R18 - The closest thing to an airhead in a while?

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by the_babaji, Jun 9, 2019.

1. 190e

190e Long timer

Oddometer:
    Absolutely agree. It's not a bike that will be ridden fast so what's the point of a huge engine. I'd rather they used a smaller engine and saved some weight. All wishful thinking though as the whole point of this type of bike is that it's always going to be form before function and not a motorcycle intended for serious use.
  2. korinthias

korinthias slightly behind the curve…

Oddometer:
    R18? It looks like a cross between an agricultural vehicle and a child’s tricycle, it’s a bike for poseurs, riding five miles to the bar with a sore arse at the end of it. As 190e says above, it’s a complete reversal of the ‘form follows function’ dictat that the older ‘R’ series, the airhead, exemplifies.
    Look at the elegant simplicity of the R5 this travesty supposedly follows:

No unnecessary exaggeration of style, just simple well executed functionality and usability. The only embellishment, a simple white pinstripe on the black. So understated, so practical; (I’d love to own, or even get a chance to ride one). If the so-called R18 does make it to market, I’d expect to see quite a number of them available secondhand within six months...
    mslim likes this.
  3. kcoralj

kcoralj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The problem is that it's built on "moar displacement" idea, all those riders already have bikes.
    If they want new riders they need to build their own classic design, not some goofy mix.
    They are afraid that too many riders would think an 800 is too small.
    I suppose they want a premium price to pay for the extra expense of the boxer motor and shaft drive and if they did make it smaller it wouldn't be much cheaper to build, like the K75 or R850 or any of the smaller airheads, they just didn't have enough of a profit margin.
  4. getonyourbikeandride

getonyourbikeandride Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Especially when that 'look' is just aweful...
  5. aptbldr

aptbldr easy rider

Oddometer:
  6. R85/8

R85/8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm old enough to remember the outcry of horror from the old geezers when the R75/5 was introduced. Me, I couldn't wait to get one.

I remember my horror when the R1200C was brought out. When did BMW start making motorbikes out of lead? Or so ugly?

Then about 10 years later I was in Oz for 6 months and bought one to get around Queensland. 10,000km over 6 months and I was a fan. The only problem was the rear indicators kept falling off because it was seeing a lot of dirt roads. I wish I'd taken it back to the UK with me. (Strangely I never saw a R1200GS in those outback tracks)

[​IMG]

So once I get over my outcry of horror at this monstrosity, eg 800cc too big, about 120kg too heavy, I have to admit I like the look of it, and know it will probably handle whatever road you throw it down.

Let's give it a chance...
    nothing and edgeoftheworld like this.
  7. aptbldr

aptbldr easy rider

Oddometer:
    R18 concept bike at Barber last year was much mo' better in-real-life than in pics.
  8. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  9. boxerboy81

boxerboy81 Stay Horizontal

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Mobiker likes this.
  10. elmontanero

elmontanero Practicing...

Oddometer:
    I was totally interested until the current set of spy photos have been published. They could have taken it toward the classic BMW lines but instead rotted it with cruiser tiny tank and ugly barcalounger seat. :(

I had hoped they'd go more classic in look and that a sidecar attached would be the perfect retro/modern BMW.
  11. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm waiting for the "GeeeyessS" version to be released. :rofl

Serously, this bike would make an awesome sidecar tug.
    elmontanero likes this.
  12. R85/8

R85/8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just seen the weight, 345kg. Tug might be the best description.

That about 100kg more than I'm prepared to tolerate on a supposedly modern bike.
    robtg likes this.
  13. robtg

robtg Long timer

Oddometer:
    That porker weighs 100kg more than the last sidecar outfit I built.
  14. Beils

Beils Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Designed by “Stylists” that have no clue about engineering, and driven by Marketers to expand the potential market of noobs. An exercise in BS...
    If BMW decides to make a new air cooled R5 for 2020, let the engineers have at it.
    Steve W. likes this.
  15. R85/8

R85/8 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I suspects the marketers didn't let the engineers near it or it would be much lighter.

A short range bike for posturing around town and 10 mile rides, but god help you if it ever tips over (eg when the stand just plunges into the ground because of the huge weight)

I wonder who will be first to lose a leg to the exposed driveshaft?

Very disappointed. I thought with the frequent R5 references it would be a proper motorbike.
    elmontanero and Beils like this.
  16. Beils

Beils Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Imagine if the “Design Committee” were to try their hand at an aircraft...A Peterbuilt for the skies! Luckily BMW is still not allowed to manufacture aircraft.
  17. BOOTLACE

BOOTLACE Bikie Scum. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well I love it!

It is what it is.
  18. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, it’ll certainly get me into a BMW dealership to check out and take for a ride.

Im right curious about this machine!
  19. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    The various production models look good, imho. Love the fishtail mufflers and exposed driveshaft.

Now that we have a model that'll sell enough units to cover development costs can we please have a scaled-up, modernised homage to the iconic R69S built on the same engine?

[​IMG]
    R85/8, lucky6600 and beemeruss like this.
  20. Jim K in PA

Jim K in PA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Interesting times. I am looking forward to the Harley dealer re-opening so I can test ride an electric bike, and the BMW dealer re-opening so I can test ride a cruiser! What the hell?? :lol3