radar detectors

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by zaydie, Nov 27, 2001.

1. zaydie

zaydie MC Rider

Oddometer:
    I think it's time to invest in a radar detection system.
    Riding is way tooooooo comfortable on the GS and RT.

It looks like Valentine One is the way to go.

Several questions for those out there that have them all ready.

Do you need to have the amplifer if you use ear plugs?

How well does the rear detction system work if the unit is mounted in front of the rider?

What type of mounts are you using.

Any other tips for using?

Thanks
    John
    84 R100RSLE
    00 R1100RT
    01 R1150GS
  2. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    no. keep an eye on the lights.

no issue with radar...goes right through meat. laser, however, is line of sight. big deal...once you detect laser, you might as well just pull over cuz yer done.

I use an RCU shelf with super velcro on the RT and a ram handlebar mount with round plate and super velcro on the GS.

Use your head. After a while you start to sense bogeyville and you slow down, look at the V1 and get confirmation or not, then motor on through. It's just a tool...not a shield. Bogeys like to pace on freeways so they don't "light you up".

wise choice, btw. mine pays for itself over and over. Hell, it paid for itself three or four times when I showed Knapp and Drew over the sierras a little while back.
  3. stevenknapp

stevenknapp Long timer

Oddometer:
    What Fish said.

The V1 is way cool because of all the info it gives you. But it's not a cop detector...just a radar detector. There used to be some good tips/tricks floating around on the web somewhere, here are a handful that have saved my ass.

- Let someone else go ahead. Let them find the instant on, be far enough behind that you can slow down for the cop pulling out. Saved me twice in Ohio.

- Get caught? Change your light config. Easier in a generic cage than a bike with a hiviz yellow jacket. Turn the fogs on/off, headlamps on..whatever. If the cop didn't see your plate, maybe it was another honda civic that was speeding, this one has fog lights.
  4. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Having a GPS and a V1 is nice, but only useful if you monitor them once in awhile. I ride with plugs all the time. So while I might be able to pick up the beeps from V1, I don't rely on it. Hell, after five hours in the saddle, you start hearing things anyway.

So what I do, is every five minutes or so, I monitor my instruments in a triangular fashion. I start with the left mirror, then move clockwise until I've seen the GPS, V1, right mirror, gas, time, oil, tach, idiot lights, speedo, repeat.

Keep your senses about you. If you feel like something is happening around you, treat it as the top priority and pass on the instrument scan.

That said, it doesn't really matter what you deduce from your instrument scan if you can't take corrective action immediately. Practice being on your toes and making maximum braking stops, drop down two gears and WFO accel, swerve left, swerve right.
  5. SKINNY

SKINNY Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use a Passport 8500 which is much smaller than the V1 and easier to mount. The tests rate them about the same , but the V1 has more features, although some of them are of dubious use.Either one will give you more than ample warning, but you have to be paying attention. My hearing is so bad that even with an external alarm, I have to rely on the LED signal meter, which takes constant scanning, if you're in traffic. I found someone on the Web that can convert most radar detectors to a wireless setup, so that you can get away from having wires between your helmet and the detector.

skinny
  6. zaydie

zaydie MC Rider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input.
    :mustache
  7. stevenknapp

stevenknapp Long timer

Oddometer:
    The V1's big advantage for me (compared to past detectors I've owned) is the amount of useful info it provides. With two antenna horns it gives true front/rear seperation and the counter is very useful too. Maybe not as dramatic as the ads, but I've had times when knowing that the cop I just passed wasn't running radar, but one ahead still was "saved" me.
  8. moon

moon Space Cowboy

Oddometer:
    Good choice. Although the Ka band is kind of weak.
    IMHO, yes. I've installed one of these and it works great:
    http://www.radarscreamer.com
    No problem.
    see: http://www3.pbase.com/joemoon/root for some old pics of the under_the_bill installation I did a couple years ago. Never any indication of any problems with stability or water.
  9. moon

moon Space Cowboy

Oddometer:
  10. Against the Wind

Against the Wind I'm older now but still runnin'

Oddometer:
    Moon

Can you supply any additional details on how you mounted the project box under the nose? It looks like you attached it to some plexiglass.

Thanks
  11. moon

moon Space Cowboy

Oddometer:
    The box was built by a plastics fabricator here in Denver based on a Plexiglas prototype I built myself. He affixed it to a plastic sheet that was then used for mounting. I put two bolts into the bottom of the console where I had enough access to fasten a nut and lock washer. The front was reinforced with zip ties. I drilled a hole and ran the zip ties through. You might be able to see them in the pictures. Anyway, the whole thing is very stable despite the weight of the V1. The front of the box is sealed with four screws and clear silicon sealer. A grommet was used to seal the opening for the phone wire.
  12. Randall

Randall Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Moon,

Nice work on the radar mount, as well as the rest of the bike. :cool:

Randall