Rade Garage Review

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by craigincali, Jun 13, 2014.

1. jmvance1

jmvance1 Mountain cruiser

Oddometer:
    You guys are going to like them!
  2. OrangeDevil37

OrangeDevil37 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    does anyone know how to get just the halos to work? i have the euro switch and would like to get it hooked up right as far as the halos. im still waiting on my screen. it cant get here fast enough?
  3. tokenboy

tokenboy Gnirly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you have the euro switch just plug the lights into the stock harness. With the hz switch you have off-halo-low. With the hi/lo switch you obviously get hi/lo.
  4. OrangeDevil37

Oddometer:
    ok sweet! thanks for clearing that up for me.
  5. NMZens

NMZens Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just received mine yesterday and couldn't wait to install it. What I found was:

1. I needed to reuse the aluminum/rubber/washer spacers when mounting the new light bracket to the plastic headlight surround. These are removed from the headlight itself. If not the length of the screws are too long and dimple the exterior of the plastic surround as they try to push through. This also could have been solved by cutting the screw down 1/8" or using additional washers, but read on.

2. I had installed the lexan cover before the light (since that would make it easier to get to the nuts on the backside of the screen), and was having clearance issues with the top reflector. I actually cracked the lexan cover as I tightened the lights into position. I had to use the aforementioned spacers between the aluminum light frame and the plastic light surround on the top two mounts, and just behind the screw head for the bottom two screws. The spacer used behind the two bottom screws can be alleviated using the corrective method in note 1, I was just being lazy and wanted to fit it up and see how it would look. I'll probably go back and cut the screws down a little and remove the two bottom spacers.

3. The hardware for mounting the lexan cover included regular nuts and should probably be exchanged for lock nuts so they don't back out due to vibrations.

As previously noted, with the Euro switch only the halos turn on in the first position which is what I consider "running lights." Wiring is simply plugging into your connector and you're fully operational.

Looks fantastic, and I can't wait to get it on the road.
  6. freco

freco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Finally. :clap :rofl

When I turn lights on for the first time, high beam was flashing. Never done it again. Is this a feature? How can I do it again? Anyone?

[​IMG]
  7. craigincali

craigincali I'll try it.

Oddometer:
    Mine did that too. I think its just because it was firing up for the first time ever. It isn't a feature.
  8. sharpie1

sharpie1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My fix for the Lexan cover was to get 4 OEM captive nuts (part number 60008008050) to mount the Lexan, that way you never have to get to the backside to remove the cover. I have Safaris and it would be a PITA to remove the tanks just to clean that cover.
  9. Masso75

Masso75 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sharpie1...have you any pics of this work?
  10. NMZens

NMZens Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great suggestion thanks!
  11. OrangeDevil37

Oddometer:
    can anyone in the states tell me how long it took for you to receive your rr screen and lights? rade sent me a email about 3 weeks ago or so, saying it was shipped and I haven't got it yet. I expected 2 weeks but I have been waiting a month and half total. hopefully nothing went wrong with the shipping?
  12. craigincali

craigincali I'll try it.

Oddometer:
    I got mine in about 10 days. I recently ordered something from Poland and is been 6 weeks and I still haven't received it they have been blaming it in the bad weather on the east coast.

Then I also ordered from the UK and got that package in a week
  13. freco

freco Adventurer

Oddometer:
  14. sharpie1

sharpie1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry, no pics, not really much to see unless I took some while doing the install, which I did not. Be warned, if you do this you will need to drill out the 4 holes a bit to get the rubber captive nuts through the windscreen.
  15. Masso75

Masso75 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK thanks
  16. OrangeDevil37

Oddometer:
    ok well im really pissed! i just got my screen and lights in. i get home and started to put everything together and realize i gotta drill the brackets to get it to fit. after doing that and getting it mounted (and slicing my finger open) i hook up the lights to check them out and turn my bike on and run the low beam and then flipped the high beam on and waited and waited and waited and nothing! so i start flipping switches and try again.... nothing! so i pull the light harness back out and unplug it and plug back in and try again. same thing, nothing from the high beam other than the mechanical sound.

ok so i check the bulb and find out the filament is busted!!!!!:splat i emailed rade and im waiting on a response. hopefully he can help me out and if he does its going to be another month and half to 2 months before i get anything again. i wont lie, i was really hyped about getting this but now i feel like i wasted $350.
  17. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    You have to wonder when everyone else has a great experience and your the only one having issues :D
  18. OrangeDevil37

Oddometer:
    im not downing the product, but when i got my box it was half way smashed like ace ventura delivered it. i was under the impression i wouldnt have to modify anything to get it put in. the quality of the product is great but its been a bad day for me. after tinkering around with light mount and sizing drill bits to make the oem hardware work with the rubber grommets to get them to fit i got the bottom bolts in and jerry rigged the top screws to work.

now i just tried to fit the screen the screen to see if everything lined up and i cant get 2 holes to thread the bolts in. if i do the right side the left middle and bottom hole wont line up. vice versa. im wondering if i can soder the light to get it work and maybe drilling the carbon fiber out so i can get the bolts in? raid got back with me and i sent him some pics of everything and waiting on responce from him now. call me crazy but it wasnt exactly how everyone said it would go together.

does anyone know if i can buy a new bulb or do i have to get a new light as well? i can deal with the modifying the bracket. i got worked up a little. nothing against rade or the product just aggravated. im hoping i dont have to wait another while to get it how it should be coming out of the box. ill post some pics
  19. OrangeDevil37

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  20. OrangeDevil37

Oddometer:
    i cant get these holes to line up to save my life.
    [​IMG]

my ace ventura box. the light was on the crushed side
    [​IMG]

another view of my bulb. this is how is was when i unwrapped it
    [​IMG]