Races to Places - Taking an adventure ride to the next level

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Pyndon, Feb 28, 2014.

1. BLucare

BLucare ADV General Counsel

Oddometer:
    Back OnIt in Africa! :pynd

"Almost 10,000km since leaving Cape Town So many stories and we’ve already edited 4 Africa Episodes for Season 10.....it’s all coming "

[​IMG]
    VDG, thirsty 1, caliform and 10 others like this.
  2. BLucare

Oddometer:
    It's Wednesday. We know what that means. :thumb

"When it’s Wednesday and you’re on a speed limited liaison at a rally. There’s always time for a #wheeliewednesday ✊️ At this years Kalahari Rally with Ross Branch. Fun times "

zookster, VDG, crashkorolyk and 3 others like this.
  3. BLucare

Oddometer:
    PYN-ing it into the weekend :ricky

"Fail Friday: Controlling multiple cameras is never easy, here I captured what can happen if you are concentrating on your cameras too much This is one of my favorite camera angles to show how important your body movement is (sorry for sound, didn’t have time to add mic audio)"

"Changing my swing arm mid stage in the Kalahari Rally was not something I thought I’d ever have to do. Thankfully, I found the stricken 450 Rally of Greg Raaff and managed to get it swapped and get back in the game. People often ask me why I carry such a comprehensive yet minimalistic tool kit, this is why! Greg was seriously injured but is in recovery, sending big wishes to him for a full and strong recovery and I can’t wait to race alongside him again. Greg is a top bloke that was a big player in getting me to the event in the first place "

[​IMG]

"Basil Bike topped over 175km/h at the Kalahari rally, not bad for an old boy

[​IMG]
    BruceT, forgorin, scudo and 10 others like this.
  4. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    My wife and I ran into a couple Lyndon stayed with in Thailand I think they said. They had met him while they were traveling by bicycles.
    Small world.
    Yes, I had my LPR jacket on as it is cold and damp here. Also my LPR pack.

[​IMG]
    NSFW, kingorange and BLucare like this.
  5. BLucare

Oddometer:
    BruceT, JustBob, scudo and 10 others like this.
  6. crashkorolyk

crashkorolyk just happy to ride

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update mate,your decision about Dakar makes sense,and no matter what you decide,we`ll all be supporting your great efforts in RTP no matter.Good luck in Africa,looking forward to the rest of the adventure!
  7. C.J.

C.J. Sierra Nevada Rider

Oddometer:
    Nice, do more when you can.
  8. BLucare

Oddometer:
    Pyn has been out and about in Namibia recently :ricky Looks like a fantastic place! :pynd

"Triple caution !!! Drop off !!! Looks like a good camping spot to me "

[​IMG]

"Namibia, where it’s so hot the sign is frying Basil says goodbye to South Africa and we both say hello to Namibia Country number 64 on Races to Places"

[​IMG]

"Where the track ends...Namibia "

[​IMG]

"Randomly bumped into this group on tour in Namibia today, tag yourselves if you are in this photo Have a safe trip guys ✊️"

[​IMG]

"Dune 7 (or rather Dune 2) in Namibia! Making cool video, going to be an awesome episode. Basils loving it! "

"What a day "

[​IMG]
    scudo, ullukk, Mr Head and 12 others like this.
  9. BLucare

Oddometer:
    Alright, y'all – in case anyone missed it from a few previous posts ago, Lyndon is doing the 2018 Roof of Africa Hard Enduro event in Lethoso, which takes place December 6-8 :ricky Short video below, with a few more posts :pynd

"Not quite sure what I’ve got myself into here but it for sure will make a fun story! This time I’ve left the rally bikes out of the country and let’s hope nothing gets stolen on the way to the race! Huge thanks to KTM South Africa, MOTOREX Powersports, Michelin Motorcycle, and everyone that’s playing their part in getting me there."

"Down but not out Random stills from drone represent how I feel today pretty well A sign of the footage to come on Races to Places in Season 11. Mikey and the newly revised R2P media team are busy pulling together Season 11 already, more on that soon "

[​IMG]

"Decided to make my morning mission to find a lathe and fix a little niggle I’ve had with the bike. Clutch pressure plate is so warn from the outer friction plate that it was touching metal to metal causing clutch judder. Solution....reface the LPR 7000 series high strength aluminum alloy pressure plate. Good for another 200,000km I reckon "

[​IMG]

"I’ll always share it as it is, yesterday was awesome, today sucked. Always the unexpected around the corner. Got sick today so turned back and took rest...and a bath. It’s important to be 100% for where I’m riding. "

[​IMG]
    forgorin, scudo, ullukk and 8 others like this.
  10. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    Bloody awesome!
    BLucare likes this.
  11. BLucare

Oddometer:
    More from Namibia today :thumb Oh, and some shots of the LPR Factory Rally Adventure 774 build. Not sure how recent it is, but who cares?! Just look at the shed-load of carbon fiber :raabia :pynd

[​IMG]

:ricky

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Kona990, JustBob, mtnslide and 16 others like this.
  12. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    Dead sexy
  13. BLucare

Oddometer:
    Africa looks positively ace :thumb more of the good stuff from Pyn this past week :ricky And look! Elephants!

"Riding the Omaruru River bed in Namibia, found this old cable cart. Would love to see a picture of it in use and water in the river, must have been some years ago! Was very soft in places and I almost got stuck in mud further up "

[​IMG]

"I bet this truck has some stories....a bit like my ride today! Gave the Enduristan Monsoon EVO prototypes a good bashing....twice "

[​IMG]

"Basil found some new fiends today while hanging in a river bed"

[​IMG]

"Celebrating an EPIC 10 days in remote Namibia this morning with this Wheelie Wednesday selfie! Can’t wait to share my footage with you all from this section of my trip, mind blowing "

[​IMG]
    BruceT, mtnslide, Mr Head and 9 others like this.
  14. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love it when Pyn doesn't hold back to keep us excited.

Nice pics!
    Mr Head and HandCanonShootr like this.
  15. BLucare

Oddometer:
    Lots to catch up on over the last week! The Roof of Africa 2018 starts TODAY, and Lyndon will be on an awesome bike :ricky lots of pics to follow, and updates on general Africa travels, as well :thumb Enjoy! :pynd

"Days and days picking my way through this terrain, so much better than taking the main tracks and roads "

[​IMG]

"Good morning Namibia! This little girl looks on at the huge white guy pouring petrol into his bike from Cola bottles probably wondering 'where in the heck is he from'”

[​IMG]

"Beasts of Africa taking shade under a tree. 600mm lens and no tripod "

[​IMG]

"Interacting with the local Himba nomadic tribes in Namibia was a special experience. Communicating without language, only gestures and facial expressions. Being allowed into their camp and homes to take a look around and see how they live was very interesting and a memorable moment. More pictures to follow and of course video in R2P Season 11 "

[​IMG]

"When you are cruising along in Namibia and the next thing you wash out the front and face plant into a thorny tree! "

[​IMG]

"Amazing what you can find by asking locals, this back of beyond machine shop is pretty well equipped and such nice people"

"Showing the locals how to fix a puncture, they were mesmerized. I enjoy the time out a good puncture brings, chance to engage with the environment and make a win of the situation"

[​IMG]

"Another beast is born! Busy working on the tools today fitting an LPR 732 kit and Camshaft to this KTM690 ⚙️"

"There’s a visitor this morning! "

[​IMG]

"Going racing "

[​IMG]

"It’s going to be nice to race a small bike again! ✊️ This week I will race the @roofofafrica in Lesotho Pictures of the bike to follow, 250 TPI is the weapon of choice "

[​IMG]

"Riding Namibia solo through such remote parts was a great adventure. Carrying up to 50 litres of fuel and exploring places I otherwise wouldn’t have reached. Some spectacular scenery, photography and videography was had. I particularly like this one. Never give up on your dream, make them goals and chip away at them."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Job done, another LPR732 motor built and ready for action this time in South Africa Very busy couple of days, if you think you can’t keep up imagine how I feel Right, heading to Lesotho tomorrow for @roofofafrica and some ✊️✊️✊️"

[​IMG]

"100 "

[​IMG]

"CHECK THIS OUT!!! KTM South Africa and MOTOREX Powersports have prepared this awesome Motorex/KTM 250 TPI for the Roof. Lost for words, absolutely incredible support. Thanks to Akrapovic Exhaust System and Michelin Motorcycle also for their support, I can’t wait to ride this machine ✊️"

[​IMG]

"Look out for the world traveller at the Roof put-putting around, hopefully you don’t see him in this position Thanks to Leatt Protectives for the super lightweight and cool looking gear at the last minute "

[​IMG]

"Today at KTM South Africa "

"Huge thanks to Mercedes-Benz South Africa for providing my transport to get to the Roof, Mercedes are the official partner of the KTM South Africa race team "

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"#100 "

[​IMG]
  16. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damn. Awesome news.
    JustBob likes this.
  17. BLucare

Oddometer:
    Roof of Africa 2018 is done and dusted! :ricky :pynd

"Thanks for all the comments and likes, loving my followers and the engagement, thanks for taking the time, you rock . Met so many fans of what I do down here today and it’s a really special feeling. I’ll be working hard filming to bring the story to you the best I can through Races to Places "

[​IMG]

"Big thanks and shout out to Riaan from KTM South Africa for all his help today preparing for the race. Didn’t stop all day since 4am this morning, driving, spannering, shopping, feeding and preparing. He will support me at the Dedicated Service Points during the race over the coming days. He’s ONIT!"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"The wheels are in motion, first special test in the bag ✊️"

"Yeah!!!! “Ya better love rocks!!” Day one in the bag."

"One of the rock gardens on this mornings Enduro Cross test, some excited locals there, lekker lekker, go on china!! "

"A couple of photos from today courtesy of KTM South Africa and ZC Marketing Consulting Got very wet when the heavens opened "

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Credit for this one goes out to Ralph Hopkins :thumb

[​IMG]

"Finished today ✊️ 9 hours riding time to complete 140km Proper day, awesome scenery and terrain. "

"A few photos from today, more to follow... : KTM South Africa ZC Marketing Consulting and Lyndsay Cotton"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Live selfie from Lesotho, tomorrow will be interesting f it stays like this ☔️ Bikes all prepped and easy to roll"

[​IMG]

"Really great photos by Franziska Brandl, the Managing Director of KTM and Husqvarna South Africa. Not only is she here for the team, she’s also driving and running about capturing and sharing the event"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Finished....another medal for the house, when I finally get one "

[​IMG]

"Quick update from the finish line...."

"Textbook teamwork! Thanks Riaan for your support at Roof Of Africa- Mother of Hard Enduro We nailed it bro

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Stay focused on the goal , never give up and you will reep the rewards. The last 3 days was some of the hardest riding I ever did because I wasn’t prepared and I didn’t train for it...but I had the right mindset to see it through to the finish. Staying positive when you are cramping, falling, struggling and physically exhausted isn’t easy but it’s an absolute must to get the job done! "

[​IMG]

"Great little edit from Roof of Africa to give you an idea of the terrain, scenery and riding....enjoy "

elron, crashkorolyk, flei and 14 others like this.
  18. crashkorolyk

crashkorolyk just happy to ride

Oddometer:
    Another brilliant job mate,well done! Looking forward to the video.
  19. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    Walking along the beach trail here as we do I saw a lot of little kids with these balance bikes. I recalled seeing one from KTM once.
    We have a grandson we get to look after when his mom works from home a couple days a week. And since grandpa is a KTM, (me) :-)
    I figured to go looking.
    On CL of course. I may be a crazy grandpa, but I'm not stupid.
    OK, not that stupid.
    I found one.
    And close by.
    Picked it up the other night and today I had some time to mess with it.
    Not real fancy and I have a mini saddle on order the big touring saddle is no good for rally. :imaposer

Little Ogden won't really understand it for a while, he's three months old. But, mommy and daddy will be excited.
    I sure am.

And as long as I was at it, I figured why not an LPR sticker?

Representin'
    [​IMG]

I'll get a proper photo with grandpa's bike when it comes home in a week or so. :clap