Rade Garage Aux Tank Fit ABS Equipped 2012 990 Adventure?

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by WanderBeaver, Jun 19, 2019.

1. WanderBeaver

WanderBeaver Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Hi, the website says the under seat aux tank works only with non ABS models so wondering what the issue is and what needs to be done (if anything is possible) to make it work?

Thanks.
  2. stageracer

stageracer To err is human, to forgive is not company policy

Oddometer:
    You would need to relocate the ABS from under the seat
  3. WanderBeaver

WanderBeaver Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, hopefully that's not too difficult to find another spot.
  4. WanderBeaver

WanderBeaver Wanderer

Oddometer:
    This gives me an idea but wonder if this is the only solution (and if I can buy the doghouse and fit it in behind the stock airbox or not since I didn't want to change my intake yet): https://advrider.com/f/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-ktm-today.568535/page-452#post-23288783

According to this I would not be able to use it with the stock airbox - which is likely self evident if I had a look at my airbox, "...sits right where the back of the stock airbox used to be, right above the rear cylinder head. (Installation of the Rottweiler Intake System is required)".

Oh well.
  5. Manakau.KTM

Manakau.KTM Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is the result you need:

IMG_20190620_112734.jpg
    MrPulldown likes this.
  6. WanderBeaver

WanderBeaver Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Yes if I had an R with no ABS it'd be easier, or get a Rottweiler (or TripleClamp's new intake assuming it has room for a doghouse) which I should get anyway, then I can also have the Rade Garage tank. Pretty hard to afford all three right now is the problem. Then again if I'm going to get them eventually it may as well be now......
  7. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rade stopped making them it seems.

/Johan
    WanderBeaver likes this.
  8. fasteddie23

fasteddie23 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just emailed them and they confirmed they stopped making them. Sad to see how quickly the aftermarket is disappearing for these bikes. There are still a ton of them on the road!
  9. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    CJ's is much easier to live with

[​IMG]
  10. WanderBeaver

WanderBeaver Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Thanks and yes it's a shame, that was one of the best products out there. Maybe used ones will come up but even so I have the ABS version and hard to install without moving the ABS unit into a doghouse (afforded by a foam air intake) I also don't have.
  11. WanderBeaver

WanderBeaver Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Yes but then I'd have to get a 2-1 exhaust when I like the 2-2 even though 2-1 does save some weight.
  12. 1coolbanana

1coolbanana Long timer

Oddometer:
    Its one or the other.
    The reason I never got the Rade tank was the hassle to fill it, especially when you have, for example a duffle, and have to unload the bike to lift the seat just to fill.
    More hassle than I wanted but to each his own.
    JohnnyWaffles likes this.
  13. stageracer

stageracer To err is human, to forgive is not company policy

Oddometer:
    I’ve got the Rottweiler Endurocell. Easy to use and fill but you also need the 2 in 1 exhaust conversion
    WanderBeaver likes this.
  14. WanderBeaver

WanderBeaver Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I'd use it more for emergency back up and peace of mind so wouldn't need refilling that often. Otherwise yes that would get old quickly. I like the idea of 2-1 and the Rottweiler or CJ Designs fuel cells too. Or a guy could do BOTH and have a Rottweiler or TripleClamp foam intake, doghouse, underseat 8 L tank, 2-1 exhaust and Rottweiler or CJ designs fuel cell. Assuming they're also 8 L that is 36L of gas without carrying a gas can or Rotopax. That would be 'the ultimate' I think though if overkill for fuel then best to use under seat for tool/part storage I suppose. THAT would be the ultimate I guess.
  15. WanderBeaver

WanderBeaver Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Their unit is extremely good looking.......
  16. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have the Rade tank. And it's not without problems. The vent hose connections have a habit of leaking. Would guess the ethanol in the fuel stiffens up the grommets.

And also using a saddlebag solution for luggage so annoying to fill up.

Prefer the sound of the 2-2 but runs better with the Remus 2-1 so using that. Would trade Rade tank for any side tank solution.

But located in Sweden and shipping anything around can quickly get expensive.

/Johan
  17. fasteddie23

fasteddie23 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I pulled the ABS off of mine. One of the best things I ever did not this bike. Saved a ton of weight and never really worked for shit anyway. Almost killed myself a few times forgetting to turn it off off-road. The fact that it recycles every time you start the engine is silly. Thats what almost got me. ABS off, make a quick stop start back up and go - forgetting to switch it off again! Just take it off - you will never look back.
  18. WanderBeaver

WanderBeaver Wanderer

Oddometer:
    It can't weigh THAT much (I know you didn't literally mean a ton) as its just that module right? Made of aluminum? How do you mean it never really worked well anyway......it didn't keep the wheels from locking under hard braking on say wet pavement?
  19. WanderBeaver

WanderBeaver Wanderer

Oddometer:
    In Canada we have no Ethanol in our premium (usually and it says on the pump if there is any even in premium). How does Remus 2-1 run better than say an Akrapovic 2-2......more low end?
  20. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    It runs noticeable cooler. Did the Rottweiler with their map and 2-2 was warned it was a little lean for that.

Ran it for a while and compared with friends and did some measurements with IR thermometer on both mine and theirs.

But gave in and went 2-1. Feels safer.

/Johan
    WanderBeaver likes this.