned out some really oddball designs over the years.
  7. greentreephrog

greentreephrog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Obviously I'm getting too old and grumpy. I see lots of narcissism masquerading as 'cool', and not much motorcycling.
    Dreossi and timkil like this.
  8. tradern

tradern One wheel

Oddometer:
    Drz forks may fit?
    spokester and ME 109 like this.
  9. BMWGSA

BMWGSA Geländefahrer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure that BMW is not targeting "Geezers" with this bike. Harley and other manufacturers are looking to the future so they can build a customer base for the foreseeable future.

Welcome to irrelevance!
  10. tsADV

tsADV Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes, everything is about style, and engine size. I wonder how many of their target customers know about the poor reliability of modern BMWs? By focusing on the heritage BMW may have intended to give the impression that its built to a high quality standard, as opposed to a price.

The reason I actually like the looks is that the designers have gone in the opposite direction of the "angry insect" styling. But me buying one? No, too much still left in the proper BMWs :-)
    aptbldr likes this.
  11. Mobiker

Oddometer:
    Thank you :queenie
  12. Mobiker

Oddometer:
    You know...at first I was overwhelmed by the honor of being welcomed to the irrelevance by a luminary such as yourself, but after giving this a little careful consideration, I have to wonder if this is a good marketing strategy on BMW's part. I mean, how many youngsters flexible enough to rock the ergonomics will have the money for what is sure to be a very expensive motorcycle? Who has that much disposable income for play pretties? Geezers! That's who :nod

If you want future customers you build something like BMW's 310's or Harley's Street line.

I'm not sure who this bike is for :hmmmmm
  13. BMWGSA

Oddometer:
    I am sure that they have much higher paid people than us sitting around thinking about how they're going to capture the next Market. Perhaps they have seen something that we have not yet come to notice. Again how much time do you have left compared to how much time do these young people have?

I feel BMW is looking ahead.
  14. Mobiker

Oddometer:
    Based on my experience, this is not an indicator of intelligence, knowledge, or efficiency.
    Souljer, timkil and robtg like this.
  15. SculptD

SculptD Smells like tech

Oddometer:
    Who is going to buy this? Nobody, it's a concept.

What young people have the dough to buy one? Almost every 25 year old I pass on the sidewalk could buy 2 or 3.

It's not intelligent, efficient, rational, etc. Good! Fun!

This is intelligent efficient and rational:

2003_subaru_forester_wagon_x_fq_oem_1_500.jpg

This is inefficient, poorly mechanically designed, a functional nightmare, etc....but, come on.

IMG_0249.JPG
    elmontanero and Big Bamboo like this.
  16. robtg

robtg Long timer

Oddometer:

I agree. There have been several bad decisions made by those "higher paid people". My favorite was the valve seat problem.
    It took BMW years to figure that one out. Independent machinists had that handled at least 10 years before BMW had a clue.
    spokester likes this.
  17. BMWGSA

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    airheadPete, nothing and WooPig like this.
  18. Big Bamboo

Big Bamboo Aircooled & Sunbaked Supporter

Oddometer:
    The car isn't bad, too ! :lol3
    Mobiker likes this.
  19. Andy FitzGibbon

Andy FitzGibbon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's a concept. If it is even ever produced, it'll be a much-watered-down version of what's being presented. Save your hatred for the final product :D
  20. Mobiker

Oddometer:
    Uh, my comment about intelligence, etc. had to do with "higher paid people". Not the bike. But whatever. Carry on.