R75 in search of peace at the devils hwy

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by johnwesley, Apr 25, 2019.

1. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Point and Go, well put 77/7. Great report and photos.
  2. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    The Hammock deal didn’t work out so hot. The wind was so fierce that it was moving the trees which in turn made the hammock bounce. I’m not sure it was meant for a 220 lb gorila bouncing around in it. The rain fly ended up in my face. About midnight I’d had enough. Into the tent I went. The heat from the sun woke me up to let me know it was time to get moving, but not before I made a nice aero press coffee. My friends at Ouachita Roasters sent me off with some nice tear 2 beans ground up just for my areopress. It’s a great way to kick off the day. Once all packed up and ready for the day I went to get my sunglasses and they were gone. I know I put them in a d-ring while I set up camp and they should have still been there. Being bright green I figure something along the line of a coon took them. It’s the only thing that makes sense.

All packed up and ready for what lies ahead. Pie Town here I come. I have been eating out of my tank bag all day. It’s beef jerky, nuts and a jar of peanut butter. Pie town will be the first indoor sit down place I will eat on this trip. I did buy a homemade chile burrito out of a lady’s ice cheat. Pretty good at that and cheap, two dollars please.

It was a nice ride through New Mexico the scenery is constantly changing as the miles roll on. My reason for the day soon rolls up in view, but Pie-oneer was shut down, bummer. There was a place that opened 4 years ago to replace it. They have mini pies and you buy the whole pie. You have the option to eat half now and have the rest to go or eat the whole thing. To sweeten the deal I had ala mode peach pie. Half now and half to go. I figure that will make a nice camp treat. The plan was to stay just off nm103, but it was to early for me so I pressed on. Riding into Alpine with wind blowing the bike around and rain pelting me as I try to hide behind that tiny shield. Once in Alpine I stoped for gas and to ask around about camping options. There was a place just a few miles up the road and another about 45 mins. I know I wanted about another hour in the saddle and didn’t want to stop in the rain. 45 minutes sounded good. Once out by the bike an older man struck up a conservation about the bike. Hey thats one of them older bmw, ain’t it? Yep sure is, a 1975 model. He wants to know how much I wanted for it. It’s not for sale I replied. You want to trade it even for a Valkyrie? No sir, well you don’t even know what one is. Sure I do thats why I don’t want to trade. :D Next came the offer of a Harley, but still not worth trading ole blue. He Asked If I could take 180 instead. Sure I can, as I got on the bike. He hollered then you should its snowing on top of Blue and storms blowing in. Problem is 180 isn’t in my plans. So off I go paying no mind the the elderly gent. Wouldn’t be the first or last time I got caught up in the snow. He was right it did snow and there was a storm that went through, but I’m glad I stayed the course.I ended up running about an hour and a half and stayed at a hiking camp spot. I was determined to give the hammock one more go. I got it set up and started with he rain fly when he wind picked backup. I hurried and staked one side down and started on the other when a big rush of wind and rain hit tearing the stakes out of the ground and blow the tarp up like a kite. Once the rain started in I hurriedly took the hammock down trying to keep it somewhat dry. Feeling bummed about the whole deal I set up the tent for the night and got the cot put together. About the time I was done the rain had quit. I sat around for a bit and decided I may as well give the hammock another shot. This time the weather held off until I got it all set up and ready for the night. I called it early, about 8pm I crawled in. Waking at 10:30 I realized I didn't take my meds and I was getting cold. Up and out with the flash light I looked around for my meds and got the therma rest out of the tent along with my sleeping bag. It was just what I needed. I stayed warm all thought the night and slept much better than I do in a tent.

Beam me up

[​IMG]

Love this kind of riding

[​IMG]

A little selfie action

[​IMG]

It’s not everyone who gets to eat pie at Pie Town

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time change again

[​IMG]

I just love this stuff

[​IMG]

There be snow in dem dare hills

[​IMG]

After the storm started I parked the bike in the shed

[​IMG]

Hammock set up for the second time

[​IMG]

That’s all for today folks
  3. sandsman

sandsman Shut up and ride!!!!

Oddometer:
    Adventure at it's best, sounds like a great time John.
  4. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    Just some quick facts while I’m stoped for some Mexican food in Fort Davis.

1,800 miles on the bike and used 1/2 a quart. That’s pretty good for a 1975 BMW.

The last 3 tanks have been 38 mpg
    The low was 27mpg

I may not make it home on this back tire. That’s the bad thing about a bike you don’t really know. You cannot go by what others get for mileage.

My high speed was 92mph not bad for an overload mule.

The cool idea BMW had for a med kit in the nose of the seat doesn’t feel very good after a few thousand miles.

Last thought I love this Bike.

6C5BEDB1-F88B-4670-A4FE-73E3F6157C52.jpeg
    bobw, Ginger Beard, Bigger Al and 5 others like this.
  5. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    Morning coffee, with a hick from the sticks. Warning this is below amateur hour on YouTube. But it’s at least some insight on the trip and how I do camp coffee.

If you want I’ll throw up a early morning in the hammock vid.

6. sandsman

Oddometer:
    Hey John, you picked a good time to be gone...….it's raining like nobody's business, and for the next couple days too.
    johnwesley likes this.
  7. sandsman

Oddometer:
    Pie and brewed coffee for breakfast, it can't get much better than that, only in the mountains.
  8. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    Sleeping in the national forest can be an adventure all its own. The signage around the area warned of wolves that had been released into the area weighing upwards of 80lbs. The instructions told what to do if you encounter one. Then the next piece of info was on the bears in the area, not good reading just before bed. Getting back to nature is very interesting. When I was camping all the time the animals never bothered me, now that it has been a decade I’m more aware. I never once worried about the bike, but in a motel, I like to park it where I can see the bike. I’m not worried about the animals at motels just the people. I prefer the camping experience. When camping I wake and do coffee without worrying about the pressure to get on the road, the coffee tastes better and my general mood is better. In the motel, I wake up and instantly want to be on the road. Noting enticing me to stay and enjoy the experience. In the woods the birds serenade me as I wake and nature invites to me enjoy being in the presence of God’s grandeur. It’s as if it was meant to be, to enjoy the small moments in life. To allow the pressure of hurry to fade away. Come stay with me is the song that seduces me to stay a little longer.

[​IMG]

The stay was a grand one, a great nights sleep in the wild with the gentle breeze to keep me company, rocking me as I sleep like a mom to her child. As I wake to the sunrise I think of how wonderful this experience is for me, how blessed I am to have this opportunity. I know that a great cup of coffee awaits me, all I have to do is get up. The hammock just holds me in place, so warm and the view mesmerizing. I don’t want to move I’m in the cocoon of satisfaction. Eventually, the draw of the day, the lure of the day drags me out of the warmth and into a nice cup of coffee. To just sit and enjoy the outdoors waking up. I’m in no hurry today.

What awaits me today is probably the best scenery and curves of the entire trip, they are rhythmic in nature like a dance. This is turning out to be a great day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. bmwhacker

bmwhacker Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer:
    Old "666"....excellent ride!....we rode parts of it on our sidehack rig a few years ago while we were working near Grants, NM.

This view was awesome!....outside Hannigan Meadow.

[​IMG]

The huge mine in the distance

[​IMG]
    bobw, Ginger Beard, Webman and 4 others like this.
  10. radmeister

radmeister Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    i am enjoying this thread immensely, jw. keep posting. i have had that shit eatin' grin on my face countless times. always associated with an airhead. you may wish to cross post this thread to airhead ride reports, if that is possible. it seems that not too many airheads are viewing your report. your report is excellent. safe travels, richard.
    johnwesley and WRC51 like this.
  11. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:

Thanks man, I have a mirrorless camera I took some pics with. I need to get them down load so I can show some “nice” pics. Signal has been non existent. I just got back to WiFi. I hope to throw an update your way tonight.

I put a link in the ride report area, not much movement on that thread though. This has been a great bonding time with the machine and I have some changes coming up because of it.
  12. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    Having computer issues, I should resolve tomorrow. I did manage this little pic for ya though.

364A3582-71F4-415C-AB3E-C5921547275F.jpeg
    bobw, Ginger Beard, Webman and 7 others like this.
  13. WRC51

WRC51 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Love this report johnwesley, your trek makes my little 50 mile treks seem like child's play.:D
  14. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    A great day was right. I loved riding this section of road. the morning has me in a great mood and I was just soaking up the views. Not to start anything, but I have never been considered a greenie. I like the outdoors as much as anyone, but I' not into the marches and all that goes with being an activist. Never really give it much thought. When I got through one nice set of curves I could see a mining area. No great deal until I got close and realized the mountains were stripped of their beauty, not just a section either, for miles. It seemed to hit me harder than ever the need for the National Forest that we have. The access we have is something to treasure. If not protected then the whole area could be stripped for money's sake. The beauty lost forever and generations never having the ability to enjoy the road or the scenery. Just my thoughts as I drove through the area. For this reason, I would advise running the road from south to north. It would be less of a shock and the end of the run you would be left with great memories. From 191 I went west on 78. The speed limits were very low through this section and after the grand 191 it is less inspiring but great fun and good scenery all the same.

WARNING: picture overload. Some people use pictures to help a story, my story is in pictures
    [​IMG]

Hwy 78 entering the National Forest

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the gravel here was deep and the kickstand would sink right through. So I used the crash bar on the guard rail. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

we're in New Mexico now buddy NM78

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this pic was snuck in. Had a copper behind me and didn't want him to see me driving with one hand and taking pictures with the other

[​IMG]
    bobw, Webman, WRC51 and 3 others like this.
  15. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    My plan is to ride to Cloudcroft and stay in a NF campground. it was a good plan too. That's for later, back to where I left off. Taking 78 to 180 I head south toward Silver City and the end to the curves and mountainous landscape. the wind is now blowing at a 45-degree angle to the front and causing me some issue as it gusts and pushes the bike around some. The overloaded and underpowered R75 just keeps on chugging away at 75mph as if it doesn't know it shouldn't be. This old little bike is very surprising at what it will do. the gas mileage may not be great when it's being pushed but it doesn't complain. We are heading to the interstate and then taking 70 on up to Cloudcroft. its not long after Cloudcroft that y lack of eating a meal starts to get to me and I'm on the hunt for good Mexican food. I pass what looks like an interesting place, and have to exit and backtrack to it. I walk in and notice its a small little place where you seat yourself. The waitress came by and took my order letting me know that today tacos were one dollar apiece. Great, I'll take one with my meal, green enchiladas, please.

[​IMG]

now its an easy drive up to Cloudcroft. It was getting late as I pulled in so I was in a bit of a hurry to find the campsite. I asked around at a few places but no one seemed to know about the local camp areas. I pulled in to the NF campground I had found and right away I knew something wasn't right. there was a host RV parked at the entrance and the dive was paved. This is nothing like what I was doing, so I rode down to the sign to read it. Fee area twenty-two dollars a night. What? that much to hang a hammock for a night? you've got to be kidding. I mean if it was a full service KOA it would be easier to understand. maybe I'm spoiled with these nice free spots. I decided it was too late to go hunting around the area, so I dive off toward my next destination certain that I would find a camp area. Tonight that would not happen, after 30ish miles the trees disappeared. So off I went to Artesia to a cheap motel that was expensive. My experience of the rural mountains was over and what lies ahead was flat roads and big trucks with lots of construction. My room would have been fifty dollars in most places, but a town with a lot of oil field workers had driven the price up to ninety bucks.
    bobw, Ginger Beard, ShimrMoon and 2 others like this.
  16. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    This motel is no place I want to hang out and enjoy the morning. I pack up the bike after a quick cup of coffee and hit the road. Today's scenery is all about the oil field, oil field trucks, and construction work. It's just a ride of endurance until I hit Pecos and cross I-20. at one of the ake shift 4way stops I pulled up and stopped just after a car on the other side. I give him a few seconds to move when a semi truck blew right through the 4 way and turned in front of me. Good thing I was being kind to the car or I would have been splattered across the highway.

yes, that is the truck in front of me.
    [​IMG]

After Pecos, I head toward Balmorhea. Then the scenery begins to improve. Fort Davis ahead. I have liked this little wonder since the first time I rolled through, its a little mountain area in the midst of flat open spaces. This is the location of the Davis Mountain Rally.

[​IMG]

Fort Davis is a small community with all the charm of the wild west. It's a great place to stay a night and look around. They have the observatory for looking at the stars, and the Old Fort historical site with tours. Top that with the Davis Mountain loop of about 80 miles and you have a nice place to spend a day. Rumor has it at night this is the darkest sky in the world and people come out to this area for star gazing. If you like weird unexplained stuff then there are the Marfa lights. Really it's a good place to hang with friends at night and shoot the breeze while watching for lights to pop up on the horizon at night. plenty to do in the area. One other thing, when here go to Alpine and head west toward Marfa a few miles out of town is El Patio. Stop in and order the stacked enchiladas with red sauce. They are to die for, gotta do it at least once and if you're lucky twice.

[​IMG]

once I got into town and unloaded the bike I noticed the tire was low on tread, so low I wasn't sure I would make it home on the tire. No riding around the area for me. I met Pam there and she was kind enough to loan me her little bike to run around on and see the sights while she piled on behind her husband. The bike is a little 390 Duke, I looked the bike over and thought that would make a great bike for the wife to run around town on and enjoy when I'm not around. She has an Indian Cheiftan but doesn't ride it alone in case she gets in a bad place with it. With this 350 lb bike, she could do what she wanted on it. Looking forward to having a bike to play with I folded up on the bike and took off. This little jewel is a blast and has a heart. It's smooth running down the road at 80 mph even with my 220lb self on it. the wind protection was good too. I had a blast shooting through the curves on that little bike and while it looked tiny my knees didn't bother me on it. some nice little saddle bags and this thing could do duty as a light sport touring bike. I have some research to do when I get home and a jeep to put up for sale.

Pam is all of 5'2" tall
    [​IMG]

After the event, Matt and Pam thought it would be good if I let them haul my bike to their house taking 400 miles off my rear tire. The plan was to ride Matt's 1290 ADV to his house. I jumped at the opportunity to try the big KTM out for some miles. The day before I was to leave Matt brought the KTM back to camp on a trailer. It left him stranded on the river road. this is the second tie in a year that it quit running and needed a trailer, may not be long before he finds another adventure bike. Luckily the 390 is small enough to load in the back of the truck. Then the r75 fit where the 390 was. A big benefit was Pam did a shrimp boil for supper and we enjoyed a great meal together. Matt and Pam are the ones who talked me into hammock camping. The ride home was dry and uneventful I did stop at TNT diner, in Bonham, for breakfast and had the Spanish mix. That held me over till I got home. It was a good thing I took them up on the trailer since when I got home the tire was smooth and past needing to be changed.

[​IMG]

I think I need a new tire, good thing the rain stayed away
    [​IMG]
  17. cementhead

cementhead n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi there John,
    Love your old R75 (brings me back to the two I owned) and I love your Aeropress. We've been making our coffee with the Aeropress for awhile now. We retired our Mr. Coffee. It just tastes soooo good with the 'press!
  18. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:

I agree the aeropress is my favorite way to do camp coffee. Just nothing else like it and it’s so easy to make. Makes a perfect cup. I guess the issue is if you want more than one cup then it’s twice the work vs other ways. Since we now have a local roaster it’s even better. He hooks me up with a neat blend to try and we worked together to get the grind right.

It was nice to have on this trip.
  19. cementhead

cementhead n00b

Oddometer:
    So, to make 2 cups put in twice the amount of coffee grounds (2 scoops), twice the water, up to about 4 on the side. Press into one cup, pour half into another and add hot water to fill each. Can use this method for 3 or 4 cups also, just add more grounds and increase stir time to about 20 seconds. They come out just like a single cup. It's in the directions that comes with it. We threw the first directions away but after buying a second Aeropress for wife travels I actually read and saved those directions! YMMV.
    bobw likes this.
  20. johnwesley

johnwesley wanta be

Oddometer:
    Need to try that. We had a roaster move to town and decided to open up a little coffee shop. Long story short, we became friends and he gave me an aero press to use with his beans. So no instructions came with mine. He helps me understand coffee and I’m helping him get into motorcycling. It’s a good fit.
    Webman likes this.