Racing Leather Fitment Input sought:

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by ganze, Oct 8, 2019.

1. ganze

ganze lone biker of the apocalypse

Oddometer:
    I completed my first track day a month ago and am gearing up for the next one. One of the big items on the list is a leather racing suit. I cannot see me spending much for a high end set of Alpinestars or Dainese leathers for the relatively few times I will use the suit. I have good street gear so wearing a monkey suit around just isn't going to happen. So I am looking at budget friendly option.

My question has to do with sizing. I am 6'1 240lbs. I am no body builder but I am broad up top and not fat in the belly. I used Ridesmart's leathers and wore a size 60 at the track, which was the only one that fit my shoulders, chest, arms, and thighs, but the belly was huge. They were comfy for the day but I don't think that's how they are supposed to fit and wouldn't want to spend my money that way.

When I check fitment guides for other brands, it looks like that is the only way a generic set of leathers is going to be...

I need to go try some on, and will soon. My first instinct is to look for a 2 piece set and buy the jacket that fits and go down a size or so in the pants if that's possible, except that a one piece seems safer.

My questions are: How are they supposed to fit? Are racing leathers supposed to be hard to get on and off and restrictive? Am I doomed to a Michelin suit unless I spend some $$$?

I have some time, I am budgeting a motorcycle ramp and other things and will not be back to the track until spring. But I plan to do several track days in 2020 and would like to not rent a suit each time.

Any input is welcome. Thanks
  2. AwDang

AwDang Long timer

Oddometer:
    First, Look into undersuits to make your leathers easier to slip on.
    Yes you want them snug. When you hit the ground the leather has high friction and you will slide around inside of the suit. Ask me how I know!

Look at the RST brand, UK built for larger frame humans,
  3. Tim McKittrick

Tim McKittrick Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good fitting leathers will be a pain in the neck to put on and remove. They should fit like a 2nd skin and still allow freedom of movement within the range you will move on the bike- “real” race suits are cut to conform to your on bike tuck and are not terribly comfortable to stand in. Until you are on the bike they feel too short.

My current race suit is an Alpinestars “Missile” one piece with the airbag vest. The suit itself was about $1k and the vest insert in the $1200 range. The suit itself is very well made and has a lot of premium features (google reviews) and because it is designed to function with or without the airbag it has a lot of stretch panels built in so it is almost like donning Lycra. It’s a good choice even if you can’t swing the airbag insert.

Another option if you are beyond the confines of “normal” sizing is a custom suit. A number of racers at my venue have purchased suits from Plus and they have been universally happy with them, even those who have “road tested” their suits. One racer has about 5 excursions on his kit and it has held up astonishingly well. There is a bit of a wait for construction and delivery but the prices have been very good and I would have bought one myself if I hadn’t been going after the airbag technology.

These folks:

http://plus-racing.eu/en/
  4. C/1/509

C/1/509 Now with more sarcasm

Oddometer:
    Awdang said it.

RST R-18 CE One Piece Leather Race Suit
    On sale at Sportbiketrackgear - $399.99
  5. Badge320

Badge320 Wild Hog No. 3

Oddometer:
    Go to Moto Liberty in Addison.
    Let them help you.
    Great shop.
    ganze likes this.
  6. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    @ganze

Yes, the leathers are supposed to be hard to get in and out of.

Underlayers are clutch here, ALSO while underarmor is almost the best thing to happen to leathers since the cow....its not really, a long slide will heat the leather until the UA melts.....and trust me, that shit sucks.

So merino wool, or ski-silk is the way to go there (climate dependant).

Your off the rack selection is going to be difficult without going custom.
    https://www.spartanleathers.com/mens-motorcycle-leathers
    Talk to these guys, they may have something and they may have it for under $500 I got a custom size that someone balked on for $375 (I think it was) its served me well for nearly ten years now.

20191009_130514.jpg
  7. ganze

ganze lone biker of the apocalypse

Oddometer:
    I was planning on heading to Moto Liberty this weekend already. Will check out the brands and shops listed.

Thanks for the input.