Rade Garage Review

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by craigincali, Jun 13, 2014.

1. craigincali

craigincali I'll try it.

Oddometer:
    if you looked up those lights on ebay you can find them pretty cheap. The package was sent half way around the world with glass in it, it was bound to happen to someone.

As far as the holes being off, IDK, mine were perfect. I did have to buy longer screws for the clear cover. I think they cost me 60cents. Drill two of the holes the next size up and move on.

I get you are upset, all of these "problems" arent a big deal. Finish talking with Rade then if you arent satified then let us know..
  2. Frog uk

Frog uk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine turned up this week (3 week wait which is fine ) box and packaging were perfect, and IMO very well packaged. I don't think you can blame Rade for the state of the box because some Muppet has played football with it during shipping.

The bulb being broken? Well shit happens, Ktm are sending out top dollar bikes with airboxes that don't work that eat the engine yet people defend them to the death.

The fitting issues are more concerning, however to date yours is the first I've heard that's having problems so May just be unlucky.

I'll be fitting mine this morning so I'll see how I go and report back, however, so far it all looks well made and well put together, fingers crossed.
  3. henryroten

henryroten Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just got mine a couple of days ago (took exactly 10 days to get to my place in California). I had some fitting problems as well, but ended up using longer screws, keeping all 5 loose and then pulling out the bottom left side of the screen and slipped in the screw and got it to take. Slowly tightened them all down and now it looks perfect. However, I do believe that the bottom screw holes are too far in from the side by about 1/4", which Rade should look into and correct. Test ride today, hope it does all that it is supposed to do!

p.s. I got the EVO 6 not the RR, if that matters.
  4. OrangeDevil37

OrangeDevil37 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    well im going to try and soder the light to see if i can get it to work. i figured i would just run my low beam until i can figure something out and went ahead and tried to fit the screen back on. i couldnt get it to line up yesterday when i was pissed so tried again just now. it doesnt matter which way i bolt it up i can only get 4 of 6 screws in. then i was going to put the plexi screen on and only 3 of 4 bolt holes line up. in order for me to get the 4th hole to line i will have to drill a new hole which is going to make the existing one too big and screws that are in are in at a angle. hopefully this is just a fluke. still waiting on rade to get back with me.

[​IMG]
  5. freco

freco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well... on mine, only one hole of the screen was not perfectly adjusted (up left) but I managed to make it work with some gently push.
    As for the plexi, holes were lined up but I pushed the screws a bit more and I now have a small crack in the upper left corner. Everything was fine at the beginning. I was staring excited at the bike, and suddenly I heard a small noise. Came closer and saw the crack. But shit happens. Right?
    I have to adjust the lights sometime, so I 'll put the second plexi that was in the package.

Thanks Rade. :clap
  6. OrangeDevil37

Oddometer:
    I will say I really like the screen and lights just kinda bummed I'm running into issues. The quality of the parts is really good. The holes are off enough to make things difficult UT I'm looking into solutions. Sucks having new parts and still have to use old stuff for the time being to shake out. I was looking at the screws on the lights and can't really figure out which one adjusts the lights. Do I have to adjust both bottom and top screws to raise or lower the beam on the lights?
  7. Dustodust

Dustodust Long timer

Oddometer:
    those tall screens make me cringe ....[​IMG]
  8. grant22

grant22 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They shouldn't dust. They're still shorter than stock and angle forward. I ride mine very aggressively. In the whoops with my head over the front wheel, it never comes close to contacting my head or neck. It's a great design.
    Harpoonigan and craigincali like this.
  9. freco

freco Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That's my thought.
    Is there any other way?

Sent from Tapatalk for microwaves by accident.
  10. OrangeDevil37

Oddometer:
    Talked with rade and he is going to replace my bulb and if I can't my screen to work he will replace my unit with a new one. He said he will probably make a few adjustments to the hole sizing. I will say the screen it's self is pretty impressive. Adjusting the lights is ki da weird but I think I have figured it out. I think...
  11. juames

juames Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer:
    I think folks have to remember that these are a quality custom made piece, and each one is made by hand and not mass produced in a factory somewhere. With custom made items there it usually a little bit of tlc to get it just right. Also important to remember that each one of bikes our have lived very different lives, so thier fairing mounts, bolt holes, brackets, etc will not all be exactly the same. Some will require more "finesse" than others when installing something like a Rade kit.

:gerg

But after all is said and done... I love it!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  12. henryroten

henryroten Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I took the 990 out yesterday for a quick 100 mile loop in the local hills to test out the new Rade screen. In comparing the EVO 6 to the stock screen, I found that the EVO did reduce buffeting and body windblast...maybe not as much of a reduction as I thought, but definitely an improvement. For example, with the stock screen riding with my visor up, wind would suddenly close it shut at around 40-45 mph. With the EVO, 50-55 mph and the visor would snap shut. So progress was made in the search for a more comfortable ride. I would certainly recommend it, would buy another if this one got damaged, but what I like the most is the look it gives to the 990R. Beautiful.
  13. OrangeDevil37

Oddometer:
    Sweet bike! The crispy designs and rade screen make it awesome!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]
  14. illking

illking Sketchy

Oddometer:
    Mine took 10 days to arrive in Los Angeles. Packaging was excellent, Install was simple and fit is great. Haven't ridden at night but the beams seem to put out quite a bit more light. Too much traffic this morning to feel buffeting difference above 60mph.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  15. baltpari

baltpari Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It took me more than half an hour to put but now i can clean the inside easy unscrew from the outside!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You never know what you have until ... you clean it !!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  16. OrangeDevil37

Oddometer:
    did you put rivets in the screen?
  17. juames

juames Have Fun, Don't Die!

Oddometer:
    This is brilliant! Rade should make this part of the package. Where did you find the fasteners?
  18. Frog uk

Frog uk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great idea.

They're called Rivnuts, look on Ebay.
  19. Masso75

Masso75 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the original rubber rivnuts of original windshield........I will install them in next days
  20. baltpari

baltpari Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Rivnuts and spacers.
    My idea of leaving some space between the lights and the clear plexi worked, as if i knew it this would happen.
    I had been thrown a big rock by an other 990 while i was behind the i had the plexi broken but the lights are ok.
    RADE provides 2 plexiglass so i am ok but it should have been made out of polycarbonate.

[​IMG]