Radial Magnetic Filtration

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by duggyb, Aug 6, 2019.

1. duggyb

duggyb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Curious if any of you guys ever considered a Attraxx Radial Magnetic Filter for your bike? There is a guy here that makes them and I know a number of riders that have had them for years with no issues, the concept itself is very proven for decades in other fields outside of moto.

He also of tons of data on oil analysis, etc etc plus even made a setup where he put it inside a OEM filter and it shows what the OEM filter doesn't even catch!

I know this post is going to open a dufflebag of Naysayers and Dosayers but I figured it was worth mentioning and i really want to hear the conversation around the topic, and I definitely think they are a better option that stainless filters. Plus for RTW travel they literally could save your bike in the case of a spot you dont have a filter. I know they are not cheap but all things considered with the hours ADV riders do they pay for themselves quick.

Would love to hear your guys thoughts, positive or negative and just have an overall good discussion on the topic.

EDIT- Before I hear people screaming that its not just metal particles we are trying to catch, please read the data and info, the magnetic field statically charges the oil in which case it even charges the dirt particles that are non magnetic and grabs them too! And a a micron level better than a paper filter!

http://www.akramertech.ca/attraxx-oil-filter.html

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Boricua

Boricua Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you are concerned about dirty oil, change the oil more frequently. $200 buys a lot of quarts of oil.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  3. duggyb

duggyb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I think you are missing the point, on a bike with a 1.3L capacity and long distance travel its not always a possibility to carry good quality spare oil for multiple changes. If this filter removes contaminates from the oil and makes it last longer it could be a great option for RTW or distance trips on small capacity bikes(what its designed for)
  4. Wind Junky

Wind Junky Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Attraxx Radial Magnetic Filter

This is a very interesting idea. When you get one please let us know how it works out for you.
    duggyb likes this.
  5. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    The only reason i still like paper filter is for seeing if water is in the oil, if they could give us a water indicator i'd be all over it.
  6. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm not so sure as to the "Static Adhesion" claims and the efficiency of such filtration. The website shows an analysis of the shit left on the magnet, not an analysis of the oil itself. Misleading at best.
    James Adams, Tsotsie and 2talltom like this.
  7. Boricua

Boricua Long timer

Oddometer:
    Define long distance? Miles? days? Months?
  8. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son?

Oddometer:
    I'm in no way a hater here. I love innovation and change when it addresses an issue that needs addressing. That said, I have to ask the same question I ask when folks mention the Scott's metal filter, or other alternatives...

As the past owner of a few trouble-free 6-figure mile bikes, I'm wondering what problem is it that we're trying to fix with this filter. A standard filter costs under $10 and performs brilliantly. Even if you're a bigger mile rider and put in, say, 30,000 a year (I know this isn't big big, but it's well above average) you're spending maybe $40 a year on oil filters. So in 3 years I've broken even (roughly) if I buy one of these.

I get that they say it filters better, but so what? A quality conventional filter is sufficient for deep runs into 6-figure mileage territory, so in a practical sense, what is gained?

EDIT: I see that you're saying that it's specifically designed for RTW type riding where you may not be able to source a filter. I can see using it in that case, but apart from that...?
  9. duggyb

duggyb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is super valid and is a concern for sure with lots of creek crossings

There is oil analysis done as well i believe it is on the website id have to look again but i have seen it, not trying to mislead anyone, the oil has come back cleaner and filter caught more(both on filter on its own and with the ATTRAXX filter inside of the stock KTM one)

months to years, RTW or distance trips

RTW where no filter available is one application, but on these bikes(ktm and husky 500/450) with 1.3-1.5L capacity the oil change interval even for distance riding can be 2000-2500km so that would be actually 15 filters at $10 each for $150 on filters in 30,000km. Guys like @Aaron.S ( few and far between i know) are at 70-80k km so at that point the filter has overpaid for itself if it worked, and kept allot of filters out of the landfill/ saves you from carrying filters on RTW travel.

As for problem its trying to solve, i agree i am not sure the problem needs solving, hence why i started this thread, i am however kind of sold on the idea that it filters better than a factory filter which could prolong engine use and just overall i think better filtration is a good thing. In the other applications of this technology(google One Eye Industries) the difference the filtration makes on making equipment last longer is outstanding. Now do our bikes need that? maybe so maybe not.

Although if it can filter the oil better and keep the oil cleaner longer with you just cleaning the magnetic part this for sure could be crucial even on shorter trips, say on a two week trip at week one you wipe it off and its back to keeping the oil ultra clean and lasting longer instead of breaking down and needing a change.

Either way I am glad for the great discussion and lets keep it going.
    nk14zp likes this.
  10. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Utter ... non-sense. Especially the "entrapment" part. This "filter" is a foul attempt to replicate an electrostatic filter BUT there is a considerable difference in how charged particles move through electrostatic and magnetic fields.
  11. duggyb

duggyb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    interesting, care to elaborate?
  12. Tsotsie

Tsotsie Semi-reformed Tsotsi Supporter

Oddometer:
    Stock filters and a cheap magnetic drain plug have worked for me the last 170K miles.
  13. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    The analysis shown on their web site is an analysis of the solids collected from the magnet. There is no fluid oil sample analysis anywhere on their site that I could find, please provide a link if you have it I'm very interested in seeing it.

Eclipse Magnetics products are almost identical but specifically they only talk about ferrous materials being filtered. They make ZERO attempt to indicate anything other than ferrous material is filtered.

https://www.eclipsemagnetics.com/na/filtration-systems/

https://www.eclipsemagnetics.com/na/filtration-systems-how-it-works/

If they really want to prove the product I would suggest they get a volume of used oil. Have a sample of that volume sent out for oil analysis. Split the volume in two and run 1/2 through their magnetic system and one have through an OEM filter. Run oil analysis on the two split samples and compare those to the sample taken before splitting.

How many KTM & Husqvarnas do you think are currently doing RTW travel?

No, I'm not a hater. I am totally into using the latest and greatest technology whenever possible.
  14. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Scott's stainless steel oil filter and a magnetic drain plug. I carry a small plastic cup with me that I fill with gasoline to wash out the filter. Been working for me on long trips. Never have to carry a spare filter.
    nk14zp likes this.
  15. Strong Bad

Oddometer:
    I think the Scotts Stainless Steel Screen is a great idea for a race bike, where the oil is changed and the motor is rebuilt often. It works well for maximum flow and keeping the big chunks of a blown motor from going far causing additional damage. I personally would NEVER use that on a bike where you went multiple 1,000's of miles between oil changes.
  16. Motopsychoman

Motopsychoman Not a total poseur Supporter

Oddometer:
    35 micron pore size is better than a paper filter. Also, not likely to come apart and wad up like I've had paper filters do in the past. At 50,000+ miles on this bike now (with the Scott's filter). I typically run 5,000 to 7,000 miles between changes, based on oil color and smell. Works out to about 2 changes a year.

Stick with what you think works best for you. Washable filters (Scott's for oil, UNI for air) are big advantages when on the road for months at at time without access to parts and shop facilities.
    nk14zp likes this.
  17. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son?

Oddometer:
    I"m too lazy to Goog up paper media specs, but the media used in all premium filters (Mobil 1 EL and others) do better than 35 microns...30 for the Mobil 1 IIRC...which is better than the OEM spec would require I'm sure, so what problem is it we're solving again? Quality filters essentially never fail. Spending $100 or whatever on a reusable filter that does a worse job filtering has always seemed silly to me (again, unless you're riding for extended periods in remote areas).
    petertakov and Strong Bad like this.
  18. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hurray, travelling to remote areas for extended periods of time is finally possible thanks to the washable oil filters !!! I love how people create imaginary problems in order to justify spending on yet another "revolutionary" gadget. Post-purchase rationalisation at its purest form :-)))

@dietDrThunder I totally agree with you, BTW :-)
    BluByU and George Hanson like this.
  19. ABHooligan

ABHooligan The Flying Mythos

Oddometer:
    I recently stuck neodymium magnets on my (spin-on) oil filters to catch metal particles. I'll cut one open next change and report back. After I get back from RTW.
  20. seaduck100

seaduck100 You just got smoked by an old guy on a cb500x

Oddometer:
    I may be missing something here, but wouldn't you be better served by a magnetic drain plug and a good quality oil filter?

The drain plug magnet has gravity assisting in the catchment of ferrous debris whereas the oil filter does not.

Wouldn't it be possible to stick a neodynium magnetic collar of some kind to around the exterior of a standard oil filter to take up any ferrous particulate secondarily as it passes the oil filter?

I reckon that if the additional magnetic exterior collar was part of the equation, you for sure wouldn't want to remove it from the filter until you did the oil and filter change, because it could kick loose all of the collected debris.

Just an Idea.