Rad & Ed -> Haiti & DR

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by cejnys, Nov 17, 2019.

1. cejnys

cejnys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok guys, there is sooooo much more to write about than our first day on the road, even though it was pretty good one......I want to close it with one last photo I just discovered.....I thing it says it all

IMG_5366.jpg

I thing it was about good time to get back on the road. I become a bit paranoid about my bike and was checking smoke out of my exhaust every two minutes. It felt like everything was working well, there was so much smoke that I could not see Ed riding behind me.

Very shortly after our last stop the road started going up. At that point we started to learn a bit more about our bikes. I am not exactly sure how it was happening inside of my gearbox but when I shifted up from 2nd to 3rd the revs stayed pretty high and then slowly slowed down. I was not sure what to think about it but it worked well and helped me.

The road up was just spectacular and we really enjoyed our 100cc two strokes

IMG_5382.JPG

On the way down we learn some more about our bikes......first of all my 100 did not brake at all. When trying to stop I could feel a bit of reaction but then when drums warmed up there was nearly no braking. I had to be at the top of my riding game because the second option was to brake with two stroke engine :D

After few nearly close misses we made it to Miches and for the first time I could see the sea.

IMG_5386.JPG

We took few photos and headed towards Sabana de la Mar. I think it was somewhere in the middle when I suddenly started to feel my back end wobbling around a bit. I quickly checked and it was a right assumption.....my rear tire was flat.

We had a spare tube which we bought in the town but we did not have any tools.

Fortunately all this happened in a small village. 10 min later we were next to a small house and a local guy was working on my rear tire. Surprisingly he did not even need to take the rear wheel off. With the bike only on the center stand he took the tire partially of the rim and pulled the tube out. It was pretty interesting to watch him, he was definitely not doing this for the first time. While was the tube out he inflated it and then run it through a bucket with water and found a puncture very easily. Then when he was checking the tire he found quite big nail stuck into my tire.

It did not take longer than 10 min and we were back on the road.....for all this service he asked for whole 2usd....I did not object

Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 10.10.27 PM.png

When we got back on the road it did not take us long to make it to the "port" from where we were planning to take a ferry. Shortly after our arrival we realized that it is not going to be as easy as we though.....
    ChadADV, RiderRick, JanSerce and 15 others like this.
  2. Golden955

Golden955 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Loving this, can't wait to read the companion piece. Thanks guys.
    cejnys likes this.
  3. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Sounds Rad-ical!I
    Maybe dial back the oil injection or was it the extra oil you put in the tank? Don't tell me clutch problems too?
    Enjoy being back home with Ed while we enjoy your RR!
    cejnys likes this.
  4. jowul

jowul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    where did Ed's report go?
  5. headstaller

headstaller Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. brucemuzik

brucemuzik Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Loving this. Llesyri laughed when she read that she might be a Unicorn! It was fun meeting you guys and showing you our little unicorn town.
  7. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Happy birthday brother.
    I am looking forward to our next Rad-icle Ed-venture.......with or without Unicorns
  8. cejnys

cejnys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey guys I did not forget about you; its just my life constantly pulling me away from my laptop screen. Lately I went for a little ride around a lake.....can you guess where I was?

IMG_2243.jpg
    ChadADV, SmilinJoe, JanSerce and 8 others like this.
  9. cejnys

cejnys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK now back to the DR&Haiti trip

When we arrived to a pier there were few people just wondering around; we immediately started to ask how much would it be to cross on a boat to Samana. We were getting similar answers from various people so it started to look like we were getting the real price.

As a traveler coming from a western country you are constantly facing challenge of overpricing. Everyone is trying to charge you much more than they are charging local people. The challenge is to pay same price as locals

IMG_5392.JPG

Then our boat came and a lot of people left the boat. I was very surprised how many people actually fit inside.

There was one guy with a bike who arrived so we asked him how much he paid and he confirmed that the price we were told previously was the correct one.

I have used small boats to transport my 990 previously and it was ALWAYS a huge pain to load/offload the bike; and many times it was even impossible to use a small boat. This time it was very easy because we were riding light 100cc two strokes.

Can you imagine loading your GS1250 or 1090 on this boat?

Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 12.03.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 12.04.26 PM.png

After taking my 990 around the WHOLE world I have enough of big bikes.....they are nice for commuting etc. but for adventures?.....they are just pain because they limit you a lot.

Anyway it took us no time to load both bikes and we were on our way

IMG_5412.JPG

It took a bit over one hour and we arrived to Samana.

DSC00931.jpg

Offloading bikes was as easy as loading so it took us only few minutes and we were back on the shore.
    As it was getting dark we needed to find a place to camp. On a map we noticed a small beach not far from the town; it was just over a steep hill.

When we got there we found few palm trees that were just perfect for our hammocks. The only problem was a small restaurant/bar that was still open and there were quite few people drinking and dancing. One of the golden rules of rough camping is to be invisible. Less people know about you better chance to have a peaceful night. Even though we had small local bikes which made us somehow invisible (arriving on big 1200 bike always attract attention), we decided to leave for couple of hours and arrive after the restaurant is closed. We rode over the hill again back to Samana.

It was pretty steep downhill; on the way up we had to use the first & second gear. Ed was going first and we let the bikes just roll down which was the biggest mistake I could do. When reaching the bottom of the hill I could go around 90km/h. One moment Ed started braking as the tarmac finished in one point due to ongoing road work and the traffic was redirected to the left side of the road. When I pulled my breaks I realized that my bike is not going to slow down as quickly as Ed's. Actually my bike was not slowing down at all. It was pretty scary! After the tarmac finished there was a big step and then a lot of gravel and dirt. I started to scream at Ed to move on a side but he could not hear me. When I was passing him we were touching and I was going probably 50km/h faster than he was. I was like "fuck that was close". At the end all ended up fine and I was soooooo ready for a drink.

It was easy to find a small bar with good beer and decent WiFi.

IMG_5449.JPG

Few hours later we returned to set up our camp. Camping in hammock is my favorite, it takes few minutes to set it up and you have super comfy bed in no time. In the morning we really enjoyed the view

IMG_5455.JPG
  10. Rabble

Rabble mountain boy

Oddometer:
    That sure looks like Lake Atitlán in Guatemala, San Lucas Tolimán to be precise. If so, I camped there for 2 weeks in 1977. Before it got so built up and the lake went down.
  11. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It looks like a long way away from Houston to be chasing Unicorns
    JanSerce and cejnys like this.
  12. cejnys

cejnys Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You are 100% correct. Yeah they build many new roads around and its very easy accessible these days....good for tourists, bad for us
    JanSerce and Golden955 like this.
  13. Mofrid

Mofrid Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    cejnys and flyingdutchman177 like this.
  14. ChadADV

ChadADV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Less unicorn hunting and more finishing a two week trip ride report please! :)
    EmmEff, cejnys, chilolac and 7 others like this.
  15. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Hola?