Radar Detectors?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by ogklx400, Feb 12, 2018.

1. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son?

Oddometer:
    Yes, because those are the two possibilities: travelling more slowly than prevailing traffic, or semis going 90. This is a ridiculous proposition.

Also, slow-moving semis get rear-ended regularly by inattentive drivers, as you are well aware as a truck driver. While the fault lies with the inattentive driver, the 2nd causal factor is the slow-moving vehicle.
    Tarmac Kid and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  2. Hi-De-Ho

Hi-De-Ho Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    Yes, as @dietDrThunder indicated, it was a JOKE between he and I, regarding the IBA membership, and the membership number.
    That is all it was....nothing more.

And if you read my post carefully, it said that, "My V-1 has paid for itself at least 100 times, and possibly 1000 times...and that is not a joke or speculation."

That means, it has paid for itself at least 100 times.....that is a stated fact. The next part was that POSSIBLY it has paid for itself 1000 times.

So, it is correct to say that it has saved me from 100 speeding tickets.......but it would be incorrect to state for a fact that it has saved me from 1000 speeding tickets.

If you do the number of miles that I do every year, and at the speeds that I ride, which is slightly more than the posted speed limits, then you do could make such a claim.
  3. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
    Yep, not a problem! Portions of the Idaho, Montana, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, and Wyoming road networks have 80 mph (129 km/h) posted limits which is the same speed for semi trucks. Semi's pulling triple trailers are also doing 80mph.
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  4. Hi-De-Ho

Hi-De-Ho Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    To be a contrarian, "I" have a problem with an 80,000 lb semi-truck going down the Interstate at 90 mph. That is a lot of weight to try to handle at that speed, and to TRY to slow down or stop when going that speed.

But I am talking about ME riding a MOTORCYCLE, and the speeds that I ride, when going past other traffic on the roads.
    I do NOT ride within a "pack" of cars/trucks. I keep moving, slightly faster than they are going, to move out of that "pack", and towards the next "pack", while never staying complacent IN any pack of traffic.

Back to the point of this thread....my V-! radar detector is a tool that I use on the road. I don't use one in my cars or pickup, or on my off-road bikes.
    But use it on my longer distance/higher speed road bikes. Just like the throttle, and the brakes, and the gear shift lever...it is a tool.
  5. kojack06

kojack06 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It gives you special privilege over the others on the public road. It also excludes you from laws. Think of it as being hitlerly clinton on two wheels.
    FMFDOC, Daboo, Tor and 2 others like this.
  6. d.c.

d.c. funyun farmer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

:lol3

How and where on the bike do you guys have your radar detectors mounted?

Any pictures?
  7. Advntr

Advntr Dilbert

Oddometer:
    Western NY or out riding & passing you somewhere
    Ignorance is a tough mind state to correct.
    I owe my V1 millions in ticket revenue and it has made several tax collectors rethink their story. i have had one sice it was put on the market. Nothing better yet.
    Some folks need to get out and live a little
    They are called "large cars"...18 wheeler big trucks that can run 100+ with a load. This is not cheap equipment btw...
    So when you get out there living a little,say in the south west on the interstate see who is running 95+ with ease.
    And most importantly there is nothing unsafe about it. Rt 66 IL
    Search for the Great Spirit  (35).JPG
    ogklx400, d.c. and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  8. ogklx400

ogklx400 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info everyone iv learned a lot by reading everyone's post. I travel 5 to 10 mph most of time besides small town i do the speed limit and also going past schools I do what the speed limit says. Last time in got a speeding ticket was years ago and we were both in the opposite direction and I was well over the so I just pull over and waited a minute for him to turn around and have a talk with me. I had all my gear on and my high viz vest on. The first thing the officer said was thank you for pulling over and I told him I new I was in the wrong and thats why I just stopped and waited any way he gave me a ticket for 10 over in a 55 MPH and I was doing just a little over a 100 Im a shame to even right cause it wasn't the best road to be riding at that speed I live and learn. So an incident like the one I just talked about would you guys ever have enough notice by radar to slow down in time it was a slit long bend and I didn't see him till we went by each other basically. So would the radar give you guy enough time to get ur speed down enough to not pay a ticket. I'm going to guess not at that speed but maybe at 20 mph over you would you have time?I don't really plan on buying radar cause 99% of the time I stay in a reasonable speed for myself.

Also if the officer doesn't have his radar on but watching for speeders around a corner you can't see around and ur dragging ur pegs around the radar isn't going to beep rite? So what I'm wondering is there something in the bike radar to tell you theres a ticket waiting around that corner for you? Thanks ADV for any learning info everyone
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  9. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    Which should be a felony.
  10. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    The only reason most semis will not run 100+ is that they are governed. Even single-axle daycabs have enough engine to do it now (the new ones at work are 400HP). We haven't had a <350HP tractor in over ten years.
  11. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    You need to stop living in a make believe world (as your chosen name & title imply) and get out more and see the wide open spaces west of the Mississippi. On a 4 lane (2 in each direction) super slab with no on or off ramps for 20 miles in any direction there is no reason not to allow it. Of course running triples and semis at 80 mph isn't suited for all roads, but felony? I want some of what you are smoking while you are playing those video games! :rofl:rofl:rofl

Maybe you would like it where the trucks are all held to 55 mph like California? What a fucking nightmare! Try going on Interstate 5 where everyone except the trucks are limited to 70 mph and the trucks are held down at 55. Two lanes in each direction. As soon as one truck pulls over to pass another, you stack all of the other vehicles doing 70 behind them. Now you get a string of cars in the #1 lane waiting for the truck to pull back in. Then a Bozo in a car decides to gutter snipe to the front of the line and cuts in at the very last second causing the entire line to panic slow. It's madness.
  12. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    You DO understand that class 8 truck tires are generally only rated for 75-80MPH...right?
  13. Advntr

Advntr Dilbert

Oddometer:
    Reality is tough on people...my friend who owns a large car never has tire issues running the big numbers. We used to tear up I90 between Erie and Buffalo running large. :D Conditions permitting of course. Gotta put that in there for all the snoflakes and scardy cats [sic].

Route US166 runs across lower Kansas https://www.google.com/maps/@37.0470996,-95.2578763,11.5z?hl=en
    Very very very very sparse on population. Line of sight is miles. 98 degrees F. I was running westbound at 100-110 mph or would let the cruise hold it at 95 mph...Radar detector 101 Rule of thumb says always slow down to less than 10 over the limit with an oncoming car before radar range. When that oncoming car was within striking distance I got lit up with Ka band radar. I was 5 over at that pt. The sheriff is really bored today and apparently can't judge oncoming motorcycles speed...I even got brake lights. Had the tax collector decided to pull me over for "speeding" the radar detector would have played a pivotal role in he said - i said. It's a tool like the brain and keeps people honest for the most part. That would have been a real interesting conversation...

Here is V1 watching the road ahead and behind in Wyoming. Just ahead will be a state trooper hiding in the brush at a historical marker place popping the very few folks on the road with Ka band. Line of sight says 80 mph for sure. V1 says "whoa nellie!" and I slide thru getting big stink eye. I gave it back but i had sun glasses on.
    Search for the Great Spirit  (172).JPG
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  14. Snowbird

Snowbird Cereal Killer

Oddometer:
    Waze, radar detectors, etc. are all in the category of driver/rider distractions. IMO they're as bad as texting. Since 99% of speed enforcement is either on high traffic density highways (interstates) or in areas of speed reduction (urban), by trying to go faster than the flow is a pain in the ass for everyone else and makes you a specific danger to others. You cannot make significant reductions in your travel time point to point by going faster than other traffic. Do some math, and over the length of a typical trip you cannot make significant reductions in travel time by going faster than everyone else. Do some more real-world math on long trips and you will discover this rule of thumb: Your average speed will be about five miles per hour less than the predominate speed the highway is posted at, regardless of how fast you try to go. Once in a great while you might break that rule of thumb, but that is the exception to the rule.

I like going fast as much as the next rider, but if you use electronics to try to get around the fact that the only way to arrive earlier is to leave earlier, you are kidding yourself and endangering others. Yes, it's a pain that cops set traps to catch us unawares, but everyone else has chipped in to pay for our deteriorating highway system and you are not special.
  15. Sal Pairadice

Sal Pairadice Adventurer

Oddometer:
  16. radmann10

radmann10 Fred

Oddometer:
    I use a Valentine One, have for years in everything but my motor home. I ride at a comfortable pace don't look at the detector until it goes off, then you let up on the throttle, make note of your speed, glance at the detector to see direction of the threat and how many signals are present. All good things to know for when you are talking to LEO or are in front of the judge, I fight every ticket I was not able to avoid through using the detector. I have even traveled through Canada with my illegal Radar Detector on since the Valentine One was at that time able to not trigger the officer's Radar detector detector. (I don't know if the V1 can still do that) The times that you are caught unaware are cut down to very few. Blind turns, no cars in front that have been through the speed trap, or instant on radar that is very hard to avoid. I have been traveling a sales territory for over twenty years, plenty of opportunities to get a ticket for not paying attention, if I get too many tickets, that means I don't have a job, no license no job. So I have used a V1 radar detector for years and always will.
    Zubb, FMFDOC and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  17. Advntr

Advntr Dilbert

Oddometer:
    Picture 514.jpg See I told you so...here we go headed for JoMamma. A traffic expert with apparently no long distance driving [car] or touring [mcycle] experience and does not own a V1 has weighed in very heavily and we must heed the fear factor. :imaposerThe evil radar detector is a driver distraction and must be destroyed. Who said anything about it being a time saver? It's a tool to keep you out of harms way if you leave the porch and come run with us big dogs. Now that thing you call a phone-that is something evil and should be destroyed.

V1 on break during the ferry crossing WV to OH. That's a few motorcycles ago... Note the GPS clipped to the windshield.
    FMFDOC and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  18. radmann10

radmann10 Fred

Oddometer:

Freeways are not for motorcycles IMO, I use all the nice twisty roads that the interstate by passed for riding my bike!
  19. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    Look at the next large truck tire you see...most common speed ratings are L and M. (75 and 81MPH, respectively.) A handful are N (87MPH), I have never seen higher.

All vehicles should probably be legally required to be governed to a speed no higher than the tire rating.
  20. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    Yes, and just like before Montana brought a speed limit back, you would get ticketed for exceeding the speed rating of your tires. I've not advocated breaking the law, never have. I believe in Prima Facie speed laws, where speeding is defined as “speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the conditions and having regard to the actual and potential hazards then existing.” Also known as the Basic Speed Law. Most here who are using radar detectors are basically following Prima Facie guidelines and ignoring posted speed limits.

Do you think that UPS and other large companies would allow their fleet of trucks to pull triples at 80 mph if there was increased liability from exceeding the speed rating of their tires?
    kwthom likes this.