Rally Headlight reflection...

Discussion in 'Parallel World (790/890)' started by mattmor, Apr 15, 2021.

1. mattmor

mattmor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone have an issue with the reflection of the headlight onto the windscreen on a Rally? Not sure if its the same on the R's with the tinted screen. Wondering if its just because of the clear screen and winglets?

Thanks!
  2. BHoward

BHoward Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nope, not at all.
  3. grace

grace Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    nope. never noticed it.
  4. Crazysheep

Crazysheep Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I see a bit of clarity inside the tinted screen. But is so weak it doesn't bother me.
  5. TrailTrauma

TrailTrauma Nemophilist Supporter

Oddometer:
    And it's not the HL lighting scattering back through the clear pieces on the Rally?

Can you snap a shot while you're waiting to confirm your bias :D
  6. mattmor

mattmor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m sure it’s exactly what it is. Is it better on the tinted shields?

Thanks
  7. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    If it is coming up from below and scattering up onto the inside of the windscreen perhaps you can block it's path with a strip of sticky sided foam. It would be easy enough to test for that path. Try it.
    windblown101 likes this.
  8. windblown101

windblown101 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I never noticed it on the R until I shifted the screen forward a little to reduce buffeting. Now I have a noticable bit of back scatter/reflection. It bugged me a little at first until I realized it was still less light than I was getting from the instrument display. Doesn't bother me now.

20210416_075209.jpg
  9. Trollspeed

Trollspeed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have experienced this too where the clear creates a distracting glow behind it making it more difficult to see further ahead at night.
  10. Wildroamer

Wildroamer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is the "Look up" note something to help keep you from fixating on the gauges, etc? I like it!
    windblown101 likes this.
  11. windblown101

Oddometer:
    Not so much to avoid fixating on gauges themselves but to encourage looking further ahead in general. If I notice it while riding that's a sure sign my eyes and concentration are not where they should be. It's a concept that I was first introduced to back when I was a bit of a track day junkie. I find it a helpful concept offroad as well.

In general the concept is that the further out your concentration and focal point the more things "slow down". That gives the rider more time to develop a plan for where they want the bike to be and avoids a constant stream of last second decisions. In technical terrain I sometimes find myself to absorbed with the obstacle directly in front of me and fail to scan ahead and see the next one and the one after until I'm on top of them. This creates a situation where one is constantly racing to make decisions at the last second and leads to tactical errors which slow the pace, disrupts the "flow" and results in more frequent drops.

Scanning further ahead slows things down, enhances the flow, and in general makes for faster progress and more enjoyable experience.

So yeah, sometimes I feel a bit sheepish about having to have a sticker on my bike to remind me how to ride a motorcycle. But I get over it. "It is what it is." as I've become fond of saying. ;)
  12. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:
    Is there a way to like REALLY like a post like this. Man .. you're speaking my language. Brilliant. Simple, but brilliant approach.
    windblown101 likes this.
  13. windblown101

Oddometer:
    I like simple. :)

True story and then I'll stop crapping in this thread: I was at a track outside of Pittsburgh PA for a track day several years ago. I had ridden this particular track about 4 times previously and I had exceedingly consistent lap times on it my last 2 visits, but I had hit a wall and could not make any further improvements. An older ex-racer stopped by my pit and I mentioned my frustration at not being able to find any more speed. He sat down and talked to me for 30 minutes about nothing but "vision". When I came back in from my next session I was blown away to discover I had dropped an avg of 3 seconds off per lap (and it was a short track). That was HUGE! What blew me away is I didn't feel like I had been rolling any faster. The difference in my focal points had slowed everything way down. I still remember that conversation with him like it was yesterday.
    Wildroamer and TrailTrauma like this.
  14. Trollspeed

Trollspeed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Remedied this by electrical taping the wide, top tabs that sit in the slots on the frosted headlight surrounds that were allowing light through like a projector and causing the glow behind the dash. The picture is before for reference.

Attached Files:

15. mattmor

mattmor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Can you show exactly where you taped and by chance do you have a pic of the difference?

Appreciate your help.
  16. TrailTrauma

Oddometer:

Thanks for that photo. Gives me a better appreciation for what you guys are dealing with.
  17. Trollspeed

Trollspeed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Here is after. If you follow the light emitting up from the led strip you'll see where it passes through to tape off. I did the sides too where the slots on the headlight mask were also letting a lot of light through. Hope that helps.

Attached Files:

18. mattmor

mattmor Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Thank you! That's a huge difference.
    TrailTrauma likes this.