Rain is over for the week... Where we ridin?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by Mr Head, Oct 28, 2004.

1. billy bee

billy bee AAdventurer

Oddometer:
    OK. Let me see if I can cut thru the clutter:
    • Nick and Dick are riding Ortega with the Crash Club Sunday.
    • DV in Dec (1st wknd) works for me and Nick.
    • Mary, Paul, and I are blowing off our families on Thanksgiving and going dirt riding.
    • Christi and Nick are going dirt riding with their families on Thanksgiving.
    • Nick does not know what a flap-o-static adaptor is. (For the sake of Pete, Nick, it's just like a skyhook).
    • Mrs. Head is a Cat.
    • Nick is still wondering what the heck I am talking about.
    Who needs riding?

bb
  2. KillerPriller

KillerPriller Long timer

Oddometer:

:huh ????????

Are you talking about a fifi hook? Some people call them skyhooks, but not sure what the hell your talking about. [​IMG]

and who the hell is this Pete guy your talking about?

I think the list is accurate. Per the list, Mr. Head and i hit Ortega this morning. Wildomar was closed, but the Lookout was serving breakfast, so we went there instead.

Speaking of "B"-fast, here Christi tears up the 30-30's!

The lower "30"
    [​IMG]

The upper "30"
    [​IMG]

and blasting on past!
    [​IMG]

Typical Sunday morning (fair wheather) crowd at the Lookout.
    [​IMG]

Christi had b-fast with us.
    [​IMG]

Dick and I rode out the 20+ miles of Killen Trail.
    Here is a dirt section on one of the closed roads. This was much steeper than it appears.
    [​IMG]

There were parts of the road (still paved) where you were down to 10miles an hour, with 40ft of road visable at a time. Turns were so sharp and so blind, that head-on's were inevitable if both parties were not paying attention. On the way back, it looked like a Forrest Ranger and bicyclist had collided. Both were ok, (ranger taking pics for his files) so we kept going.

Anyway, i think we have twisted this thread enough. Had a good ride this morning. Looking forward to the DV ride in Dec.

nk
  3. papavero

papavero Just good enough.

Oddometer:
    Yesterday was busy for. First we (Jacki and I) did a 5k breast cancer walk in the morning for the city of Corona/Norco. After that, I spent the afternoon at Chaparall buy tires for the Voyager XII. Boy do I like these Metzeler 880's. Dick these are the ticket for this big bike.

You got it correct Bill, I'm in for the dirt school Thanksgiving. I got a hall pass to go.

Looks like I missed all the chatter sbout this weekends rides. Bill, mark me down as late AGAIN.

Paul
  4. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry Paul, I should have thought to call. My bad.

Thanks Nick for the ride. Breakfast was good. The company was wonderful. My solo ride up from the gas station was pretty nice. Not too much traffic, and I was my normal safety dude.

The dirt on Killen trail or whatever it's called was fun. Too bad that gate was closed. I got wet, but that didn't last too long. And again I didn't take near enough pictures.
    We found some huge houses. One place had a four place RV garage with rooms upstairs, and the main house was back behind the place! What would you need foour RV doors in the corners of a building for? And this place wasted the land for a horse corral instead of a much more useful flat track! What are these people thinking?

I guess it was one of those impoverished neighborhoods, no GS's. No motorcycles anywhere in evidence...

[​IMG]

This is where we stopped after all the dirt, checking the road in the other direction. The area is being built up with giant houses in the middle of nowhere, at least that's what it looks like. There look to be plenty of available lots.

Camp Pendalton is over there in the background someplace.

That is NOT cadillac dirt in the foreground. But, this road was nice and there was zero traffic.

[​IMG]

Nick sitting there playing with his camera. Over his shoulder is this incredible rockwork for a house not yet constructed, at least as far as I could see. The rain ruts in the access road to the site were about 18" deep. There doesn't seem to be any local interest in soil retention.
    And there were signs every few corners warning of yet another possible flood section. Not the best endorsement for sales I suppose...

[​IMG]

We stopped to watch the hang glider folks and these two para sail guys. Here Nick is about to take it on the head by the sail. The guy spun the rig around and it started dragging him West, up the hill toward the road. He added a bit too much brake on the starboard side and stalled it right onto the ground completely around Nick. I missed the shot.

[​IMG]

This yucky looking air is possibly why my throat is sore tonight.
    So, this guy finally gets one of these things airborne but not without a lot of flailing about and bluster... It really doesn't look all that peaceful, or controlled at first. It looks more like Mamola wrestling a speed wobble in the rain than the semi-pastorial scene depicted here.

The dirt was meager, but fun all the same. I vote for DV in early December as a tune-up for the January BMW thing.
  5. billy bee

billy bee AAdventurer

Oddometer:
    Drat. Looks like I missed a good ride. There was food and dirt and GSs. Impossible to go wrong.

I did the good SO thing, however. Mary and I took our dogs to (of all places) Belmont Shores for a Halloween Dog Parade. Good times.... Now off to W. Hollywood to cap off the day.... :puke1

bb
  6. Mr Head

Oddometer:

I would be shot if I wasn't here The entier Thanksgiving weekend cooking and helping to entertain relatives... BUt, a cheap trackday at BIgDubya could be cool. I have some meat left on the blade. I hear tell there is rain checks from these guys...
  7. billy bee

billy bee AAdventurer

Oddometer:
    Refer to The List:

Love to go some day. It would be fun to run Willow on TKC80s. Also been thinking about building a /5 into a vintage race bike.... (Talk about twisting a thread).

bb
  8. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    OK, then sort of back to the topic...

[​IMG]

A dirty bike.

And this after two bike washes!

I guess I have to find deeper washes.

Or some scrubbing bubbles... Or Bubbles who will scrub...
  9. papavero

Oddometer:
    The BMW commercial shows washing a GS the proper way, IMHO. My KLR saw the working end of a hose jusl long enough to rinse the chain prior to the application of chain lube, nuff washing, must ride. It had been several days since the KLR touched dirt, so had to run to the end of the block and run up and down the hill a few times. Just a tease. Kind of like licking the last drop out of a glass of your favorite beverage. Not sure about DV early Dec. Will have to see how things go after the T'Day dirt school.
  10. Big Dave

Big Dave The "Big Dave" from SoCal

Oddometer:
    Where are we riding this weekend? Is Santiago open yet? I have no plans to interupt riding this weekend. I really need to ride!!!!! I'd rather is be dirt.

Well??????
  11. papavero

Oddometer:
    I think I'm free for at least one of the days. Not being to familiar with the area, were to go is a bit of a mistery. If I had to find the area we went riding in the last time (up to Santiago Peak) I would be lost for sure. Dave, do you know your way round them thar hills?
  12. billy bee

billy bee AAdventurer

Oddometer:
    I am leaving for Vegas tomorrow aboard my Transalp. Spending two days at SEMA. Then heading for Flagstaff to swap the Alp for my new rig, a /6 with California sidecar. From there, Mary and I are taking the long way home thru Sedona, Prescott....

So, have fun riding. We shoudl start planning the Death Valley weekend. Is that a whole other thread? Nah, probably just another twist to this one.

Ride safely everybody. See you next weekend.

bb
  13. KillerPriller

KillerPriller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, lets start planning. We should meet over coffee and Maps sometime soon. (Dietrichs?)

As for this weekend, im up for riding!

I would like to ask for a promotion. I have been known as the "naysayer" for too long. From this point forth, i my new moniker shall be, "Rabble-rouser". And my first act as self appointed Rabble-rouser is to ride plan for El Mirage.

Ride Plan:

Departure: Saturday
    Destination: El Mirage
    Riding: Super slab, dirt road, and dry lake.
    Duration: 7am to 1pm
    Rally point: Breakfast at Coco’s restaurant at 8am (intersection of hwy 15 and 66 next to the Sport Chalet)

Who’s with me?????

Rabble-Rabble-Rabble- Rabble-Rabble-Rabble- Rabble-Rabble-Rabble- Rabble-Rabble-Rabble- Rabble-Rabble-Rabble- Rabble-Rabble-Rabble- Rabble-Rabble-Rabble- Rabble-Rabble-Rabble- Rabble-Rabble-Rabble- Rabble-Rabble-Rabble- Rabble-Rabble-Rabble- Rabble-Rabble-Rabble- Rabble-Rabble-Rabble- Rabble-Rabble-Rabble- Rabble-Rabble-Rabble- Rabble-Rabble-Rabble- Rabble-Rabble-Rabble- Rabble-Rabble-Rabble- Rabble-Rabble-Rabble- Rabble-Rabble-Rabble- Rabble-Rabble-Rabble- Rabble-Rabble-Rabble- Rabble-Rabble-Rabble- Rabble-Rabble-Rabble-
  14. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    <EDIT> Ah, old historic hwy66 and the 15. Now I get it.

OK, 7 it is.

I wonder if they have pie?

I get to be the curmudgeon, (a crusty irascible cantankerous old person full of stubborn ideas... M-W)... Will there be shade? Are we there yet?

So, I guess Paul gets to be the naysayer...
  15. papavero

Oddometer:
    OK. So far sounds good. I'll be in Vegas the next 2 days (wed, thur) at the SEMA show looking for Bill. What happened to Ojai on Sun? Is that now out? I'll have to take the wife someplace nice on sun if I play on Sat. Maybe to a small little restaurant in a quiet little town after a nice ride. Uuuummm. Dick, do they have pie at that restaurant?
  16. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    Naw, this is for Saturday. Sunday is a different day, I'm sure of that.
  17. KillerPriller

KillerPriller Long timer

Oddometer:
    yep, Dick is right, Sunday is a totaly different day than Saturday.
  18. KillerPriller

KillerPriller Long timer

Oddometer:
    yep, Dick is right, Sunday is a totaly different day than Saturday.
  19. Big Dave

Big Dave The "Big Dave" from SoCal

Oddometer:
    I think I will be going on this little putt up to the land of dirt filled lakes. I'm not sure if i will be riding the DR up or throw it on the trailer and provide the chase truck. My reason would be that I am geared real low right now. I'm afraid of what the ride up would do to my thumper at such high RPM for such a long time. I'm good for 65-70mph max. As it is that is upper 7000 rpm range and the motor feels/sounds like it is going to grenade. Maybe Paul and I can be the slower guys pulling up the back end if I ride up.

The short of it is..... I'll be there most deffinately.....maybe.
  20. Mr Head

Oddometer:
    Dave,

Are you aware your avatar is a Moose?!

:rofl