RADE/GARAGE kits and accesorries for KTM 1090/1190 Adventure

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by RADE/GARAGE, Nov 23, 2018.

1. RADE/GARAGE

RADE/GARAGE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    We started this thread to discuss installation, feedback and ideas for the KTM 1090/1190 adventure accessories and items we design and make for you.

KTM 1090/1190 Rally Replica kit with LED lights
    We just put finishing touches on the rally replica kit for KTM 1090/1190 Adventure! It will make your big KTM bike look awesome, while providing better wind protection, awesome lights and side with aerodynamic improvements!
    https://www.radegarage.com/parts/ktm-1090-rr-kit/
    Husqvarna and KTM larger and lower footpegs

More comfort, better control while riding stand up and durability combined with amazing looks (multiple colors including Blue and Orange)
    https://www.radegarage.com/parts/ktm-larger-low-pegs/
  2. runehogh

runehogh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I really like the 1190 RR kit - just too bad I have a 1290 SAR. Do you have any plans for a kit for the SAR/SAS bikes?
  3. RADE/GARAGE

RADE/GARAGE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am sorry no plans for SAR/SAS bikes :-( Our focus is to launch EXC fairing in January and next year we will work on new KTM 690 and KTM 790.
  4. Herve Savary

Herve Savary n00b

Oddometer:
    Bonjour, la bulle est elle vraiment efficace a haute vitesse ?
  5. RADE/GARAGE

RADE/GARAGE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bonjour
    Honnêtement, l'aérodynamique est assez subjective. Cela dépend de la hauteur du coureur, du casque, de la selle, de sorte qu'un même bouclier peut fonctionner différemment pour différents coureurs.

Nous l'avons bien testé et quand il fait froid, le maintien à 140 km / h à long terme ne pose pas de problème, et vous vous retrouvez dans une bonne position à 170 km / h. Je conduisais une autoroute de 500 km au Maroc et j'étais toujours entre 130 et 170 km / h. Ma taille est de 181 cm et j'ai un casque de tourisme Airoh avec un bouclier.

Rade
    Herve Savary likes this.
  6. Herve Savary

Herve Savary n00b

Oddometer:
    In French !! Thank's for this answer
  7. Tatanka440

Tatanka440 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interested! Any reports on the rally kit’s wind protection vs the KTM touring screen? I have the stock shirt screen and the taller touring screen. The touring screen still seems pretty noisy, adds some buffering above 60 mph, and when raised fully it definitely interferes with visibility.

I’ve always felt that the rearward sweeping angle of the stock and touring screens is the downfall. Looks like your kit is much more vertical, which could be a great thing.
  8. Hopey

Hopey Hopey

Oddometer:
    That’s what I’m hoping, once I get time to fit it.
    The Kit is still in the box on the shelf and has been for the last month, you’d think one would have time over the Xmas New Year break, no.
    Been too hot in the shed anyway.
    Hopey
  9. mADVR&S

mADVR&S n00b

Oddometer:
    Ciao Rade, I've tried to install the RR Kit on my 1090 ADV R, but I failed. I have no clue how I have to fix the windscreen on the upper brackets. It looks like there are two rubber nuts (M5) necessary, but I haven't any. There were 2 M5 rubber nuts given and I used them for the Carbon Mask.
    In addition I have left 6 Screws M4 x 16, 7 M5 x 16, 17 Washer (M4), the Mesh (supposed to be for sealing the Headlight Cover) and the black NR adhesive seal. Where I have to use all this? I'm also confused as in your Installation Description you are showing the Mesh fixed also on the lower "V", but as this area is not covered by the orange Sticker it will be visible later on. The picture of your ready installed Kit does not show the Mesh below the lights. So isn't it necessary to put it there? Thanks for support! 20190122_154207_resized.jpg 20190122_154224_resized.jpg 20190122_204418_resized.jpg
  10. davevh

davevh At the dirt

Oddometer:
    In response to the above, sounds like you are missing 2x M5 rubber nuts. I was missing one of these as well, so you could either contact Rade for replacements, or try your luck at your local hardware store to see if you can get some (what I did). With regard to the seal, the instructions/video do show it going all around the headlight cover including the V at the bottom. Yes, there will be a small area where the sticker does not cover it but it looks fine and creates a seal so that water and muck does not enter under the headlight cover. I do wonder though how the LED lights get sufficient cooling to the heat sinks since this seal stops all airflow. The 6 silver screws are for attaching the headlight lens, make sure you use those plastic screws anywhere a screw tightens down on clear plastic.

I will be posting an article/review shortly on my installation with pictures so hopefully this will help you and others.
    Ciao,
    David
    Hopey likes this.
  11. davevh

davevh At the dirt

Oddometer:
    I finished the installation of my 1090R Rade kit recently, and I will be covering my experiences below with the hope of helping others with any issues, and Rade for product improvement. Let me precede this by saying the I love the kit and think that it improves the bike substantially (I would say that KTM should be using this as standard on their big Adv bikes).

However, "there be dragons here" also rear their ugly head in several areas. Lets get to the good and bad.

I cannot embed pictures on ADV since it has major issues with google photos, the only service I use. So I will attach pictures and they will have to be referenced by number.

Contents of the box as I received them (coffee cup and coffee not included), (picture 1)

Looking at the parts, quality of engineering is good, as is finish (Picture 2/3):

I forgot to grab a picture, but my carbon mask had an inch and a half long defect on one of the edges that goes under the black bike headlight cowl. Not a big deal since it cannot really be noticed once installed. There is also a defect in the carbon weave below the bottom LED, but not so bad as to need replacement. Otherwise the mask is nice.

The instructions did not include any assistance for assembling the LED mounting frame. At the least, an exploded parts diagram should be included for the LED frame since later on I could not easily determine whether the bottom screw brackets for the mask should be placed on the outside of the frame or the inside (I had to look carefully at the video at a couple of frames). Also, I used screw thread lock on all metal-metal on this frame for screws to avoid them backing out.

(Picture 4)

So when assembling the frame I had the 4x screws for each light, but when it came time to start inserting other hardware I started to notice distinct lack of rubber nuts, washers and screws! WTH, maybe they were taped to the box, or one of the parts in the box. Nope, searched everything 5 times and no hardware. Grrr, email sent to Rade, he responded quickly and apologized and had the hardware mailed the following week (I started this installation on a weekend).

Hardware arrives, great I continue the installation. Once assembled, the LED frame mounts into the bike easily per the instructions. Something to note here though, the long black screw spacers for the back of the windscreen have no way to tighten them with a tool, you have to screw them in by hand as best you can. I used a rubber glove to get a good grip and twisted as tight as my gimpy wrists would allow.

I suggest to Rade to have two flat edges at the ends (where the windscreen is attached) to allow a spanner to grip and tighten these. The spacers to which I am referring are in the top right of (Picture 5)

The carbon mask is then attached using the provided screws. However, the two bottom screws that attach to the rubber nuts on the LED extension bracket were drilled way off, about 7mm off on each side! So out comes the Dremel and I extended the holes so that I could align the screws with the rubber nuts. This is the hole to which I am referring (Picture 6)

UPDATE1: Rade emailed me, and it seems the method was updated to use the metal clamp threads included (they were installed in the bracket and I thought this was in error since the video/instructions show the rubber nut). This will allow more movement and allow the holes to line up. When I next remove the mask I will correct this. This will also help with the screw length noted below.

Next, now that the holes were aligned it should be easy right? Wrong! I looked through the screws that were sent to me, 2 were a little longer than the rest and so I selected those 2 for this portion of the installation.

Even these would not catch the nut in the rubber insert, so I had to contort my pinkie finger through the tiny gap in the mask at the bottom and push the rubber nut as hard as I could against the screw and after several difficult attempts on each side I managed to get the threads to catch. Rade, please include longer screws for these as it will make installation far easier.

Also, 2 of the black M5 screws were missing from this newly sent hardware kit, as was 1x M5 rubber nut (UPDATE2: the rubber nut appears to be an extra as per UPDATE1 above). Sigh.

I found some screws, and by a wild twist of fate and ironic luck I found 1 M5 rubber nut in my parts bin.

I installed the screws for the windscreen into the rear spacers, and then the screws into the upper brackets in the front. The rubber edge liner that is included is very nice and installs cleanly. However, mine was too short to edge the windscreen per the website photos (see picture at the end of this post to see what I mean)

With carbon mask installation complete, I moved onto the sticky back rubber insulation. No challenges here, just mount it like so (Picture "Rubber")

Finally, carefully align and install the orange sticker (remove the protective film from the cover first!!). You only get one shot at this, the thing sticks like glue and makes re-alignment difficult if you get it wrong. Usually for decals you can use soapy water so that you can "float" the decal in place and let it dry, but I do not know if it would affect the adhesive in this case.

Ah, the lens cover mounting. Rade describes being careful at this point because any excess pressure could push a rubber nut through the mask and then you have the lovely fortune of removing the windscreen and mask and then starting again. So of course this happens to me.

The reason a rubber nut went through is due to apparent misalignment of the screw holes:
    (Picture 7)

However, I found that the lens could be flattened which allowed the holes to line up but required the screws go in at quite an angle and require pressure to catch the nut.

So one went through, and I almost threw a fit at this point because nothing in the world was going to get me to remove those bottom screw on the mask again! I went to 4 local hardware stores to get a replacement M4 rubber nut, but no one here in Dallas seems to sell them in metric so I just replaced all 6 with imperial and new screws.

I also devised a far simpler way to install the lens cover than what the instructions suggest. Put all six screws through the holes on the lens cover, lightly screw on the rubber nuts and simply align and push all 6 through the carbon mask. Much easier, and no chance of losing one like I did.

Summary of pros:

- Very nice overall fit and finish

- Cree lighting is suuuperb!

- Love the look, very clean design and cockpit is also more spacious

- Aside from the problems encountered, very easy to install

- I think the price is reasonable for what you get, and I am grateful that a company makes such a great add-on for a fantastic bike!

Summary of cons:

- QC in packing needs improvement. First the hardware was missing from my kit, and then hardware is missing from my hardware replacement

- Mask hole misalignment, required me to engineer a fix.

- Windscreen edge rubber too short

- Instructions need better pictures, and they are missing information at key steps. Feel free to use my suggestions as above for improvements. UPDATE3: Rade informed me that they will be working on improving the instructions.

That's it, installation complete. Go ride and light up the world!
    (Picture 8)

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      565.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      453.6 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      345.9 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      361 KB
      Views:
  12. davevh

davevh At the dirt

Oddometer:
    Pictures continued ...

Attached Files:

• 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      292.1 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      333.6 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      356.6 KB
      Views:
    • Rubber.jpg
      Rubber.jpg
      File size:
      520.5 KB
      Views:
  13. davevh

davevh At the dirt

Oddometer:
    Last picture ...

Attached Files:

• 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      437.2 KB
      Views:
  14. Hopey

Hopey Hopey

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this DAVE
    I about to do mine just waiting on the head stem strengthening bracket before I strip it all down.
    I’ll take a pic of the parts / screws and post here hopefully I have them all.
    One question does the Orange sticker go on the outside of the small screen as it’s hard to see where it’s stuck to

Thanks again great work
    Hopey
  15. davevh

davevh At the dirt

Oddometer:
    No problem Hopey, feel free to message me if you have any questions during installation. I was also confused with the orange sticker, I too thought it got sandwiched between the lens cover and carbon mask, but it goes on the outside of the lens cover. It is thick vinyl, and extremely sticky so should hold up to the elements just fine. Clean the lens thoroughly with a little rubbing alcohol and wear some surgical gloves to prevent fingerprints when applying it, and be careful with placement because it will be very hard to lift it again without damaging something!
    Hopey likes this.
  16. Hopey

Hopey Hopey

Oddometer:
    Thanks Dave
    Got a weeks road trip through all the hills in Vic & Lower NSWs coming up on the 9th February and the other parts I was waiting on won’t be here so toying with the idea of quickly putting this on for that trip but hearing the weather is still going to be stinking hot might leave it off and put the low screen back on, oh the pain of indecision.
    Anyway here’s a pic of the parts, same as yours?

Hopey

IMG_8939.jpg
  17. RADE/GARAGE

RADE/GARAGE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Dave, thank you very much for the direct and honest feedback. This is what allows our products to be better in the future. Few comments for others:

• Based on the feedback we are working on editing and updating the installation manual. We had a photoshoot today, so you can expect new version sometime next week
    • Holes not aligned - this is an unpleasant surprise to us. We have worked closely with the supplier to make sure all holes are aligned and did few runs before going to production. Sorry about that, this is an issue on our side and we need to manage the supplier more closely. We will also think about eliminating the risk, perhaps by using CNC in the future.
    • The missing rubber inserts are due to the fact they were used used them elsewhere instead - on of the bottom holder metal threads. The M5x20 are long enough to reach and should align easily. We will update the manual with the correct picture as it is not your fault, but an error in our instructions
    • Flat edges - we discussed this with the place that manufactures the parts for us and unfortunately that is not an option given our small production runs. We use high quality suppliers that otherwise manufacture parts for VW, Audi etc. and our volume makes it impossible (at least for now) to add secondary operation on CNC mill. Perhaps if we get you guys buy 10x more of these we would get there :rofl
    • We have few more ideas how to improve the experience so again BIG thank you to Dave and others that provide feedback

One more note - as you will see soon with the Husqvarna 701 fairing kit we are being obsessed with our customer's ability to take advantage of improvements without buying a whole new kit as much as we can. We hate the philosophy that when there is an improvement our customers would need to buy a new whole kit. So where possible we design and engineer items as modular and allow upgrades of the different pieces, even if it means extra engineering work or a bit more harder manufacturing.

We believe you will all appreciate it.

Thanks for your loyalty!
    ScooterNoMore, Hopey and Jeremy K like this.
  18. davevh

davevh At the dirt

Oddometer:
    Took her for a quick spin on the highway and the new windscreen definitely helps deliver cleaner air than the stock one. I am 6"3 and the air just hits my helmet now, feels like it will be more tolerable for longer rides. Couple of pics I took on a short ride out the other day to a local park, very photogenic bike!

Attached Files:

19. davevh

davevh At the dirt

Oddometer:
    Yeh, your hardware kit looks correct Hopey.

One thing to note with the orange sticker, do not tighten down the lens screws overly tight as I have found the sticker will lift a bit at the bottom where the screws are pretty close to the edge. Also, I have had a small scratch develop where the carbon mask touches the windscreen and rubs against it from vibration (carbon is very abrasive). My solution to this (still in testing) was to run a strip of black electrical tape down the mask where the windscreen makes contact. It is not noticeable and should stop the scratch from getting worse. Strangely the other side does not make contact, so perhaps the mask is a little skew. Will try to capture a picture of this when I get a chance.
  20. RADE/GARAGE

RADE/GARAGE Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nice! Rade :-)