1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Rainbow Farm rides Baja

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by PJ Bren, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Burro driver

Burro driver dba John

Oddometer:
    Loved that road from San Juanico to Mulege!
  2. PJ Bren

PJ Bren Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    San Juanico
    San Juanico 3.jpg
    Between San Juanico and Mulege
    Arroyo.jpg
    keepshoveling and Saso like this.
  3. Fat Chance

Fat Chance Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m in, looking forward to watching the videos.
  4. PJ Bren

PJ Bren Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. PJ Bren

PJ Bren Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the recommendation on embedding the videos. Episode 3 is now up, I'll go back and see if I can fix the first two.
  6. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    Great ride reports....

Quick question.... who takes care of the farm while you two are wandering?
    The farmers I knew when I lived in Vermont worked insane hours and never got a rest...
  7. PJ Bren

PJ Bren Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We've got three families on the farm so we all cover for each other; also most of our products are seasonal with the intent of a couple months of winter off for shenanigans.
    Muscongus likes this.
  8. FinTec

FinTec Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great trip/RR and timely info as planning my go down that way for April. Huge thanks for the videos as those tend to set a better tone for a story I find. And they take time and effort. Well done.

"And the next one of you who says shenanigans gets pistol whipped!" - (come on, name that movie)
  9. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    :clap:clap
  10. mx813

mx813 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Some high water there...usually less than a foot (or at least the last time I crossed it.) The temps outside looked pleasant enough to strip down and keep the lowers dry.
  11. rockydog

rockydog just a guy

Oddometer:
    thank you for the video......hurrah
  12. PJ Bren

PJ Bren Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From Mulege we headed south along Conception Bay, which is beautiful (and RV filled), then turned inland towards La Purisima. Outside of La Purisima is a waterfall where we cooled off and camped for the night. La Purisima 2.jpg

The next day we headed towards San Javier mission, passing a couple lesser missions in the process and traversing some rocky, hilly country. Oasis dictate the location of the ranches and "towns" so they are few and far between.

San Javier is the most preserved mission in Baja; it is actually pretty amazing how well things preserve with not much rain. San Javier.jpg

From San Javier we headed to Loreto to grab some amazing tacos, water, and food, then headed towards an area called Agua Verde which several folks had told us we had to see. The road off the highway is halfway paved (in true Mexican style) and the scenic switchbacks down to the ocean are easy dirt and gorgeous. GOPR8118.JPG

We liked Agua Verde so much we camped for 4 nights (and came back for an additional 2 later on). Agua Verde.jpg
    knight, Saso and Burro driver like this.
  13. PJ Bren

PJ Bren Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agua Verde was tough to leave, but the show must go on so we retrace our steps to the highway, then resupplied in Ciudad Insurgentes/Consitution. We then headed east towards San Everisto through some amazing country and exciting roads.
    GOPR8219.JPG
    We camped in the mountains just about Everisto, then drove a whopping 10 miles to a secluded beach for another night of camping.
    GOPR8232.JPG
    A day travelling through "los colores" along the ocean and we were into La Paz. Los Colores.jpg
    keepshoveling, knight, Saso and 5 others like this.
  14. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Fantastic set of updates @PJ Bren! Man, I'm so bummed I didn't travel a bit further south and explore Agua Verde last November. Based on you hanging there for 4 nights and coming back, it's high on my list to visit the next time I'm down there (whether on a bike or in a cage).

Great pictures and I seriously like the places you've camped. Curious on where that spot is outside of La Purisima?

I thoroughly enjoyed our visit to San Javier. Were the tarantulas out and about as you made your way from Loreto inland?

Looking forward to more :thumb :thumb
  15. Mud Bucket

Mud Bucket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is great, I have Agua Verde on our route for 1 night camping. Very cool.
    You retraced your route back but isn't there a loop to hit Mex 1 one closer to Ciudad Insurgentes? I have put this into our route with the E-32 map.
    Just wondering what is real life vs. a Garmin topo map, lol. Not every road or trail on those things exist

Looks good!
  16. PJ Bren

PJ Bren Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is a newly dozed and graded route that begins a couple miles out of Agua Verde and does indeed go direct to constitution (or insurgentes if you route that way). We used this route to access Agua Verde when we came back a couple weeks later. Can't remember if the maps (google,E32) line up with this but it isn't too hard to find.
    Mud Bucket likes this.
  17. PJ Bren

PJ Bren Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you are interested in the Purisima camp spot PM me. I have mixed feelings about putting "secret spots" up on the interweb and making them not so secret.
    knight, Hill Climber and liv2day like this.
  18. PJ Bren

PJ Bren Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    jonz, knight, Holaday and 5 others like this.
  19. PJ Bren

PJ Bren Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We stopped in La Paz to organize a whale shark tour for the following morning, then left for La Ventana. Our friends had kindly hooked us up with a couple nights in their condo, so we luxuriated with beds and WiFi.

La Ventana .jpg

The next morning we saw whale sharks in La Paz; we thought they were worth the $50. Back on dry land we met up with Crawford, who would be riding with us for the next 2 weeks.

Whale Sharks.jpg

After killing another day in La Ventana for Superbowl Sunday we headed towards Cabo Pulmo using the coastal roads. The most beautiful part is between where the roads gets off the pavement and Los Barriles.

After camping on the beach outside Cabo Pulmo, we did a two tank dive in the marine park - sharks, fish, and whales abound.

Following the dive we took the direct route over the mountains towards Santiago and eventually Santa Rita hot springs.

Cabo Pulmo 2.jpg

They've got what appears to be a really nice spot to camp but our bad luck had us arrive on the only day they don't allow camping (Tuesday to Wednesday). No problem, we enjoyed the hot springs and setup camp in the abandon soccer field just up the hill.

Santa Rita Hot Springs.jpg

The next morning we headed south on the slab for a bit until we got to the Las Naranjas pass. Fun riding ensued through the mountains and on the Pacific side we followed dirt roads all the way to Todos Santos, which appears to be another gringo hideaway.
    keepshoveling, Halen, NSFW and 3 others like this.
  20. PJ Bren

PJ Bren Been here awhile

Oddometer: