Rake it out

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by jddschuller, Sep 16, 2011.

1. jddschuller

jddschuller rider

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to how I should go about raking the front end of my cafe style/bobber motorcylce. I'm a bigger guy so I would like the front tire to sit out a little more to kind of balance the look of me sitting on it out. Any suggestions are appreciated. I either want a raked triple tree or chop the kneck of the bike. I'm on a budget so maybe if there was a mod I could do to the current tree? I'll keep trail in mind of course.

Thanks!
  2. AustinJake

AustinJake DR650 - Versys

Oddometer:
  3. panhead_dan

panhead_dan disgruntled

Oddometer:
    Chopping for rake is the cheaper way to go if you have access to the tools needed. I have a recipe for doing this but it requires lengthening the forks too. Either way, increasing rake will lower the chassis. Increasing fork length corrects this.
    If you want my recipe, pm me.
  4. Robb

Robb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where are you located?

I've got a pro-built frame jig for sale, very cheap, if you're driving distance from Milwaukee WI! :)
  5. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now, I won't recomend this method, just passing it along.

My buddy Ralph grew up in a H-D shop, litteraly, he still lives in the building. Anyway if you hang around long enough you'll see a lot.

Ralph told me about a guy, let's call him Chuck. Now Chuck wanted a raked out front end like all the cool guys were getting on their bikes but, Chuck didn't have the bucks to do the fancy frame cutting and welding so, he bought some longer fork tubes and stuck them on. They made the front long but also tall . Not the look Chuck was after . So old Chuck found a nice solid wall and put the front tire against it. Then he reved her up and popped the clutch. He repeated this several times til the tubes were bent to Chuck's spec.

Then he took the tubes out ,twisted them 180 degrees and put em back on . Job done .