Rade Garage Pannier racks

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Toddv, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Toddv

Toddv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist

Oddometer:
    I wish they had created a narrow, but symmetrical, design so we could mount a tool tube on the left side.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    No-Fret and Toddv like this.
  3. Stockhaus

Stockhaus n00b

Oddometer:
    I have ordered and waiting for delivery. But I have not received an estimated delivery time yet...
    Toddv likes this.
  4. Toddv

Toddv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They look like the best option out there to me really, was just wondering if anyone had tried them out yet since they aren't cheap or easy to send back if there's an issue. I have the Kriega side bags and they are all setup for them also.
  5. hcd

hcd n00b

Oddometer:
    I have them. Very solid, the holes all align properly, no need to stress the tubes to make things line up.
    [​IMG]

I had to take the Akrapovic off to deal with that bolt on the right, the reach of the bolt put it into the pipe, other than that the install was easy enough, all the holes aligned with the bike, no stressing of the tubes to get things lined up. Just attach loosely at all points then tightened it up.

[​IMG]

I do have one problem, I got Kriega OS 32 panniers because the racks have tabs welded on to hold the panniers. No matter how much I curse, I can't get one of the buckles through without removing the plastic panel. The buckle hits the panel and it just won't go through at that angle. So it looks like I am either going to have to mangle the plastic or remove it every time I put them on and take them off. I don't know whats going to happen when I fall on them, since there is no cross bar on the racks and there will be no "cage".
    [​IMG]
    Toddv and Stockhaus like this.
  6. Toddv

Toddv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmm, I see. So you cant feed the buckle through with the bottom first so there would be more room between the rack and the plastics? I'll have the same setup so hopefully there's a solution.
  7. Salzig

Salzig Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bend the tab outwards a bit?
  8. hcd

hcd n00b

Oddometer:
    I ordered the Kriega rack platform for that side to see if that gives enough clearance, probably have to cut that tab off if it does.
  9. svneko

svneko Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Be interested to hear how they stand up to a fall. Without the bar going behind the tire connecting them like many racks have, I wonder if they will bend or break at the connection point upon impact in a fall.
    TexasAggie2008 likes this.
  10. Toddv

Toddv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ordered mine a few weeks ago and have Emailed a couple days ago to get an idea when they will be shipping but have not heard anything back.
  11. hcd

hcd n00b

Oddometer:
    This is my inelegant and expensive fix to get the top buckle through on Kriega panniers, the Kriega platform is supposed to be unneeded because they welded tabs on there specifically for those panniers. The platform won't work using the recommended positions for the clamps so I stuck the clamps wherever I could get them to line up and leave enough space for that buckle, it's only one buckle that has an issue.

[​IMG]

I know, it looks like enough space to just take it through the welded tab, but there isn't. It just barely gets through on the platform, it would be no fun putting on a loaded pannier. I'll probably cut that welded tab off or put some spacers on the clamp to move the platform out a little more. There's probably a simple solution to this, which is why it escapes me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Using the welded tabs for the bottom
    [​IMG]
  12. Toddv

Toddv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ran into the same issue on the left side. I was able to pop that panel off, install the bag then pop it back on fairly easy. There are two pegs that pop outwards at the front of the panel then it slides forward to unhook at the rear. It takes a little finagling to get it back on but it's not a pain once you've done it once or twice.
  13. MN rider

MN rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Been looking into these aswell. What's the width of the racks when mounted on the bike?
  14. Toddv

Toddv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    19.5" or 50 cm.
    floalex likes this.
  15. MN rider

MN rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I ordered a set, but the price for shipping needs to be looked at. They want $114 USD. I've ordered sets of crash bars in the past from heed in Poland and was charged $50. I think it will be hard for them to compete with these racks at over $400 USD total.
  16. Toddv

Toddv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yea, it was a bitter pill but they fit the bill so... It was either that or Fab up the ones I wanted. I actually have more space than needed with these on the right side, I guess because the Wings exhaust I installed it's the bike tighter. They could be close to an inch slimmer.
  17. MN rider

MN rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree, they look like the best option aswell. The stainless is nice, and that you do not have to keep the factory rear pegs, which I always remove. The only other set on the market that is somewhat similar is the ones from Andy Strapz. R/G ships fast, i had a tracking number within 10 hours of placing the order.