Rach & Ed ride the TAT on Honda C90's

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by WanderOnAHonda, Aug 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WanderOnAHonda

WanderOnAHonda Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Reeling with anger and frustration, running the mornings events over and over in my head, I suddenly started feeling funny, with hot flashes and an agonising pain in my abdomen. I'd got an upset stomach and had to relieve myself behind a rock, cursing the cook as I used up the last of our toilet paper. 'I bet she poisoned me on purpose!' I said. Ed pointed out it was probably where she kept touching her phone, scratching her arse and then touching our food. Thanks for that.

Feeling a little better but not 100%, we eventually got on to a paved road. It was the 140 'Warner Highway' and ran all the way to Lakeview, and eventually on to Medford. It was completely empty apart from a few passing vehicles, which was quite convenient as it was incredibly icy and slippery in places.

My fingers and toes hurt from the cold, but I looked out over the wide open scenery and sweeping views to help take my mind off it. The miles seemed endless staying on the same road, so to break it up we stopped off in Adel, where the man in Fields had said he'd got a cheap room. We were only stopping for a hot chocolate, despite the temptation of a cheap warm bed. The man serving was really sweet, a far cry from the last lot, and he kindly gave us a free refill along with a warming smile.

The scenery started to change from there. After riding through a valley, more trees and forest appeared, with the road becoming winding. It was dark by the time we arrived in Lakeview, but we managed to find a decent hotel where a lovely German guy was the manager. I was so pleased to be in the warm, and after a massive feast down at the local Mexican restaurant, we snuggled down in to what could possibly be the most comfortable bed we've ever slept in.

Attached Files:

10ecjed, i4bikes, mbanzi and 6 others like this.
  2. WanderOnAHonda

Oddometer:
    Hahaha Well when you put it like that, I now realise how strange it must have looked haha It'd just become the norm for me :D x
  3. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:
    Fields Station, Where you'd better be grateful or else because there is nothing for 100 miles in any direction.

:lol3
    WanderOnAHonda likes this.
  4. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    For info. the motel at Denio Junction is back up and running - I've not stayed there so don't know how basic it is, but the young couple who have taken over the restaurant seem keen to make it work. Still no fuel there as of last summer mind you.

Made me smile when Rachel mentioned the restaurant (presumably the same one with a gas station) at Adel - very nice people there too...

Jx
  5. juno

juno Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Rachel!

I read all the TAT reports, particularly the western portion as I have not been on that part yet. My hats off to you and Ed for persevering through! You have documented the most arduous trip I have read! You have done it with great photography, humor and style!
    Sorry to hear about the troubles at Fields Station! Hopefully it will end up in better hands some day!
    i4bikes likes this.
  6. vintagespeed

vintagespeed fNg

Oddometer:
    great RR, good style & pics!
  7. Dennis Sanchez

Dennis Sanchez Desert Rider

Oddometer:
    Rock on!!!
  8. Dennis Sanchez

Dennis Sanchez Desert Rider

Oddometer:
    Dream adventure
  9. CloudSplitter

CloudSplitter Putterer

Oddometer:
    Well, now I see why you didn't update your blog, back then. Waaaay too busy.

First, you guys made me wish I'd kept going, and finished Utah, Nevada, and Oregon, but now I'm not so sure. I do still plan to re-ride Colorado, then finish the rest, but not this year.

Looking forward to reading your last days on the TAT, and I hope you'll keep us updated as you head south.
  10. Ed_in_miami

Ed_in_miami Cubicle Traveler

Oddometer:
    Cool! Subscribed!
  11. Solaros1

Solaros1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some of the best photographs of the TAT yet. I've really enjoyed your report and look forward to following your adventures as they unfold.
    So many of the other riders haven't seemed to taken as many photographs as you have - I guessing that since you're cruising at a much slower pace its no big burden to stop for a moment to shoot a picture.
    For whatever reason I've really enjoyed the trip and am in awe of what you and Ed have accomplished. I just wish my wife had one tenth of the tolerance that you do for adventure.

Keep up the great work - you have a lot of admirers out here - and I mean that in the most complimentary terms possible.
  12. globalt38

globalt38 "A Fist Full of Throttle" Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    All I can say is "WoW!" Incredible trip, adventure, perseverance, and adaptability! Great read - thanks for taking the time to post it up!
  13. NeilW

NeilW 2-up Adventure Touring

Oddometer:
    It would be remiss of me to enjoy your ride report so much without at least saying thank you for taking the time and effort to post it all. A donation to the cause is due.

This is what I call the triple-threat of ride reports.
    • Great writing style
    • Great pictures
    • Above all, a remarkable story with charming staring characters!

I can barely imagine riding (I really mean constantly fixing) your machines, much less traveling the back roads across the country on them. You guys are plucky!

You've enchanted me with your tale.

Thank you.
  14. theofam

theofam Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rachel, thanks for taking the time to finish up the ride report. The perseverance you two possess is impressive!

If you choose to write a ride report as you head south, please include a link here.
    JMo (& piglet) likes this.
  15. WanderOnAHonda

Oddometer:
    TAT Day 104 (Lakeview, OR to Silver Lake, OR)

Tuesday 17th November - Wednesday 18th November

Partly due to laziness, but predominantly due to Ed having the best nights sleep he'd had in ages, we decided to enjoy another night in the massive comfortable bed. After a day of lazing, laundry, TV watching, eating and general procrastinating, we were feeling much more ready for another day on the trail.

With a warmer day came motivation, and as the snow and ice melted in the late morning sun, we loaded the bikes, grabbed a subway for breakfast/lunch, then hit the road around 11am. Ed's rear tyre was looking on the low side again, but with a quick visit to the Les Schwab tyre centre opposite the motel, we were pumped up and on our way.

A paved road took us out of town with pleasant scenery in every direction, consisting of soft pale grasslands and snow dusted mountains, against a backdrop of blue sky with fluffy grey tinged clouds.

Continued...

Attached Files:

16. WanderOnAHonda

Oddometer:
    We turned off on to long straight graded gravel roads before entering the forest, where the trail turned to dirt and packed down pine needles.

We wound our way up and down through the forest, with the evergreens getting increasingly taller, and despite having Sat Nav we still managed to take a few wrong turns; good luck navigating Oregon without one!

Continued...

Attached Files:

17. WanderOnAHonda

Oddometer:
    I caught the odd glimpse of a beautiful view as we climbed up a little higher, but we soon descended down again and got back down to the forest floor, where sunlight streamed in between the trees.

We eventually turned off on to a graded gravel road and started climbing our way up again, this time higher, and snow suddenly appeared as we turned a corner.

It was really slippery where it had melted and then frozen again, and as the ice was hidden under a layer of snow it continually caught us out. I just kept the power on and slid sideways, while Ed had a much harder time keeping upright and in a straight line.

Continued...

Attached Files:

18. WanderOnAHonda

Oddometer:
    Apart from the snow, slush and ice, the only other obstacle was a small fallen tree to ride around.

The snow was on and off though, and just when you thought it had gone for good, another stretch of it would appear and slow us down. After riding continually for quite some time we stopped on a snowy stretch for a toilet and food break, and a ranger kindly stopped to see if we were OK. I never know if people are questioning our sanity when they ask if we're OK, but either way he was happy when we said yes and left us to it.

As we slowly made our way down to lower elevation we thankfully left the snow behind us, but much to our surprise the trail turned to sand and meandered through the trees. We'd been warned about sand in Nevada but never in Oregon, and I imagined in the summer months it could be a real bitch to navigate. Thankfully for us though it was hard and compacted with the cold and moisture, and neither of us had any trouble riding on it.

We were soon spat out of the forest on to a red graded dirt road surrounded by fields, grassland and areas of forest, and as time was getting on we decided to take a shortcut via paved roads to cut out a few miles.

Continued...

Attached Files:

19. WanderOnAHonda

Oddometer:
    We've always tried to stick to the original TAT route as much as we can, but sometimes you can't or time and circumstances don't allow it. On this occasion we figured that the terrain wouldn't be any different to what we'd already ridden, and keen to get somewhere in the daylight we decided it was the best thing to do.

With our option of a shortcut it was paved road all the way to Silver Lake, but we still didn't get there in daylight as Ed got a puncture; typical.

Thankfully he managed to repair it and an hour or so later we arrived in Silver Lake, just in time to get the last motel room for a bargain $40. All in all a fairly easy non-eventful day, but another day closer to the finish line no less.

Attached Files:

mathdl, 10ecjed, BrixNaix and 8 others like this.
  20. jimmesa

jimmesa Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your adventure!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.