RADE/GARAGE kits and accesorries for KTM 1090/1190 Adventure

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by RADE/GARAGE, Nov 23, 2018.

1. randonörd

randonörd n00b

Oddometer:
    is it also suitable for 1290 SAT 2016?

how is the light vs the original?
  2. RADE/GARAGE

RADE/GARAGE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello, please send me an email with picture of your bike: rade@radegarage.com
    It does not fit the new one, but you might have the older one, where is some chance it will fit.

Rade
  3. mADVR&S

mADVR&S n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi, after finishing the installation of the RR Kit I just like to share some experiences. First of all I want to thank Rade for the quick support on all my questions to him!
    I used a hairdryer to warm up the orange sticker a bit. So it was easier to get it into right position and even to adjust if it was not in right place. Before mounting the carbon mask on the KTM I connected headlight cover to the mask. I found out that the distance from the cover to the mask was different and decided to use the thinner natural rubber sealing and in the upper area the mesh in addition. I put all together and afterwards mounted it on the bike. So I was sure that all screws were fit properly to the rubber nuts. Some difficulties appeared as I wanted to mount the distancers for the windshield. They were not working easily so I used a pipe wrench. Even as I protected the distancers I had some scratches there afterwards. I recommend to use the supplied screws to mount the distancers if you have similar problems. Fixing the windshield also made trouble as M5 x 20 screws for the lower mounting points are too short to make it easy. On one side it was hard, but it worked. On the other side it was even harder and it didn't work. I used M5 x 30 for the time beeing which worked easily without giving too much pressure to the shield and the carbon mask. At least 5 mm longer screws would have made it much more comfortable.
    I guess that Rade really tested well in his workshop but as the clearance of the supplied parts is not as well as OEM parts the whole story takes a lot of effort. Not to forget and unfortunately not mentioned in the installation is the necessity to adjust the high and the low beam properly.
    Finally I love the design and I pray that it will work for the rest of the lifetime without the necessity to disassemble it.
    Cheers!
    ScooterNoMore likes this.
  4. Sxywrxy

Sxywrxy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome write up and gorgeous bike Dave! Been looking to add this to my 1090R instead of going the typical led + touratech high windscreen route.
    davevh likes this.
  5. davevh

davevh At the dirt

Oddometer:
    Thanks man! Yeah, you will not be dissapointed with this set up, been a little cold here for riding but am planning a couple of days next month to Oklahoma/Arkansas to put this through the paces. Rade is in process of improving the manual and installation so should be easy peasy for you to install.
  6. Martyred

Martyred Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    It will fit, when you change your both halfs of the cockpit housing to the ones from the 1050/1090/1190 ADV

KTM-No.: 60314010000 COCKPITHOLDER LEFT 40€
    KTM-No.: 60314011000 COCKPITHOLDER RIGHT 40€

Pic below: Left side 1290T COCKPITHOLDER, right side 1050/1090/1190 ADV COCKPITHOLDER

[​IMG]
    ScooterNoMore likes this.
  7. Hopey

Hopey Hopey

Oddometer:
    Marty
    What don’t you know about these bikes?
    Bloody awesome work.

Hey question with these RR fairing instead of using the rubber nuts that can pull out I was going to look at maybe using nut sert with a stainless steel washer on the inside of the carbon fibre do you think that would work?

Thanks
    Hopey
  8. davevh

davevh At the dirt

Oddometer:
    I had a minor issue with the sticker in which the corners were coming up where the screws tightened down (this makes sense since quite a lot of pressure is placed on the vinyl on these spots). There are several solutions to this issue, depending on how much effort you wish to exert.

The easier and free method (if you have a new sticker that you have not yet used) is to carefully mark the holes (exactly since there is little room for error) and make them large enough for the screws and plastic washers to pass all the way through. This way there is no pressure put on the sticker. The easiest way to do this is to temporarily tape the sticker to the lens, mark through the holes onto the sticker then place the washer over the mark and use a veld tip marker to trace the outline of the washer. Place the sticker (removed from the lens!) onto a flat surface, heat up the back of an appropriate size drill bit with a lighter and melt the hole through each mounting point that you marked. Alternatively, you can drill the holes using a drill press, just use bits progressively. For obvious reasons, please do not do this with the sticker mounted to the lens. Disclaimer; I hold no responsibility for any damage to your kit for this, I am only making a suggestion! The same goes for the next solution ....

Which is ..... plasti dip. While waiting for Rade to send me a replacement sticker, I got impatient (as in I had to wait longer than a few days, no blame on Rade for this as he addresses everything as quickly as he can) so I figured what is the harm in trying plasti dip as a temporary solution. I had never used this paint before and was curious as to how it applied and turned out. Well, see the attached pictures. It was applied from behind so should be mostly protected from the elements, and if it does eventually come off I can just mask and re-apply. If you have not used it before, it is not like normal paint. DO NOT sand the surface, just mask off with tape/thin plastic bag and clean the area you wish to apply the plasti dip with rubbing alcohol, let dry and begin with a liberal first coat (should look wet, but do not allow it to run). I applied 4 coats. I suggest if you go this route order a can of white and apply an additional 2 coats since the orange by itself shows a little light through it and you can see the seal behind the lens. Reverse this process if you apply from the outside. After the last coat IMMEDIATELY remove all of the mask tape to try and get the sharpest edge possible. If you let it dry and then pull the mask you will likely lift the finish.
    The paint I used was: Plasti Dip Performix 11218 Orange, 11. Fluid_Ounces

I did not pull the mask quick enough after the last coat and my edges were a little rough, so I used some auto black 1/8" line tape. I am happy with the results, but when my replacement stickers from Rade arrive I plan to use my method above for the holes (and will post back here my results) and keep the stickers as spares in case the plasti dip is not as durable as I hope.

EDIT: Also, another tip. See the back mount point for the windscreen, I added 3 rubber washers to space it out to increase the gap from where the windscreen touches the carbon mask. On both sides they were rubbing together creating small lines of scratches (you can see the black tape I placed behind to avoid this).

Cheers,
    David

Attached Files:

9. STLR

STLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Rade and crew!
    I was finally able to get everything buttoned up today with minimal force and cursing (as you can tell I've left the orange sticker off for now). I also went for a good ride with a jaunt at interstate speed and noticed no buffeting which was my largest concern.
    IMG_5528.jpeg IMG_5525.jpeg
    Manny U, Sxywrxy and ScooterNoMore like this.
  10. davevh

davevh At the dirt

Oddometer:
    Looks good!
    STLR likes this.
  11. Hopey

Hopey Hopey

Oddometer:
    Hey Stlr
    I’m about to do mine Rade fairing as well but I noticed you have a really nice bracket holding your TT gps holder still.
    Did you make it?
    Where did you get it?
    Mine rough solution even though it works will be out there for everyone to see with the new screen so need to tidy or remove..
    Thanks
    Hopey
  12. STLR

STLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  13. cosworth2

cosworth2 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,
    I am mounting this kit , ( received last week ) . The rubber seam black , not grey , how to use it ? the grey ok but the black , I don't see !
    Thank you for yours answers
  14. Hopey

Hopey Hopey

Oddometer:
    What grey?
    I only have black
    Hopey
  15. cosworth2

cosworth2 n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi Hopey,
    I received 2 seams : 1 grey in foam and 1 black in rubber. In video kit installation time 3.32 , there is a grey foam between the plexiglass ( with sticker ) and the carbon mask . But in the same video , I don't see where I must put the black rubber ?
    Have nice day
  16. Hopey

Hopey Hopey

Oddometer:
  17. Hopey

Hopey Hopey

Oddometer:
    Finally had a weekend in the shed
    Fitted a stack of stuff including the Rade fairing.
    Fitting was well interesting but I had the whole front end off anyway so I’d say that didn’t help.
    Still got to put the high fender back on but am modifying that a little as well
    Had to do a little trim on the carbon for it to align better.
    Suggest that the distance spaces up the top should have flat on it for a spinner to be able to tighten them.
    The trim for the screen should be longer.

Anyway happy with the result just hope the buffeting is gone.

Hopey
    IMG_0160.jpg IMG_0159.jpg IMG_0157.jpg IMG_0158.jpg
    Manny U, Jeremy K and STLR like this.
  18. davevh

davevh At the dirt

Oddometer:
    Nice job! Personally I find the air much cleaner with this windshield than stock.Also, I did a night ride with these lights and was blown away as to how the road was lit up! I need to adjust my high beam higher and then I am confident I will be able to see infinity ;)
    STLR likes this.
  19. STLR

STLR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks great Hopey!

I ran mine through the ringer last weekend. Had a great adventure riding class with the Black Swan Moto team through the Gateway Adventure School along with a 10 hour round trip hitting speeds to 100mph while dodging white tail. The fairing and lighting worked flawlessly.
  20. runehogh

runehogh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have you had any chance to ride it yet?

How does the wind protection compare to standard?

How rigid is the windscreen? Do you observe any flex while driving or installation?