1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

Raid RidAventure Québec...

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida' started by touche, Feb 3, 2008.

1. touche

touche RidAventure maniac

Oddometer:
    Still working on it..

Entire north shore from MOntreal (Ste-Eustache) to Baiecomeau is done (routing is done I mean)...

From there a ferry ride to Matane, and from there to the end (Ste-Eustache again) is to be worked in more detail in the coming weeks.

So far it looks like a second group could start on the other direction, reversing the road and we would meet somewhere on the loop, it would be great because the entire road would then be checked and tried...

More to come soon.

If any of you is interested in discovering this route with us let me know, a second group seems to be on its way to be formed.
  2. blues

blues Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Touche, that's awesome!

I'm planning a trip for late summer to Gaspesie, crossing at Matane to the North Coast, then I would like to do some exploring around the Saguaney Fjord, ride through the Charleviox region with a final stop in Quebec City. There is so much to see and do. It looks like I could pick up the route 50 miles north of here and go from there.
    I'd be glad to help out anyway I can.

I picked up a KLR 650 for the trip which I am setting up now, trying to learn enough French to get by, and reading the guide books for each region. I am going to travel light and stay in B&Bs as I'd like to get involved a little. Hopefully the KLR won't be too big for this ride.

Quebec is so large, much bigger than most people think, and with lots of wilderness, it's great that you are doing this. Merci beaucoup.

Blues
  3. Lobster Grrl

Lobster Grrl Ground feeder

Oddometer:
    The Charlevoix region of Quebec is very nice. I highly recommend an overnight at Baie St. Paul especially in the downtown area. There are several B+B's and Auberges in the area. I stayed at La Muse this winter and was very pleased. It is a small town renown for its artists. Lots of French influence. Narrow sstreets with many galleries and boutiques. Fantastic cusuine using many local meats and cheeses and beer :beer Lot's of backcountry to explore. I've only ever been in the winter to ski, but will venture over that way in the summer if I ever get a dual sport. I've also been to the Gaspesie, Saguaney Fjord and Quebec City--for skiing, and can not say enough about the terrain, atmosphere and food. There is much backcountry to explore in the region.

Have fun, you will want to go back many times.

lg
  4. blues

blues Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ahh, just the type of thing I'm looking for. The plan is to ride hard most days and then stay some where nice and have a good dinner, that's my idea of traveling. A decent cup of expresso in the morning and I'm ready for anything. Baie St. Paul sounds perfect.

Thanks Lobster Grrl

PS If you live near a major city keeps your eye on E-Bay and the local Craig's list. Good DS bikes come up all the time.
  5. Lobster Grrl

Lobster Grrl Ground feeder

Oddometer:
    I noticed you like blues music. You may want to check out the Sutton Blues Festival in the village of Sutton in the eastern townships of Quebec--not far from you. I've never been, but have stayed at the Auberge of the Appalaches for several years to ski, and highly reccommed the accomadations. The festival sounds like a good time.

http://www.auberge-appalaches.com/en/2007/blues/index.php

I bought a 2007 KLX 250 this afternoon on Craigslist. Used, 350 miles. Need to lower the seat. Otherwise should be perfect :D:D:D
  6. TacticalRider

TacticalRider No Road, No Problem

Oddometer:
    This looks like a great ride and best of all it close to home.

Any thoughts about making a loop to connect up to the North road and up to Radisson. The Route de la Baie-James (James Bay Hwy) is a great ride but would be much more fun by dirt roads or trails.

I’ll definitely be riding some of it this year.
  7. touche

Oddometer:
    Actually no, it is not in our plan, but having a connection with Ontario in temiscamingue area could be interesting, if such a loop was done by you neighbours on your side... isn't it :freaky
  8. touche

Oddometer:
    Snow melting update....

Even with the large amount of snow we did receive this year, look slike it's melting fast enough for us to be OK at our first trial on may 24.
  9. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    I couple of friends of mine put on that festival so if you bump into Jean or France say hi from Riley.

10. FlyingDutchman

FlyingDutchman Dirt Biker

Oddometer:
    Project sounds great!

Just got my GPS, don't know if I can be of much help but I have been riding the woods North of Ottawa the last few weekends...

For some pics, check out my post under Regional - Canada - Quebec Ottawa Area KLR .

Mike
  11. touche

Oddometer:
  12. acrosscanadatrails

acrosscanadatrails GPS Mapper - CGOAB

Oddometer:
    Hey,
    In case you didnt know GPS Sledmaps. ... Snowmobling .. these guys also want trail maps.. fortunatly for them some of the TCT allows sledding. .. My map would also show where you can and cannot use a sled on the Trans Canada Trail ...
    .. The easiest way is to use the funkey icon so people know what to look for. .. and for ADVrider map, i'll use the icon for here. ... it's all for free so i dont think anyone would have a problem with it. ... and sure, yes, the Ridadventure map would be added.
    Im thinking 'ADVCanada Trail' .. for the national route. .. as the ontario map would be named different??? (there is someone collecting the tracks, just got to remember where that link is)

If anyone needs help in making there maps, i'm happy to help out too.

This website gives you step by step instructions on how to build a map and what programs to download. .. it automatically makes those code files and tells you where to put it.... the result, a similar setup file like i have.
    http://www.gpssledmaps.com/guide/

My setup file map for the Across Canada Trails GPS Map is here.
    http://mapcenter2.cgpsmapper.com/mapview.php?id=1882

What i can do is combine the different trail maps that you guys produce, so then they all show up as a transparent overlay ontop of the Ibycus Topo. .. so then the user can navigate on which ever trail they want.
    .. currently the Unofficial Trans Canada Trail is listed in there, so you know where to stay away from. ... but of course, some of the trails do allow moterized vehicles. ..so hopefully, by the time the full route map is done ... all users will know which roads to go on for which recreational type.

Hope that helps,
    Sam Vekemans
    Across Canada Trails
    :norton
  13. touche

Oddometer:
    Time for an update...

I have been out of circuit lately, broke a leg, ankle and ligaments and everything.... but that'a an other story.

I did not have time to complete the ride report but I can share with you our photo album.

The Raid RidAventure mai 2008 album is splitted in 7 days.

Give it a look, might have fun looking at these nice quebec trails...

http://www.ridaventure.com/gallery/v/Rides/Raidmai08/
  14. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about your accident. Thanks for posting and get well soon.
  15. touche

Oddometer:
    :clap
    My first steps after my accident :rofl

[​IMG]

And lately got the R1200GS sucessor...
    [​IMG]

Our RaidRidAventure project is still on the work bench, two of our riders just spent 2 weeks exploring the Raid from its end, from Montreal to Gaspesie..

As I get my GPS back with track sI will make an update...
  16. Pundy

Pundy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have the GPS tracks for this ride? I have not been able to get them off the ridadventure.com website.
  17. touche

Oddometer:
  18. intotheabis

intotheabis High on life!

Oddometer:
    Hello, if anyone from the Montreal area can help me with this it would be much appreciated. I was staying at the Sandman Hotel in Longuiuel on Tuesday - Wednesday of this week and I had my Silver 2008 Toyota Tacoma with my 2005 Red an Black 650 KLR in the back of it parked in the parking lot. Someone stole the whole works, bike and truck as well as all of my riding gear in the truck. If anyone has any info on this please contact myself or the Police in Longuiel.
    Thank you
    PS to make matters worse, the bike was my wifes!
  19. intotheabis

intotheabis High on life!

Oddometer:
    I have the tracks for this, PM me with your email address and I will send them to you.
    Gary

20. BKMLWR

BKMLWR Wondering around...

Oddometer:
    this is getting to be a common event in Quebec during snowmobile season, stealing the whole rig, truck, trailer and sleds...