Rad & Ed -> Haiti & DR

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by cejnys, Nov 17, 2019.

1. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    At least we are not wearing matching suits. That would look so gay.......not that there is anything wrong with that.
    Force0321, jowul, JanSerce and 3 others like this.
  2. cejnys

cejnys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the gay game worked really well with girls in the resort :D the problem was when hey wanted us to french kiss each other :fpalm
    Force0321, SmilinJoe, jowul and 3 others like this.
  3. cejnys

cejnys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    do you mean the unicorn in a fishnet dress :jack
    Force0321, jowul, JanSerce and 4 others like this.
  4. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Might have been worth it. I was waiting for you to make the first move. :-)
  5. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    You're just jealous.....
    A stamp is a stamp......check!!!
    ChadADV, Force0321, jowul and 2 others like this.
  6. cejnys

cejnys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am not jealous, you are my brother. I wish you this stamp, its a rare one! At least one of us got it!
    jowul, Francistor83, JanSerce and 3 others like this.
  7. BillUA

BillUA Las Vegas, NV

Oddometer:
    So, where is the ride report? :)
  8. cejnys

cejnys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok guys, finally I have a bit of free time to start sharing the full story with some of the photos. I better start before I forget all the interesting details. We did many videos, but again I tried editing some of them on my old MacBookPro and I nearly thrown my old laptop out of a window. So for now it will be just text

Truly this was one of the best adventures I have done; we have tested our limits quite a bit.

The last post was when Ed picked me up from the airport and we headed to a town called Higuey where Ed bought a bike day before and found another one for me (well that's what we thought).

Being back on a bike in a foreign country felt great; it was just a small 100cc two stroke but I did not care.....I felt free again. We had to go on a hard shoulder because huge buses full of tourists heading to various resorts did not care about us and few of them passed us so close we nearly crashed.

Screen Shot 2019-12-19 at 7.06.07 PM.png

I was very surprised how well this little Suzuki went. Fully loaded with a million miles on the clock we could easily maintain speed of 35 miles per hour.
    We even overtook couple of guys walking on the road.

It took us about one hour to cover 40km; the town was extremely busy with MANY two stroke bikes everywhere. All of them were AX100. That was a good sign, its always easy to buy and sell the most popular vehicle.

Ed found the shop easily. As soon as we got off the bike we realized that a word while doing a business means in Dominican Republic NOTHING!

When Ed was buying his bike, the owner promised to have the second bike ready at 3pm the next day. We arrived around 4 and the bike was in exactly the same condition as before.

This shows Ed not believing his own eyes

Screen Shot 2019-12-19 at 7.16.21 PM.png

When the owner showed up he was acting like he had no clue what Ed was talking about. The second bike supposed to have a tire changed, a front light added, brakes done, throttle adjusted, oil reservoir changed and some more. Our plan was to get there, pick up the bike and start heading out of there. This plan was destroyed very quickly. We started to realize that nothing goes smooth in DR. That could be sometimes an advantage but also huge disadvantage.

When we confirmed with the shop owner that we want to buy the bike he started to act. He sent his helper with the bike to a shop which was not far. We used that time to look for an ATM as we did not have any money and both of us were extremely hungry. We could not find any working ATM with money but we found a shop which accepted visa.

30 min later we made it back to shop.....the bike was already there

This picture shows the only improvement they did to the bike, and also I believe the oil reservoir was new.....that was it. I went quickly for a ride and basically crashed into a car that stopped in front of me. The brakes were installed for a decoration only.........

Screen Shot 2019-12-19 at 7.29.53 PM.png
    ChadADV, Cloud-9, Force0321 and 26 others like this.
  9. forgorin

forgorin Stuck in Japan

Oddometer:
    Yay, it's starting! Can't wait to see the photos and hear the stories. Shame about the videos. Please dont kill your laptop!
    cejnys and Champe like this.
  10. rodrigzj

rodrigzj Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow!
  11. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Bring it!! Been looking forward to this!!
    RiderRick likes this.
  12. RokLobster

RokLobster Far from sanity Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  13. cejnys

cejnys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    after my first test ride on the bike, I started to realize that this may not go as smooth as we originally hoped for.

We looked at the bike in more detail and realized that the front wheel had a huge slack, the bearings were probably gone, choke cable was missing, rear tire needed to change and mainly the bike was not breaking.

When we asked the shop owner all these things he just smiled and did absolutely nothing. There was no drive to sell from his side, it felt like he had million dollars on his bank account and did not dive a f*ck. It was somehow frustrating because we really wanted to hit the road and start exploring the island.

Screen Shot 2019-12-21 at 12.06.05 PM.png

One point we offered about 20,000 pesos (400usd) which was about 100 usd less than originally agreed with all the repairs promised by the owner. By offering less money we triggered a reaction that we did not expect; the guy took the bike and pushed it back into the shop and totally stopped talking to us.

At that moment we though that the game is over and we have to find another bike. Ed actually test rode another AX100 which was very similar to this bike, just much older.....I think it was 2001. This bike we were trying to get was 2014. We were ready to go somewhere else to find perfect two stroke machine for me. It was getting dark and late and we also knew this could turn into looooong process.

So we put our poker face on and went to the owner again with questions what could be done to get the bike fixed. Surprisingly he talked to us and actually offered to fix the bike and sell it for 25k pesos.

So here we were again, some guy picked the bike and disappeared for about 20 min. When he got back they were saying that all has been checked and changed and that there were new brakes etc. I quickly jumped on the bike and nearly killed myself again....it was not stopping. This was sooooooooooooooo f***ing frustrating. Somehow it felt like someone just went around the bike with a wrench and tighten the bolts. Then I noticed that the front brake was not put together correctly and could actually cause serious problems. Little bracket holding the brake line should have been locked against the fork; instead it was freely moving

Screen Shot 2019-12-21 at 12.22.53 PM.png

that was enough for me......I just told the guy that his mechanic is shit and that I don't want that bike. It felt like his attitude changed a bit. Suddenly he started to make little bit of effort. I think he spent some money on the bike repair and probably borrowed that money from someone so now he had to sell to pay back.

It came from nowhere and he started to offer another bike which was in a second row in his shop. It somehow felt good because I could feel an effort from his side.

First thing was to make the bike run....that proved to be a challenge......after few minutes of trying to kick start it they realized there was not petrol in it. You would thing that's easy to resolve.....not in DR. It took a while and a guy showed up with a plastic bottle with probably 100-200ml of petrol. Well fortunately that was enough to start the bike.....suddenly we were starting to feel optimistic again.....if we knew how wrong we were and if we knew how long that night is going to be.....

Screen Shot 2019-12-21 at 12.16.39 PM.png
    ChadADV, forgorin, shuswap1 and 22 others like this.
  14. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    Well, this is off to a really bad (awesome!) start. More please!
  15. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Haha, check IG!
    jays100 likes this.
  16. BLucare

BLucare What could possibly go wrong?

Oddometer:
    I'm in! :thumb
  17. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    In for more
  18. Champe

Champe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This report is sitting on the runway kind of long. Looking forward to take-off.
    BillUA, Francistor83, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  19. Rabble

Rabble mountain boy

Oddometer:
    I can't wait for the details to come - especially Haiti. I spent 3 months there after the earthquake working on water systems in Cite Soleil, the huge slum in Port au Prince. Wonderful people, horrendous conditions, never been so exhausted in my life.
    td63, Lost Cartographer and snail01 like this.
  20. cejnys

cejnys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wish I could write this rr faster but I have very little free time these days. I am committed to finish it but you have to be patient. Right now I’m in Cali for a unicorn hunting. All my photos are on my laptop in Houston so the next part will be done when I’m back

9EEACB32-3F16-4516-BD98-A246BA95C5AB.jpeg
    jays100, forgorin, RiderRick and 18 others like this.