R65GS cam chain siderail crooked

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by JakobDK, Jan 12, 2021.

1. JakobDK

JakobDK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought new parts for a camchain swap on my R65GS from motorworks.
    The sliderail I recieved appears crooked on the sliding part of the rail - does anyone have thoughts on this? A cheep sliderail to be thrown in the bin?
    IMG_0831.JPG IMG_0837.JPG

I haven't done a cam chain swap or looked at these parts before so I don't know if the original slide rail is okay for a reuse and also if the crank sprocket is worn or not?
    IMG_0844.JPG IMG_0827.JPG IMG_0828.JPG IMG_0830.JPG

Please enlighten me on wear patterns on cam chain parts.
  2. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't use that bent part. Call them and they should replace it.

When replacing the timing chain it is recommended to replace the guide (your weird part), spring for the guide, chain (with new master link), gear on the crankshaft. Seals in the cover may need to be replaced or they will fail shortly. I guess this is where judgement is allowed. I replace them.

Riders sometimes think the small gear on the crank can be reused. Usually we hear about having to do the job again because of this. Not a good place to save money. It is hard to see the wear because the wear is in the trough of the gear and not it's pointy parts. Or so I have been told.

The big gear on the cam shaft is usually reusable but some replace the second or third time they do a timing chain. The big gear gets more oil and this may be why it lasts longer. It is also a bigger job because the cam shaft has to come out to replace that gear.

These all all the standard recommendations by many. I guess there are some that would disagree but I'm pretty sure most agree.
  3. JakobDK

JakobDK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input. I actually have the small sprocket, from Motorworks, just didn't know if it was worth the hassle. The cam sprocket looks super good condition.
    Seals, spring and the left side slide rail has been swapped for new parts.
  4. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah. I forgot to say left side side rail.
  5. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    both sprockets get the same oil. But one has more teeth to take the wear.
  6. JakobDK

JakobDK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got this reply from motorworks:
    "HI there, Sorry, this is very strange as we source these from BMW. We have found one from stock that is okay and will send you that- we shall be taking this up with BMW of course."
    Jim K in PA likes this.