Rach & Ed ride the TAT on Honda C90's

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by WanderOnAHonda, Aug 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WanderOnAHonda

WanderOnAHonda Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    His spark plug was wet and the air filter was soaked, but with a few minutes to drain and dry it the bike started first kick.

The gravel roads were pretty easy to ride, except when there were fairly big rocks and gulleys to navigate over, which saw multiple items from Ed's bike get flung in different directions, along with my boobs. Note to self: wear sports bra tomorrow.

The second crossing saw us riding through a flurry of yellow butterflies, and as I came up the other side Ed said my eyes came out on stalks. It was quite steep and my eyes tend to do that when I'm not entirely sure that I'm going to make it, or if I lose control. Either way it means that something interesting could happen at any moment.

The third river crossing was rather slippery but we both made it unscathed, although I did my usual rag doll impression as I bounced around trying to stay upright.

River crossings weren't the only obstacles, as we came round a corner and discovered a big fallen tree right in our path.

Luckily Ed's got an axe and he likes using it, so while he was slaving away cutting the tree down, I nibbled away on some berries that I found under it.

Having small bikes we could have got away with cutting a small branch down to get through, but knowing that the three guys we'd just met on bigger bikes were going to be following in a few days, Ed decided to chop down the larger one so they'd be able to get through too.

Continued...

Attached Files:

globalt38, 10ecjed, cb200t and 3 others like this.
  2. WanderOnAHonda

WanderOnAHonda Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After lots of chopping, hard work and sweating he'd finally done it, and we were able to ride on and see what was round the next corner.

The weren't any more river crossings and trees blocking our way for the rest of the ride, just back roads and gravel roads with potholes and bumps. The latter saw the contents of my basket explode all over the trail, and Ed's lights went flying down the road after a particularly bumpy section; we definitely need more Duck tape and bungies.

We were going to ride until around 7pm, but with the city of Cleveland nearby we decided to divert off the trail around 5.30pm to find some food and a motel, the latter of which we can't actually afford but we decided to treat ourselves anyway, especially as our all-you-can-eat dinner buffet only cost $8.99! Result :)

Attached Files:

davidp14, Tomocan, globalt38 and 6 others like this.
  3. Escaped

Escaped Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  4. Dark Helmet

Dark Helmet Go to ludicrous speed!

Oddometer:
    Oh, I like your style! I know what you are in for, and if you keep your wits about you and anticipate the coming challenges, you'll do great. The best thing about the TAT is that you aren't thrown on the hot coals right away. You get a chance to build your momentum, sort things out, and the challenges are presented to you as you have built experience and confidence . Just make sure things are sorted and you know your fuel range (what kinda MPG (oops that's mile per liter for you Brits) before you get to Nevada due to the remote areas. The long section through Denio Junction is a critical decision for fuel.

I will be watching with enthusiasm. Ride on!

DH
    WanderOnAHonda and GotDrySocks? like this.
  5. WYO George

WYO George Epstein didn’t kill himself

Oddometer:
    OK, you have my attention; carry on.
  6. Maverick75

Maverick75 Rat

Oddometer:
    Good stuff. Please carry on.
  7. MeinMotorrad

MeinMotorrad Long timer

Oddometer:
    In.
  8. Noshir

Noshir Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great stuff. Keep it going. Im in too.
  9. mikkei

mikkei xxx

Oddometer:
    Also in, what happens now?
  10. Champ7AC

Champ7AC n00b

Oddometer:
    Wow. Crossing Canada in winter reminded me of some early sourdoughs in Alaska headed for Nome, rode bicycles on the frozen Yukon river. You are the modern day sourdoughs. Toughness personified. Respect!
    WanderOnAHonda likes this.
  11. BobRob

BobRob Pick one Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  12. Mikemm

Mikemm Long timer

Oddometer:
    31 posts and only 4 by the OP.. cmon people.. lets not have 10 pages of "IN"s and leave room for the OP to post. There is a "watch thread" button at the top.

and the new "LIKE" button at the bottom of posts to show support for the OP
    torch, PJTX, 10ecjed and 4 others like this.
  13. callmethebreeze

callmethebreeze Zen Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Who Dares Wins
  14. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    hi!!! I am already a fan and follow Ed's channel on you tube. If you come by Baja let me know! you are welcome to stay here at my place!
  15. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    You two aren't taking this adventure riding stuff seriously enough. I love it. Did Ed try sticking his tongue to a metal pole again?
  16. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer:
    I like the laundry basket, much nicer than a milk crate.
  17. dixiethedog

dixiethedog Day tripper

Oddometer:
    Id agree normally with your sentiment,but Rach and Ed are living leg end's or even legend's in my motorcycle World. I dont know Mikemm if your familiar with their tale's and video's?? If not get yourself over to Youtube and search out C90 adventures. Get yourself in a comfy seat,relax and enjoy the(their) ride's.
    I think Her Majesty the Queen should be told of this pair,and present them with an award for motorcycling adventure's.
    "Please kneel down Ed,I knight you Sir Ed the Adventurer". Rach, Elizabeth cant give you a knighthood,so Id suggest maybe she could give you The Royal Guelphic Order. It's still a bit of a knighthood,so of equal merit.:D The motto of the Royal Guelphic order is, "Nec Aspera Terrent (Not afraid of difficulties).
    The perfect description for both of you! :D Or should that be,the perfect description of both of you's. :rofl
    WanderOnAHonda and RockBreaker like this.
  18. Dirtwannabe

Dirtwannabe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WOW!!! Just found this thread. My jaw is on the floor. You two are HARDCORE.:super
  19. Black Rhino

Black Rhino Closer to Dairy Queen than Steve McQueen.

Oddometer:
    Great stuff ! :beer
  20. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    Just lovely !! The video had me cracking up. Safe travels to you. Looking forward to the rest of your RR.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.