Rad & Ed -> Haiti & DR

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by cejnys, Nov 17, 2019.

1. cejnys

cejnys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Here we are, you knew this was coming!

Last year after taking my 990 around the whole world and finishing 4 years long journey I needed a rest. I did not feel it until I was reaching Austin, Texas. That was the first time I was connecting the dots after circulating the globe. When I was about 30 miles before Austin I asked myself whether I was ready for the second round.....and honestly I was not. I felt I needed a rest.

Then few months passed and I started to feel better, unfortunately the small remind of my savings disappeared so I could not afford to travel. Through my friend Doug here in Houston I got a job to build water tanks. I was quite surprised that I actually liked the job, and I had quite a bit of free time; the problem was that I could not save any money......living in US is just very expensive.

At that point I felt like in a did-end street; if I was continuing with the same job I would not move anywhere.

It was about the same time Ed was planning his trip to Europe, I pushed hard and saved around 3k and was ready to join Ed. I was about two days before buying plane tickets to Europe when I received two phone calls. Both were from my former colleagues from Oil&Gas and both wanted me to work for them (in two different companies).

It was a huge dilemma, because I was mentally ready to go on a road again. I had to make a call......it was not an easy one. I decided to accept one of the offers, it was a good one; and I knew that I can save enough for the whole Africa trip within fairly short time.

That was a little bit of background for you.......Since June I was saving couple of weeks of vacation for one trip. Originally I wanted to visit Venezuela, but then I realized that the country is way too big for 2 weeks. I would need at least 2 months. Then I started looking for something smaller. When I learned that the highest mountain of the Hispaniola (Pico Duarte) is 10,128 ft. high I knew that was my next destination....I wanted to hike it (maybe on a bike)

After Ed returned from Europe I called him and asked whether he wanted to join me.....after couple of days and several articles about bad situation in Haiti which he sent me he agreed....I knew he would :)

This should be be a good one!! Sit back and enjoy!

india - paki border.jpg
    Oznay, td63, shuswap1 and 17 others like this.
  2. BillUA

BillUA Las Vegas, NV

Oddometer:
    Hell yes!
    cejnys likes this.
  3. Smidty

Smidty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :clap :lurk
    cejnys likes this.
  4. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    looks like double trouble to me.....but 4x the fun.

IN
    cejnys likes this.
  5. Grog

Grog Old Bastard

Oddometer:
    Good stuff mate...Looking forward to it!
    cejnys likes this.
  6. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    We’ve all been waiting for the return of the Dynamic Duo! Let’er rip!
    cejnys likes this.
  7. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wonder who will get their passport stamped more?
    We will need more protection.
    locopny, RiderRick and cejnys like this.
  8. RiderRick

RiderRick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am along for the ride, it's gonna be good!
  9. cejnys

cejnys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Picked up my new passport today, cannot wait to start stamping it....

BA104345-8B35-4735-BBAF-ECC676BA9532.jpeg

During my last report you may noticed that I was complaining about having too much stuff. This time it will be different. Originally I was planning to bring a bit more things with me, all changed when bloody airline wanted to charge me very high amount of usd for carry bag to take on the board; at that time it was decided that this trip is going to be super minimalistic.

I have a small 35l back pack that should be big enough to carry all my gear. It is actually the same backpack that traveled all around the world with me strapped to the top of my touratech soft bag.

Couple of days after Ed decided to join me he already sent me a list of item he was planning to take with him. I could see he was already being bored at home so he had to do some activity.....that was good for me as I could use the list to check my kit.
    We are both bringing go-pro’s so we may do a bit of video introduction of our set up when we camp somewhere.

Ed should be at the airport right now, waiting for his flight very early Tuesday morning. I still have few days before I fly. I am hoping he explores the place, makes some contacts and get in touch with a guy who is renting us bikes
    Oznay, shuswap1, EmmEff and 12 others like this.
  10. brucemuzik

brucemuzik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Rad and Ed.

I live in DR (in Cabarete) and have explored it extensively over the last 10 years on my XR250. If you need some routes or have questions, just PM me.

Bruce
    shuswap1, EmmEff, Kiwi Canuck and 3 others like this.
  11. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Rad-ical Ed-ventures again!!!
    Woo Hoo...
    cejnys likes this.
  12. motobiko

motobiko biko I rido

Oddometer:
    Looks like fun!
    cejnys likes this.
  13. JanSerce

JanSerce Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Watch, by the time You get there Ed should be done with his second and starting on the 3rd girlfriend! Or maybe we would see some friendly competition? Good luck mate!
  14. cejnys

cejnys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yeah I am talking to him daily and he has some targets.....fortunately for me he likes slutty type of girls which im not a big fan of....there is a bit of overlapping in our taste and that will be an interesting area :D
    shuswap1, JanSerce, dano619 and 5 others like this.
  15. cejnys

cejnys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, all nearly packed

54D9219B-B283-43A7-9748-F702A299C7B2.jpeg

It’s going to be full 35liters back pack.

Plus Ed have just ordered about 5 gallons of deet....that will make it a bit heavy :)
    Oznay, spokester, RiderRick and 6 others like this.
  16. Romero

Romero At Cinépolis or OXXO

Oddometer:
    As long as there is no hail storms and IPA’s and lingerie
    cejnys likes this.
  17. bbanker

bbanker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    What sleeping setup you got there rad?
  18. cejnys

cejnys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My favorite set up.....hammock with a tarp; I cannot wait to have a nap it it between two palm trees while listening waves hitting beach
    bbanker and JanSerce like this.
  19. cejnys

cejnys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is becoming real!!!

Looks like Ed found us some bikes and I made it through the Houston security check....

990 parked for free, in decent company....on the left 1190 on the right Tuono :) 42770084-2C69-4826-B5F1-95C22B55B2BA.jpeg
    Foiler, StinkyCheese, dano619 and 6 others like this.
  20. cejnys

cejnys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is starting rather good!

My first leg was from Houston to Miami, with a stop in New Orleans. Somehow the airline oversold the plane so they were looking for 6 volunteers....I quickly checked what they were offering.......direct flight to Miami two hours later, dinner and 250usd credit for the next travel.....that was no brainer as I was staying overnight in Miami anyway

6F457DC9-22F7-4F17-A9CD-B434A6E43D14.jpeg

At the Miami airport 857D3CEE-E2AE-41E4-9B2A-6566609B869C.jpeg it was easy to find a comfy & free bed

87D472E6-D85B-4A8C-8741-2C9FD4A482FB.jpeg
    Oznay, Foiler, forgorin and 10 others like this.