Rade Garage Review

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by craigincali, Jun 13, 2014.

1. uk_mouse

uk_mouse Aquatic adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well I took the plunge and ordered a carbon RR kit. Went for the one with the replaceable headlight cover, in case of stone damage.

Will report back :)
  2. uk_mouse

Oddometer:
    So I've got my Rade light and screen kit. The lights are excellent, professional looking and very bright.

Got a problem with the screen though. The screen won't go on properly because it's fouling on the low beam light. I haven't got a photo but the top of the hole in the screen, where the headlight should shine through, is touching the top of the orange part of the headlight. So the screw holes at the sides of the screen don't line up.

It only needs the screen to move down by a few mm to make it fit, I think.

I am wondering of the best thing to do is trim the screen slightly. But I've never cut carbon fibre, I am not sure how to proceed. Would a cutting disc in a dremel be the right way? It would be an expensive mistake to get it wrong :(

The other alternative, I suppose, is to drill new holes in the black plastic headlight surround and relocate the rubber nuts that hold the screen on.
  3. bobone

bobone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    yes cutting disc in dremel is fine use the reinforced ones, or the diamond ones. go fast, low pressure, let the tool work for you. yo can also sand it down, or use the sanding cylinders on dremel. exprect to use lot of them, they wear fast. use eye + good mask as a minimum, and loong sleeves, nitrilo gloves because the carbon fiber dust it is itcy as hell. a hoover near where you sand or cut is a nice idea.

use masking tape to prevent jagged edges and stray fiber where you cut. just put it where you want to cut (both side even better) and trace the cutting path with a pen.

easycomposites has some nice videos on youtube on the topic.

this is just coming from my CF work experience, i don't know the specific of your rade garage operation or where it is better to redrill.

blow your dremel afterwards with carbonfiber, cf dust is not nice on electric tools
  4. uk_mouse

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice! I'll post a pic when this is all together.
    bobone likes this.
  5. uk_mouse

Oddometer:
    By the way, I should say that I suspect this fitting problem is down to my custom rally cockpit design, not the quality of Rade's products!
  6. DirtyBastard

DirtyBastard Your time is limited, so don't waste it.

Oddometer:
    I had purchased the carbon Rally screen a year or two ago. I just couldn’t get used to not having a clear site on the front end while sitting, so I started looking for a plastic fab shop to build one with clear plastic. No go. I had asked Rade about it prior to my search, and he mentioned he was looking into it. A couple years passed, and I was looking at some parts online. Like how unicorns fart rainbows, the new CLEAR Rally RR kit popped up. It’s now on its way to California, and will arrive this Weds.
  7. DirtyBastard

DirtyBastard Your time is limited, so don't waste it.

Oddometer:
  8. uk_mouse

Oddometer:
    I've solved my problem. I'm not sure what I had done wrong, but I must have had something misaligned. I found the best way to get the screen is the right position was to attach the screen to the black plastic support before putting it on the bike. Then hook the plastic support over the lugs on the frame and insert the M6 allen bolts that go through the side panels and the support.

I did also find that, because the Rade screen is slightly wider than the OEM screen, things fitted better after I trimmed a few mm from the top edge of the plastic side panels. Because the Rade screen overlaps the panels, this isn't visible at all when the screen is on the bike.
  9. Lost_Soul

Lost_Soul Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just ordered a Rade EVO6 for my 990. Looks like its a great product and hopefully it will work out well for me. Hey Rade, any chance of you making another batch of under seat 990 auxiliary tanks? seems like quite a few people here would be interested in buying them!
  10. Moose465

Moose465 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1 for me!
    mountaincadre likes this.
  11. Irongig

Irongig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another One Here! Lots of People would buy them