Railroad Structures in Wisconsin

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Cannonshot, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Essnowyt

Essnowyt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WOW! Cannonshot you did it again. You find the coolest stuff. I look forward to exploring some of these when it is warm again.

Snowy.
  2. Poweranger

Poweranger Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cannon, that was a Roadrailer train. I am very surprised to see one in Wisconsin. I believe the company I work for (NS) is the only one that runs these. Very easy train to operate because there is no slack between the trailers like in a typical railcar coupling.

One of the early drawbacks to these trailers was added weight because a single rail wheel set was permanently attached under the trailer. It really limited the amount of lading that could be carried on road. Now they prop them up on the removable boogie. They have designated yards where these trains have to be assembled and disassembled because of the need for special equipment and trained people. If there is a problem in route with one of these trains the company that assembles the train comes out and works on it. The conductor or railroad car repairman can not make any repairs to these except to one basic air hose coupling. The company that assembles and disassembles the trains is called Triple Crown Services and I think they are owned by Norfolk Southern railway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadrailer

http://www.triplecrownsvc.com/
  3. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Interesting stuff! I figured it had to be some kind of unit train since it looked like it required special handling at cargo transfer points.

When I first looked at it (from a distance) I thought the trailers had to be sitting on a heavy frame since a train connected with standard trailers would easily pull apart. I see from the material you posted that the trailers are built with substantial frames designed for this so there are no problems. No slack in the train must be nice and save on knuckle and tow bar failures.

I think you are right about this being a rare configuration to see on the CN tracks. I never saw one before that I remember taking note of.

Thanks for the great info!
  4. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Snowy, I'm glad you are enjoying this. Looking forward to seeing your posts once you start capturing some of these locations! :thumb
  5. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Wauwatosa Depot

[​IMG]

The Little Red Store is the oldest commercial structure in Wauwatosa.

[​IMG]

It was built by a guy who intended to use it as a blacksmith shop back in 1854. In 1850 Wisconsin's firs railroad came to town with a five mile stretch that ran from Milwaukee to a tavern in 'Tosa. Right after the store was built it became the railroad depot, ticket office, and express office.

[​IMG]

Eventually more activities got added to the store. It had a medical practice on the second floor, had a grocery, hardware, medicines, farm tools, post office, and a library. People decided they needed a separate new depot so one that no longer survives was built a little further east along the tracks.

[​IMG]

Replacement depot (no longer exists).

[​IMG]

Old bridge along this main line. A view from the crosswalk.

[​IMG]
  6. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Butler Yard and Engine Maintenance Facility

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Train crew debarking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That crew just parked the train on the right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Railroad Bridge, Milwaukee River, W & S RR

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Railroad Bridge, Milwaukee River, UP

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  9. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Random Lake Depot

The Randon Lake depot has been moved from town to a rural location several miles out of town.

[​IMG]

The railroad first hit town in 1872. Not sure when this depot was built.

[​IMG]

Somebody bought it and moved it to the land where it currently stands.

[​IMG]
  10. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Doylestown Depot

Pretty much a standard wooden depot. They moved it from the tracks to someone's property in town.

[​IMG]

Back in 1931 some guys robbed the bank here in town. A farmer tried to stop them with a brick he had in his hand. He got shot in the wrist. The brick didn't work so well I guess.

Now the depot has been converted to a big garage and shed type thing.

[​IMG]
  11. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Depots in Elkhart Lake

The railroad came to town in 1872.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the 1920s, trains brought gamblers to town. Illegal gambling was rampant in Elkhart Lake with slot machines everywhere. Eventually it got cleaned up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Cedarburg Freight Depot

[​IMG]

The railroad hit town in 1870. In 1874 they built their first terminal. In 1907 they replaced that with something nice and the old terminal reverted to storage.

[​IMG]
  13. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in Supporter

Oddometer:
    was commissioned by cannonshot to get some photos in Sturgeon Bay since he knew I was gonna be up there....not too good of hurried shots and light was dropping fast....some of the structures are gone...I will post a teaser, but retired bryan will have to do the detail....:lol3
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

buoy winter storage across street...years of service on this one..I wonder how often they rotate the bell :dunno
    [​IMG]

There was an old railroad building in Howard near my office that was razed in the last month or so.....I wish I shot photos of it....the prior owner had a big sign on it..."Please save me, I am an old building from late 1800's. Fix me up, don't tear me down"....it's gone now
  14. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Thanks for knocking off those Sturgeon Bay locations Jeff!

I see you got a shot of the freight depot by the shipyard as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the aerial for those two structures.

[​IMG]

1925 DoD Map that show the tracks and the station.

[​IMG]

The brick depot was built in 1914 by the Green Bay & Western RR. The loading platform is on the back side.

[​IMG]

This is the aerial that relates to the two story depot on the west side of the channel. You can see that the angle of the building lines up with the signs of the former right of way that turned and ran onto a bridge.

[​IMG]

The two story depot was also part of the Ahnapee & Western which came to Sturgeon Bay in 1894. The A & W hauled a lot of materials for shipbuilding during WWII. They also hauled German prisoners of war to Door County to harvest fruit. Most of the rail line is now a state bicycle trail. There is a lot of old railroad stuff along the length of that trail. I think the A & W only ran about 35 miles of track.

[​IMG]

Ted Ellis has this picture of the A & W power units posted on his website.

[​IMG]

Looking over the aerial in Sturgeon Bay I can see other buildings that line up with the track orientation. One is what appears to be the Quonset style engine house just south of the two story depot. A glimpse of the north end of the building using street view photos on Google Maps indicates that the Quonset is the engine house depicted in Ted's photo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. freeflow

freeflow get in or go in Supporter

Oddometer:
    I looked at the Quonset hut and figured it was same vintage. signs all over saying No Trespassing...now owned by Roen Salvage and they winter some of their tugs and barges there. Marine contractor. http://www.roensalvage.com/
  16. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Cedarburg Interurban Station

[​IMG]

There used to be an electric railway that ran from Milwaukee to Sheboygan. They had a nice depot here in Cedarburg. The picture shows one of the Milwaukee Northern Railway cars at the depot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Cedarburg CNW Depot

[​IMG]

The railroad came to Cedarburg in 1870. In 1907 they built this combination depot.

[​IMG]

When the railroad first got to town, it ended at Cedarburg. By 1893, the tracks ran all the way to Lake Superior.

[​IMG]

There were four trains going north and four trains going south each day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    Depots in Plymouth

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The railroad first came to Plymouth in 1859. The first train had one passenger car and a few freight cars.

Freight depot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1912 depot share by the CNW and the Milwaukee Road.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. Cannonshot

Oddometer:
    As a side note, some railroads are trying to go to one person crews. New technology like positive train control may make this a more reasonable proposition.

OMAHA, Neb. (AP) — When American freight trains delivered cargo after World War II, the steam-belching beasts commonly had seven people aboard — an engineer, a conductor, up to four brakemen and a fireman.

Trains have since grown much longer, seemingly stretching to the horizon and often taking 20 minutes to pass through a crossing. And crews have been reduced in size — to five people in the 1970s and two in 1991. Now U.S. railroads want to put a single person in charge of today's huge locomotives, taking another step toward a future in which the nation's rail-cargo system increasingly could resemble toy train sets — highly mechanized networks run by computers or distant controllers.

For the moment, freight trains generally have two people aboard — an engineer who drives the train and a conductor who oversees the long line of cars. Railroad executives want to reduce that to a lone engineer, saying advances in safety systems, including a new automatic braking system under development, could minimize risks.

But labor groups and people who live near rail lines are skeptical.

"These trains are 7,000 tons going 50 mph. You have to have two people," said J.P. Wright, an engineer for CSX railroad in Louisville, Kentucky. "It's mindboggling to me that the railroads would go this far with it."

The mayor of the Chicago suburb of Barrington asks how one person could split a stopped train to allow traffic and first responders through in the event of an emergency.
  20. WRW9751

WRW9751 7th Day Adventurist

Oddometer:
    Cannon you are very informed. I retired as a conductor in 2011. Railroads have been reducing the crew size as you've mentioned. A lot of the train crews have engine and conductor rights. It would be far better for them to error on the side of safety and allow each crew member to run the train 1/2 of the hours of service (12) rather than eliminate one of the positions. Railroads are wired very high in the political landscape and generally get what they pay for! Movers and shakers have always controlled the railroads. Still do!