Rad & Ed -> Haiti & DR

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by cejnys, Nov 17, 2019.

1. cejnys

cejnys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, Haiti&DR report now.......the last post finished when the guys offered another bike, and took them about 30 min to start it because there was no fuel.

Eventually they started the bike and it sounded pretty good; it had nice poppy two stroke sound. I checked the bearings for play and they felt solid. The bike looked in much better shape that the previous. I was very excited to take it for a ride. I was soooo excited that I totally forgot to be careful about brakes......the bike accelerated well but then when I was trying to stop there was NO reaction from breaks....absolutely nothing....and I basically run into a small truck. I was quite fortunate as the guy did not notice I hit his truck and also I was not going super fast so there was not any damage.

I was like fuck, here we are again. I made it back to the store and expressed my disappointment. I told him I would take the bike but he would have to fix the brakes. He sensed opportunity and told us that he wanted 600 usd for the bike instead of 500. We knew that it was a game so we played the same way......we just told him that we don't have that much money and that we bring the bikes back to him after we finish our ride, so he could make his money twice. It somehow worked and he agreed on 500 usd. The only condition we gave him was to fix the brakes.

So once again "mechanic" showed up, took the bike away. While they "worked" on the bike we finished all the paperwork, so when the bike showed up again I had all the documents and the guy had money which turned out to be the BIGGEST rookie mistake I have ever done.

IMG_5325.JPG

This time, when going for a test ride I was very careful......I was pretty sure that I used all my luck on my previous test rides, and this one may not end up well if the brakes did not work. After few meters I found out that there was one good news and one bad. The front brake did not work at all but surprisingly the rear one was working well. Actually it was working too much. Not sure what they did with it but when I pushed on the rear brake lever, the rear wheel locked so I could not go at all. I quickly checked it and found out that the spring returning the brake into its original position was not strong enough; I knew that was an easy fix so I was happy.

So after my test ride I told the guy that the front brake did nothing and that I wanted him to change it. At that time it was quite late; he agreed to get it fixed; he closed his shop and asked us to follow him. He took us to a small shop that was selling bike parts, with two guys fixing bikes in front of it. He said that these guys would do it for us and then he just disappeared. Our understanding was that they would fix it and that the shop owner would pay for it. Very shortly we learned how wrong we were. As soon as we asked for the front brake to be changed, they just told us that the shop is being closed and that the mechanic needs to go home. We pointed out that the guy who sold us the bikes was covering it and that they need to do it because we were leaving the town next morning.......they just looked at us and asked "which guy?" ....... yeah we were screwed....we learned the hard way how the business in DR is done. I already paid the money and had no leverage so nobody gave a fuck. We tried to talk them into changing my front brake and changing a spring on the rear brake. One of the guy grabbed an extra spring and added it to my rear brake and suddenly the brake was working well. They they closed a shop and disappeared.

We really wanted to get the bikes into a good condition so we could leave the next morning. With my front brake doing absolutely nothing I was not feeling comfortable. One of the guys from the closed shop suggested to follow him and took us to an another bike parts shop with few mechanics fixing bikes in front of it.

It did not take long and one of the guys offered his skill. The first thing was to fix my front brake.....if I remember correctly, the parts were 3 USD and the work was 2 USD......YES for 5 USD you can have brand new front brakes for your AX100. At that moment I felt like I was winning a lottery :D

Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 9.15.31 PM.png

The guy was actually really knowledgeable with good skills; he knew these bikes really well. He then started changing my oil when he stopped and asked for money for his work

Screen Shot 2020-01-02 at 9.27.43 PM.png

we saw him doing really good job so I gave him some dollars. The guy just turned around and walked away, and disappeared in dark of the street. At that point my bike was without oil as he emptied it; I just looked at Ed we started to laugh like crazy......second rookie mistake in very short time......
  2. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I mean......look at that guys fake gold watch. What a swindler.
    We were told that we didn't need the original bike ownership papers. After all, this is DR he said. We were only give copies of the "pink slips"
    This would come back to haunt us as well.
    Our problem was we were pressed for time. We didn't want to waste our time bike shopping when there was an entire island to explore with possible Unicorn to hunt.
    SmilinJoe likes this.
  3. Pete_Tallahassee

Pete_Tallahassee Grampy

Oddometer:
    What do ya think? Maybe you guys are using the wrong head?
    jowul, ExplorerFrog and roadcapDen like this.
  4. cejnys

cejnys Been here awhile

Oddometer:

We just wanted to get on bikes as soon as possible and go :D we were driven by our desire
  5. cejnys

cejnys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It took about 2 min and the guy that was fixing our bikes showed up again. Honestly I felt happy and regained believe in humans. Shortly we learned the reason why he left us....not far away there was a small corner store where they sold rum....as soon as he made some cash he just walked to the shop and got himself a shot...... when our bikes were fixed the guy was pretty wasted.

When my bike was done, Ed asked him how much would it be to change his rear shocks. I thing he quoted him about 20usd for both including fitting. The only problem was that they did not have them at the bike shop we were getting our bikes fixed. It did not take long and our drunken mechanic showed up on a bike; it was not an ordinary bike, it was SUCATI!!!!, and asked Ed to ride with him....

When they were leaving I was slightly worried that they may not make it back....the guy had already few shots

IMG_5331.JPG

I believe Ed will describe what happened when they were gone on his RR.

I was a bit relieve when they showed up and Ed was holding two brand new shocks

IMG_5335.JPG

From that point it was pretty straight forward; the guy changed Ed's shocks, checked and adjusted the oil pump, I think he even inflated the tires. We paid him few dollars and we were on our way.

Because Ed's GPS did could not be charged from the bike, it run out of batteries fast. Fortunately my Garmin 64s is powered by AA batteries. I bought few of them and they last about a full day so I had plenty of power to find a hotel for us. It was very late and dark, we were in the middle of a fairly large city and we were totally knackered so we agreed to find a cheap hotel, find a good place to eat and rest before we start heading into the wildness of DR.

I still don't fully understand how the traffic rules are in DR but we were heading towards the actual city center on fairly large road. I was a bit ahead of Ed and I was SUPER excited to be on my AX100. The mechanic did really good job and the bike was running really well. The only small problem were my breaks, they were rubbish. Even though he changed the front shoes it did not break as it should.

Well I was going pretty fast when suddenly I saw that the road we were on had a huge ridge across, just before crossing with another road. I remember just pulling/pushing my brakes. I just wanted to slow a bit, not to get kicked off the bike when going through the ditch. I slowed down a bit and stabilized the bike....but that was not my biggest problem....at the same time I was trying to stay on my bike, another bike was going super fast from the right side into the crossroad. There was nothing I could do, everything happened within half of a second. I am not sure how we missed each other but we did.

Ed was riding behind me and saw everything. When we stopped afterwards his only words were....what the fuck, you were nearly dead.

From that point it did not take long to find our hotel. Fortunately the guy working there was married to an Italian woman so I could talk to him in Italian. After about 10 min we negotiated pretty decent rate for a room, dropped our bags and went for a walk to get some food.

The hotel manager recommended a small food shop with grilled chicken and pork. They guy just heated the meet up for us, gave us some yuka with it and we walked back one block to get some beers with our dinner.

we found this cool shop that was selling mainly alcohol and the guy let us to eat our food while drinking some beers.

This was the first time that day we actually slowed down and started to enjoy the moment. We did not eat and drink the whole day, so we were ready for some treat. If I remember correctly, it was about midnight at that time

20191124_000110.jpg

When we were done we started heading back to our place. Even though it was pretty late we were not tired. The excitement to be in a new country, and having bikes in great running condition was just way too exciting for going to sleep.

Not even a half bloc from our last place we were passing a small bar that was selling beer. There we many local people around, music was playing and they had a lot of fun. We could not resist to have a beer.

Very shortly after we ordered our fist beer, few guys with good English showed up. Everybody else stayed away as they could not speak English and for that reason they were somehow shy. It did not take long and the English speaking guys started to offer girls. I don't think they were professional pimps, I think they were just normal guys feeling a chance to make a bit of money. The same was with the girls. They were trying to offer themselves

One of our rules is that we don't get involved with prostitutes....its never good if you do. While we were drinking beer and chatting with guys and smiling at the girls we learned our first lesson. One point one of the guys asked us what we wanted; we did nit give him a direct answer. Then he turned back to us and said: "you are the boss, you must tell me what you want". At that point it made sooooo much sense. We basically could do anything with the girls; the only thing was that we did not want to. That made them a bit upset; nearly all of the girls went they own way, except of the smaller one which looked a bit desperate for money and tried to offer herself I believe for something like 20 usd fo the whole night.

20191124_011522.jpg

When the night was progressing, couple of guys got quite drunk. One o them even came to us and tried to talk to us.

Then everybody somehow calmed down as they started to serve some kind of soup; they offered it to us but we refused as we were pretty full.

I believe it was around that time when shit hit a fan. Suddenly the drunken guy started to argue with a girl and they run to a car which was about 100 meters away and they started to fight with fists. Somehow funny part was that it was that drunken guy fighting with another girl that came to help. At that point the whole situation became very chaotic. People started to run around, some people left and other came there. One guy came to us and with very good English he was telling us to immediately leave but was pointing to an opposite direction than was out hotel. I think he just wanted to make some money or maybe just separate us with other people and rob us.

The only problem we had was that the fighting was happening in the direction where our hotel was. One point when the situation looked a bit calmer we decided to go.....fortunately they were busy with their stuff so nobody noticed us walking and we sneaked around and made it into the hotel ok.

Yeah it was between 2-3am and when we made it back to our room, somehow we did not feel like going to bed when we finally closed and locked door behind us.....
  6. Romero

Romero At Cinépolis or OXXO Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love you guys!
    flyingdutchman177 and cejnys like this.
  7. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    You Guys, wow!
    flyingdutchman177 and cejnys like this.
  8. cejnys

cejnys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The next morning when we packed our stuff and headed to the bikes we were curious whether we are going to find them. The bikes had no keys so we could not lock them, and no license plates so it would be hard to identify. Surprisingly everything was absolutely fine.

This was the fist time we were actually starting the bikes after they were standing still for a while. Somehow we were expecting that it would be very difficult and that we would have to find some mechanic to fix them.

I tried first

Screen Shot 2020-01-08 at 9.42.16 PM.png
    And I could not believe my eyes....the bike started after the first kick.

Then it was Ed's turn

Screen Shot 2020-01-08 at 9.43.03 PM.png

.....and his bike started on the second kick which was incredible success and made us feel extremely high.......we could start diving into DR wilderness

We have everything recorded on our GoPro's and its so much fun, I just don't have a good enough computed to edit it.

Screen Shot 2020-01-08 at 9.41.45 PM.png

Last thing we needed to do was to find ATM and pull some pesos out. That was pretty easy and we could start heading north west.

We did not have any breakfast in the big town and hoped to find something small and local outside of the town. It did not take long and we spotted a small restaurant on a side of the road.

If I remember correctly it was a vegan place....

Screen Shot 2020-01-08 at 9.51.34 PM.png

Ed was not feeling well food wise, but still managed to find himself a new family......he disappeared for about 15 min, I still don't know what happened at that time, when he returned the lady that owned the place really wanted to kiss him; I have feeling that Ed really appreciated her intellect and nature!

IMG_5352.JPG

Well it took me a while to get him back on his bike

IMG_5357.JPG

With full tummies we were ready to go

The road was really nice with few speed bumps here and there. Traffic was not busy so we were making good progress ......until suddenly my engine stopped working. Within half of a second I realized that my engine seised....I immediately pulled the clutch and cruised about one km until I stopped.

The bike stopped next to a house; some people were outside and immediately come over.

I let the bike cool down and then started checking the oil pump which is feeding oil into the carburetor based on the throttle position. Somehow it looked like the pump was not giving enough. I was not sure whether it was faulty or just not adjusted right. To make sure there is no more trouble I put some oil into my fuel and also readjusted the oil pump. It took me a while to do it.....when I was done I realized that Ed was not helping me. Then I looked around and found him

SERIOUSLY????

IMG_5360.JPG
  9. Bgunn

Bgunn Posible mañana

Oddometer:
    That's just Ed...He loves everyone :lol3
    Force0321 likes this.
  10. cejnys

cejnys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you mean everyone skinny with big boobs? then the answer is definitely....YES!!
    Force0321, JanSerce, mbanzi and 3 others like this.
  11. Romero

Romero At Cinépolis or OXXO Supporter

Oddometer:

Can't wait till the trip we are doing next!
  12. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Fortunately we don't have to compete for the type of women we like :-)
    I am surprised you still had time to get your bike fixed......lol
    Unicorn Hunters

[​IMG]

Here's the video

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7GnwZ6H5_v/?igshid=4pi32tgbqpzy

x
  13. cejnys

cejnys Been here awhile

Oddometer:

What can I say....girls cannot resist me :getiton
    Jimmy the Heater and Foiler like this.
  14. danh600

danh600 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    You guys are crazy. I want more adventure, but you guys take it to a very high level!!

That poor kid. You can just tell he thinks Mama just found them a rich American Sugar Daddy!!!!
    [​IMG]
    Cloud-9 and shuswap1 like this.
  15. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    You haven't seen nothing yet!!! Haiti is coming up
    Cloud-9, shuswap1, Foiler and 3 others like this.
  16. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Did you mean everyone fat with small boobs? then the answer is definitely....YES!! :-)
    Foiler likes this.
  17. cejnys

cejnys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yeah I know....

this one was super skinny

upload_2020-1-9_13-56-59.jpeg

And this one had massive titties

upload_2020-1-9_13-57-42.jpeg

Al least mine did not have any kids :lol3
  18. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Ok, truth be told, we didn't find any Unicorns on that first day. But I am going to introduce to everyone a couple of possible real Unicorns that we met on the end of day 2 and start of day 3 on my RR.
  19. JanSerce

JanSerce Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Everyone skiny with big boobs who can't outrun him!
    Isn't that a definition of a healthy Man out of the Country?
    cejnys likes this.
  20. Bgunn

Bgunn Posible mañana

Oddometer:
    Looks like Rad's bike was the only thing seizing up from lack of lubrication! Always been a premix kind of guy :lol3
    cejnys likes this.