Rade Garage Pannier racks

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by Toddv, Nov 7, 2019.

1. groot-stuff

groot-stuff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am very interested in the Rade Garage racks... can you @grace tell us more about your experience with them?

I have the MM BC Offset Panniers and question if the Rade Garage racks can support them as they are obviously heavier than the bags you've pictured (they are ~10 lbs each, empty).
    I do pack light, all of my tools are aluminum and fit in a GL Possibles Pouch, camping gear is all ultralight backpacking gear... but I question the lack of a rear cross-bar, especially when the bike goes down - hard.
    grace likes this.
  2. grace

grace Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @groot-stuff, i always use over the seat straps on all racks. e.g., if i bought the kriega os32 panniers, i wouldn't use the adapter plates. i'd use the over-the-seat option. i dont' use mosko bags, because i don't want to use adapter plates and place all the weight on the racks. i prefer the distribute the weight over the bike -seat and/or rear rack. given that, i have no concern about the weight on the racks. also, i've ridden with several buds whose mosko panniers fell off -one lost forever and a couple of times we had significantly backtrack.

DSCN2257.jpg
    MN rider likes this.
  3. groot-stuff

Oddometer:
    Fell off in what manner?
    • Bag from adapter rack
    • Adapter rack attached to bag split from wedge mounted on the rack
    • Adapter rack wedge from pannier rack
      • If this was the case, were they installed with thread-locker? Were the bolts checked regularly?
    I mean no disrespect, but it is difficult to take the vague poor experience you bring up without further detail... including how hard the bike was being ridden and how often it was airborne.

You also mention falling with these racks multiple times... how they held up is what I was initially interested in.
  4. grace

Oddometer:
    bag came off the adapter plate. the latch apparently loosened. this has happened to at least three different buddies. some kind of safety strap/leash would probably solve it.

also, a couple of times, mosko bag detached from impact. this is probably desirable versus adapter plate or rack breaking.
  5. groot-stuff

Oddometer:
    "latch" makes me think of first gen MM BCs... the v2.1's have a spring loaded, steel locking pin.
    It is good to hear of these negative experiences, I haven't found any through hours and hours of research (including hours of youtube videos and dozens of forum pages read).

Also made a late edit to my previous post, any further feedback on the Rade Garage racks when the bike goes down? Any inward bending (toward the exhaust/rear wheel) in spills?
  6. grace

Oddometer:
    it sounds like mm may have addressed the issue with the plate popping off. not sure how much more i can say about the rade garage racks? i really like the design and features. they've held up great and i've crashed a bunch with/without bags. racks have not bent and protect exhaust. i would buy them again, though there are much less expensive options -especially living in the US.
  7. ljustina

ljustina Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, I really like the racks! Had some vibration issues which caused some bolts to loosen and unfortunately I hadn't marked the rack bolts to realize in time... I had them pretty heavily loaded, and they took some pretty tough rock impacts. One of the bars on the top is just sparingly welded and that one let go, but I think it was just because the bolts had gotten loose. Easy enough to weld back at home, and for the rest of the trip I just used paracord to supplement holding up all the weight. My partner who has the same racks and didn't have any bolts loosen had no problems and his bike (and bags and racks) also got to see geology up close and personal at times lol.

Attached Files:

groot-stuff and grace like this.
  8. groot-stuff

Oddometer:
    Appreciate the pics and review!

Let's not derail the thread for long... but do your upper crash bars do much/any protecting?

This bike's tank is so unique I have given up on lower crash bars after much research... but your uppers piqued my curiosity (I have HDB handguards like you as well).
  9. grace

Oddometer:
    i'll chime in. i've broken the plastics on both sides of the front of the upper, where the two screws attach to upper fairing and right next to those crash guards. i replaced one side and the other side currently hangs loose and flaps around. i feel like it'll break again and so i feel no rush to fix this time. see photo. so crash guards would probably protect, if you're clumsy like me and i won't get upper crash guards -for weight, appearance and serviceability.

20200525_154359 (2).jpg
  10. ljustina

ljustina Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, not long after getting the bike I was taking stuff apart & discovered that the radiator had gotten dented!! No gnarly rocks, no crash, nothing. The radiator was dented enough that I was legitimately worried about how it would hold up if it hit a rock. Those bars are small enough that they're not in the way, but fully protect the radiator. I've since had the bike hard enough against rocks that the bars are gouged pretty good, but 0 damage to the radiator. My take on it is that most damage you can work with, but a gaping hole in the radiator is going to end a trip. My goal is to have just enough that the trip doesn't end until its time.
  11. theDoktor

theDoktor Husky Racer

Oddometer:
    That makes good sense. Where did you get the upper crash bars/ who makes the bars?
  12. groot-stuff

Oddometer:
  13. theDoktor

theDoktor Husky Racer

Oddometer:
  14. ljustina

ljustina Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yup, that's what I got and where. Not cheap, but neither is a radiator or trip IMO...
  15. AKA HAL

AKA HAL workin' on the noob thing

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have any instructions for installation? I bought the pannier racks a while back and finally opened the box to install them. My installation hardware that came with the racks don't look like anything in the pictures/ youtube videos, to the point I'm wondering if they messed up and sent the wrong hardware package. Here's a youtube

()

, but my hardware is stainless (racks are black, like the video), and not one single thing in the video is included in the hardware package... and there are lots of additional parts like spacers. There were no instructions in the box, which usually isn't a big deal for me, but what I have doesn't seem like it's going to work to install the rack.
  16. ljustina

ljustina Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pic of what you got?
  17. groot-stuff

Oddometer:
    Are we to assume you bought Rade Garage pannier racks? (because that's the thread you posted to)...

But that video is for installation of Outback Motortek racks...
  18. AKA HAL

Oddometer:
    Oops. I just used the search function on YouTube and that’s what came up. Not sure why that one was at the top. I saw it was a different name, but just thought it must be a reseller in he US or something.

I’ll try to take a pic of my hardware tomorrow and figure out how to post a picture.
    groot-stuff likes this.
  19. AKA HAL

Oddometer:
    In my defense, I had had a few beers last night. That being said, I still can't find any installation instructions this am using either Google or youtube. I also can't seem to find a link to email Rade Garage to ask for instructions or pictures. If any of you guys that already have them have instructions, can you PM me? Or take a few pictures of the hardware as it goes into your bike (790 Adv R for me)? Just looking at it, it looks pretty simple to install, but I've thought that before and wound up frustrated.... I've always been a "read the instructions" type guy when they're available.

IMG_2129.jpg IMG_2129.jpg
  20. AKA HAL

Oddometer:
    I actually opened the parts and laid them out, looked at hcd's pictures in this thread ( https://advrider.com/f/threads/rade-garage-pannier-racks.1415555/ ), and it seems like it's going to be really easy to install. Then I realized my bike is dirty. Probably best I wash it before installing things, and it's not much above freezing here now... and I won't actually need the racks until a mid-summer trip I'm trying to put together. Think I'll wait for a warmer day to wash the bike, then install after that. As an aside, I think the video I mistakenly posted above might actually be helpful, since it's more or less the same basic hardware.