R75 in search of peace at the devils hwy

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by johnwesley, Apr 25, 2019.

1. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be Supporter

Oddometer:
    It’s been a while since I took a trip just to explore new roads, too long actually. I have an event in Medicine Park over Thursday through Sunday. I would arrive back home Sunday and leave out Tuesday for Fort Davis. I had to be there Wednesday night. The wife and I were discussing the schedule and she said, “why don’t you just stay out, you need a exploring trip”. Need was the right word, I’ve been a bit on edge lately and need to go just have some fun with out a rushed pace, just me and the bike.

I purchased this bike in December 2018, and haven’t had it out for more than a few hundred miles at a time. It’s time for a trip and that’s why BMW built this bike, touring and exploring. It didn’t take long and I had a plan. I’ve never done the AZ devils highway. It use to be hwy666 and about a decade ago they changed the name to hwy 191. There are lots of legends about this highway being cursed and there was an abnormally high death rate. Reality or legend they decided to change the name to Highway 191. As a bonus I decided to visit the famed Pie Town as well. With the help of some local adv members I came up with a back roads rout that would get me to places I haven’t seen and explore new country. If that wasn’t enough at the last minute I decided to give Hammock camping a try. With my new gear loaded up I heading out today in the rain. It will be a good test of the waxed cotton Cousin Jeremy Jacket from Aerostich. Not being brave enough to throw caution to the wind I did pack a tent along just incase.

Hope you join along for my search for peace at the Devil’s Highway

[​IMG]
  2. rrittner

rrittner Expand your sphere of awarness

Oddometer:
  3. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    :lurk In...
    johnwesley likes this.
  4. patrkbukly

patrkbukly Life at 10,000 feet

Oddometer:
    in
    :clap
    johnwesley likes this.
  5. SCTrailrider

SCTrailrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In. :lurk
    johnwesley likes this.
  6. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    In..
    johnwesley likes this.
  7. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer:
    I remember that road, it takes a wrecker all day to get there :lol3

[​IMG]

but if ya gotta be broke down there s worst places

[​IMG]

u can nap while ya wait

[​IMG]

but a awesome road

[​IMG]

have fun
  8. johnwesley

Oddometer:
    First leg of the trip I’m with my dad. His plan was to ride to Medicine Park with me and take the fxrt. All packed up and ready to ride the fxrt battery wouldn’t start the bike, seems like a cell shorted. So we off load the luggage on to the Moto Guzzi. So a German and an Italian walk into a bar...

Dad and I travel together as much as possible. He turns 70 this year and we have been riding together on separate bikes since I was 14, I’m 44 now so we have been riding for a while and have our routines down. If it was for some homefront work he had to take care of he would do the hole ride with me. It’s been a while since he’s done a camping trip not sure how he would fair, but I’m sure he can still make it. Maybe next time.

The rain hasn’t let up much so for the first 60 miles we ride in and out of rain, but the temp was night and the mountains still tall and proud as the looked to be covered in a thick mist. It a great first ride on the beemer. Today make the father eat Blue has been from home and we still have 2,400 miles to go.

Destination event tonight it is the Mckenzie’s burger garage where there’s a bike night with a slow race to close the event out. Old Blue and I are in the fun so I didn’t get any pics, but we came out with the trophy. I’m here through Sunday when I will head west and stretch the bikes legs and test the endurance of my tail end. Either this seat will break in or my but will, either way it’s got to happen. I’m not so sure this seat isn’t made of foam rubber. It’s hard as a rock with no give. That’s something to work on when I get home.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little hooligan activity in front of the burger garage. I guess old blue intimidated the bush.

[​IMG]
    Bors, Bigger Al, Ducatijim and 4 others like this.
  9. johnwesley

Oddometer:
  10. johnwesley

Oddometer:
    A few pics I procured from the net

Burger Garage

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grand champion :photog

[​IMG]
    Bigger Al, beemerphile, WRC51 and 5 others like this.
  11. airhead_irl

airhead_irl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ireland (Irlande, Eire, Irland, Hibernia)
    Great thread ! The Guzzi looks to be a very nice bike too, as well as your airhead. Did you say your father is 70 ??! He certainly looks much younger than that !

Safe travels to you both,
    Mark.
    johnwesley likes this.
  12. johnwesley

Oddometer:
    Yea dad is 69 till August. Long life on that side of the family. It’s a blessing for us to still be able to ride together. He’s tuff as a mule.

Here he is checking out a friend of mines gsw.

7528B1CE-A7AB-49E5-8D58-3BFF0EAD4EFA.jpeg
  13. sandsman

sandsman Shut up and ride!!!!

Oddometer:
    Just what you want to be known for......The Slow Race Champion, I love it. Have a great ride John. I was wanting to go to Ft Davis, but I'm headed for Baja about 2 weeks later.
  14. johnwesley

Oddometer:
    It was a laid back day, some sight seeing, eating and hanging out. Telling stories of days gone by and remembering the good trips we have made. Dad really wants to go with me from here and I offered him some camping equipment, but his since of responsibility keeps him for going. Mom has a head cold and not feeling well so he needs to go back home and check on her and the new puppy. I will meet up with him again in Fort Davis.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Decided to stretch the hammock out before I try to do it tired at the end of a day. This is the basic set up I plan on trying where I can. Should be a comfy setup. If it works I’ll be able to cut my pack size in half. That would be nice.

[​IMG]
  15. airhead_irl

airhead_irl Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ireland (Irlande, Eire, Irland, Hibernia)
    Let's hope we're all still riding like he is (and beyond) when we get there :1drink
    WRC51, CCitis and patrkbukly like this.
  16. ZigzagguzzI

ZigzagguzzI Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    R75/6? One of my favorite bikes was a R90/6 with large tank, S fairing and seat and craven bags as well as bmw leather tank bag and euro handlebars. Like to have that again. I am 69 also, my wife 71, we ride most days on our 500 aprilia scooters, sayhowdy to your dad.
  17. patrkbukly

patrkbukly Life at 10,000 feet

Oddometer:
    "AIRHEAD GRIN"
    :D
  18. johnwesley

Oddometer:

It’s a r75/6 with /7 bodywork. That gives me the 6.3 gallon tank which is important for touring. It’s a fun bike that I enjoy, we’ll see how much fun I’m having after a few days on the road. :augie
    WRC51, OV10, scrapper and 1 other person like this.
  19. johnwesley

Oddometer:
    I left dad today and headed out. The roads I picked turned out to be great riding. I’m normally blessed with finding good roads. Once I passed I27 the wind really picked up, worse than normal west Texas winds. Some times it hit so hard I thought I hit the brakes. It the kind of wind that lets you know your still alive. Plan was to stop at Oasis state park but I was a couple of hours ahead of schedule and it was hot, did I mention it was windy? So I ended up doing 150 miles more than I planed. I was told that NM 246 had no gas and I should fill up. I calculated I had just enough fuel to make it using the 1 gallon spar I carry. I ran out with 20 miles to the gas station. Once I was there I had half galling left. Cut it a little close but not to close. If your ever in the area that is a great road. I only seen two trucks on it. I’m give out for the night so I’m just going to put some attachments up since I’m on the phone and then crawl in the hammock and get some rest.

A very nice surprise heading through Texas
    5E072B42-24CA-4EFD-B3EA-6BDEEEFBDC8B.jpeg

Lunch stop

60B71118-2FC0-484D-A031-4710154BE572.jpeg

Happy boy I’ve done a thousand miles since I left and the r75 hasn’t missed a beat.

5B21527F-E272-47D2-9D24-3589E48B2CDB.jpeg

Nice sport to set up a hammock, at least for a person who has never setup a hammock before. Now let’s hope it stays up through the night

A7E35AAA-6F51-4727-8866-865C3923E44A.jpeg

My little spot of Heaven

49A145D8-4F46-4CBE-BF6C-F668C3518A09.jpeg 3CEEBFDC-17D4-4C0E-9B4E-04069EB22405.jpeg
  20. 77/7 1000

77/7 1000 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am Envious as a Marble Flocker!
    Big John you are the guy I will emulate after my /7 is up and running.
    I see the way you Point and Go, That's going to be my Plan of Attack.
    Open Road, Open Dreams.
    Charlie
    WRC51 and Jim K in PA like this.