R800GS over the TA

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Rixb, Feb 21, 2009.

1. Rixb

Rixb n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi there

Ive been lurkin for a few weeks.

The info and assistance on these boards is fantastic and I hope to be
    an active member in the years to come.

Ive think Ive nailed it down to which bike i'm going to buy: the F800gs
    At first I was planning to buy the 700 TA but now favour the GS.

I have always dirt bikes this is why I favour the style of these bikes
    over 100% road bikes, even though I dont plan to use this bike to much
    off Road. I will be taking the bike on camping trips around europe and if I ever get the chance a little further may be in the future. Sometimes 2 up some times solo

I have the cash to buy new...my question is in your opinion is this the
    correct choice.
    Rich
  2. The Griz

The Griz Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got to you before all the orange-peelers and wee-lovers and thumper-pumpers!! Yes!

Anyway, I've ridden dirt bikes my whole life too. Before buying, I test rode a KTM 990 Adventure, a Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS, and a BMW R1200GS Adventure. None of them "fit" me well, and didn't get me excited. Until I rode an F800GS. I've been riding it on and off road for quite a while now. It's smooth and powerful on road, and has a lot of torque and good balance off road. The front forks could use a few suspension upgrades. But the rear shock is really nice. And don't worry about if it can handle carrying gear and a passenger. The rear shock on this thing is beefy as hell. The lowest spring preload setting is for a 187lb (85kg) person with a full tank of gas! It can handle a lot of weight. I think you're making a good choice. :thumb
  3. Rixb

Rixb n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply

The more Im looking into it the more I'm liking the GS, I dont think I could live with the looks of the V-strom, or the potential maintenance KTM 990 Adventure.

If I buy new BMW offer an ABS, heated grips package. at £795 Im not convinced its worth it. Whats your take on it.

Also whats the bike like on motorway trips

Cheers
  4. The Griz

Oddometer:
    The heated grips are very nice. But I myself am not a fan of ABS on a motorcycle. I don't like the thought of a computer controlling my braking. And I've experienced ABS errors first hand.

The options I had installed are: On-Board Computer, Heated Grips, and Center Stand.

No ABS and Anti-Theft alarm.
  5. Rixb

Rixb n00b

Oddometer:
    Not sold on the ABS either.

but the heated grips and stand seem like a practical choice. If I buy new then they are def on the list...

2nd hand I guess what ever the bike comes with.....saying that there are not to many 2nd hand examples about, hopefully thats testament to the quality of the bike

Are there any downsides to ownership that I should know about.
  6. MoToad

MoToad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wasn't sold on the ABS either till I actually experienced it. A definate must have!
  7. The Griz

Oddometer:
    Let's not start the ABS debate, thank you.
  8. earthroamer

earthroamer Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer:
    that's funny:rofl
  9. jjolly3

jjolly3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Rich,

Have you test ridden the GS and looked at the seat height options? It looks like a really good bike. I test rode the 650 version at a local dealer and it was very comfortable and did not have the quirky shifting like my R series GS. I would imagine that the 800 has more off road bias with the 21" front tire and other extras. The ABS can be disabled prior to tackling the trails. It is not bad for wet weather and BMW has done its homework over the years with the systems.

Good luck in your choice and post pictures once you buy it.
  10. Rixb

Rixb n00b

Oddometer:
    I have been to BMW Manchester on thier open day a couple of weeks ago.

My old fella has the K1200r and so he was looking at a possible swap to the new 1300...which btw would have been a serious waste of cash, so he didnt.

Up until then my mind was set on the 700 TA, The Honda seemed to for fill the brief and is fairly inexpensive leaving more spare cash for kit and trips etc.

whilst I was there I did the decent thing and took a look at the 650 and the 800. Big mistake the 800GS looked and felt right, I only got to sit on the bike but it felt spot on. Im 6ft 3in 180lbs.

Now ive kinda been trying to talk myself out of the 800. 'is it worth the extra spend' 'Have I just been brain washed by the advertising' I think the answer is yes to both........im just delaying the inevitable, only a test ride will see if its worth the extra 3k over the honda.

However if I buy new the ABS will have to go as I dont want to take out finance and those options just bang the cost of the bike to an unjustifiable level..not sure BM will do me a deal
  11. dogtired

dogtired SECRET ASIAN-MAN

Oddometer:
    If you have the cash I say go for it. Go get the F800GS whether its new or used because it sounds like you've made up your mind about the F800GS. Not to sound trite, but life is too short to sweat the little details of which bike, how much, abs or no abs. Do it and enjoy! If it ends up not being your cupotea, then sell it and find another one that works for you.
  12. Rixb

Rixb n00b

Oddometer:
    last place I expected a philosophic answer, but cool thanks for the input.

I Might see if I can find a 2nd hander with some toys. Like the idea of the computer and the Heated grips.

I guess the ABS is just something else with the potential to go wrong