Rach & Ed ride the TAT on Honda C90's

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by WanderOnAHonda, Aug 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WanderOnAHonda

WanderOnAHonda Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone!

My name's Rachel and me and my boyfriend Ed are currently riding our Honda C90's (with 120cc engines in them) from Alaska to Argentina.

We flew our bikes from England to Alaska on the 27th July 2014, and so far have ridden over 12,000 miles on them.

We haven't taken the most direct route as we ended up crossing Canada in the winter, which was partly for the adventure and challenge, and partly because a few people told us that we couldn't! We rode in -26C and camped in -34C, so we definitely got the challenge we were after.

We managed to do it with sheer determination however it meant that we ended up on the east coast.

After a look at possible routes to get back to the west coast, we decided that the best and most fun way would be on the Trans-America Trail, which we started yesterday. It should be a lot of fun, and as I know a lot of people want to do the TAT I wanted to share our experience; if we can make it on our little bikes, anyone can! I'll be posting a daily (when possible) ride report on here just for the duration of the TAT, as I can't commit to posting on here and my blog and FB page for the whole trip, which is going to last another 2 years. I hope you enjoy the ride reports and photo's, and I'll do my best to post daily if/when we have internet!

I hope you enjoy the ride as much as we do, and thank you for following! :)

Attached Files:

StanBo, davidp14, 10ecjed and 31 others like this.
  2. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    Wow, great shots, great bikes, some pretty extreme conditions.... I'm in :clap
    WanderOnAHonda and WindOfCB like this.
  3. sullyfam

sullyfam Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is gonna be fun! Subscribed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    WanderOnAHonda likes this.
  4. Troyba

Troyba Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm in!:lurk
  5. damurph

damurph Cold Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The far east of the far east of North America
    Good kids having fun.

And may I compliment you on the Cape Spear photo. The camera operator was obviously highly skilled.
    WanderOnAHonda and OR_Rider like this.
  6. agplant

agplant Ride Fast Travel Slo

Oddometer:
    Another one to watch:lurk
  7. BK

BK Electron herder

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed the video! Have a great trip.
  8. HOTPASS

HOTPASS F*ck cancer.

Oddometer:
    So..so..in for this !!
  9. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    IN! You make me want to be young and foolish again!
  10. krackerx7

krackerx7 n00b

Oddometer:
    Fantastic, if you need anything when you ride through Colorado let me know
  11. Dark Helmet

Dark Helmet Go to ludicrous speed!

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah, in big time. May be tame versus Canada in winter. You may want to attack a bear or wheelie those Honda's through Nevada to up the challenge.

Have fun, we are all behind you (from the safety of our couches and recliners)

DH
  12. squirrelrocket

squirrelrocket Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In!! I've been following Ed's YouTube channel for months, can't get enough of yinz guys adventures and humor! Keep up the good work!!!
  13. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    Awesome! :lurk:lurk

HF :thumbup
  14. i4bikes

i4bikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What can I say, I'm in. The snow PICs hooked me.
  15. HighTechCoonass

HighTechCoonass Living the Dream....

Oddometer:
    Sweet! In like Flinn
  16. Oldone

Oldone One day at a time!

Oddometer:
  17. dixiethedog

dixiethedog Day tripper

Oddometer:
    Im so happy to see you's on here. I have watched and watched and watched your video's and loved every moment. Your humour is great,whilst most people would give up,you start bike bowling on ice.
    Im watching from the edge of my seat.:D
  18. Dirt Road Cowboy

Dirt Road Cowboy I aim to misbehave.

Oddometer:
    Cool! :lurk
  19. The Easy Rider

The Easy Rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Met you at the Edmonton, AB Bike show - have been following ever since.
    p.s. - sorry about the police in Quebec. (apologizing on behalf of Canada).
  20. WanderOnAHonda

WanderOnAHonda Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Day 1
    Thurs 6th August

Well it was a fun and relatively easy start to the TAT, despite my bike spewing out all of it's oil as we stopped in Tellico Plains for fuel. Ed had just pulled up to chat to some other TAT riders, and as I leant my bike over a sudden puddle appeared by my feet. 'Erm, Ed!' I shouted. 'I've got a problem!' This was much to the other guys' amusement, as I wandered over to get some tools to investigate. 'We're prepared, honest!' The truth is we couldn't be less prepared if we tried. Ed's engine is on it's last legs, his panniers fell off yesterday and had to be reattached with bungies, and my bike, the reliable one, had suddenly deposited all of it's oil on the forecourt of a fuel station. 'Let's hope this isn't a case of start as you mean to go on!' I said jokingly, taking the side casing off my bike.

Luckily my issue was an easy fix, as I discovered that the oil seal for the gearbox output shaft had popped out. We couldn't work out why it had happened, last time it did it was because the breather pipe was full of ice. In baking 30C heat there definitely wasn't any ice, and with a quick check we found that the breather pipe was completely clear. A lot of the seals had gone hard from riding across Canada in the winter, so with a good splodge of super glue we pushed the seal back in and we were off on our way.

The day was a mix of paved backroads, gravel roads and dirt roads through the forest, with a few river crossings thrown in for good measure. We'd been told that people were going round the river crossings as a few bikes had been taken down, but with information usually being inaccurate we decided to check them out for ourselves. Having not had any rain in the last week they were all pretty shallow, apart from the first one that looked shallow but was actually quite deep in the middle, which Ed discovered when he was halfway across it.

His bike cut out as the water covered the exhaust and the air filter, and he was forced to put his feet down to keep it upright. Needless to say he got rather wet, as did the contents of his panniers as they aren't waterproof anymore and we forgot to get some dry bags. We did however discover that his boots are completely waterproof, as absolutely none of the water that had got in them could get out.

Continued...

Attached Files:

Tomocan, 10ecjed, cb200t and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.