Rally Navigator - Create Rally Roadbooks with Google Earth and GPS

Discussion in 'Racing' started by RenoMoto, Dec 29, 2012.

1. LordMorgan

LordMorgan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok I'm kinda shooting in the dark here because I've never actually navigated with a roadbook before so i dont know how often I'll be changing the odo, but i decided to order this:

DolTech Earbuds https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3QIDJS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_e0cODbZ6JT1PH

The cord is long enough to run it to the center of my handlebars and then out to the left grip where I can ziptie/ductape it down and I'll just cut off the earbuds and excess wire. This way i wont have to worry about its battery life or loosing sync or not registering button presses. Editing the odometer might get complicated with double or triple clicks, but it can be done, and I have touchscreen capable gloves so i could just reach up and touch the nav (an old cell phone) if its really necessary. Also it was $10 :brow

How often do you guys adjust your odo?
  2. MasterMarine

MasterMarine Long timer

Oddometer:
    It depends on how many times I get lost or make a mistake. Pretty often for me. :doh Hopefully not at every tulip.

You are going to want those buttons to work properly so make sure whatever you rig up is robust. And you will want to be able to reach those buttons easily and instinctively as you will be pressing them a lot. There are not many opportunities to ride roadbooks around here and all of them are expensive (even the unofficial ones since you have to travel long distances to get to them and take time away from your family and job). You will want to be riding the roadbook, not figuring out how to fix it.
    LordMorgan likes this.
  3. desabrir

desabrir Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I tried to create a roadbook from the GPX file for the Smokey Mountain 500 v7 and Rally maps only shows the tellico to suches leg. I can view the entire track on my other GPS devices.

Attached Files:

4. DaveRMS

DaveRMS Long timer

Oddometer:
    IIRC (and I could be very wrong), RN only imports the first track in the file. You probably have to combine the tracks into one.

Dave
  5. desabrir

desabrir Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You're right. I had to separate the tracks and then load each one making 3 different maps.

I wonder if it's possible to force open all the tracks.
  6. LordMorgan

LordMorgan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just wanted to follow up, I can verify this device works with rally navigator and it looks like it'll do a good job too. I'll probably end up wrapping it in plastic so it doesn't get dust under the buttons. It comes with a handlebar mount and a lanyard so it won't just fall off somewhere on the trail. I'm going to use it on the noobs rally at the end of the month, I'll report back on how well it did or didn't work

Bluetooth Audio Adapter, DDSKY Car Bluetooth Media Button Audio Steering Wheel Remote Control, Music Audio Adapter Controller Switch for iOS Android Devices https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07NXQZNRS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_S25RDbF7HZ119
    RenoMoto likes this.
  7. RenoMoto

RenoMoto Rally Navigator Supporter

Oddometer:

Hi:

Another option would be to load all three tracks separately in rally navigator and then use the track join tool to connect them into a single track.
  8. RenoMoto

Oddometer:
    Hi Team:

We have added Time Speed Distance functionality to Navigator

This new feature will calculate and display Time in relation to distance and speed in Roadbook and downloaded Excel file.
    • Users must add SPEED icons to Roadbook to establish Speed Targets
    • Users CAN add TSD Time Icon (Located in Cross Country, Road Rally and Speed Tabs) to Waypoints in Roadbook to display the Target Time to that Waypoint.
    • Most TSD Rallies don't show Time info in Roadbook, but a user can add TIME to selected WP to give participants guidance on target times or to create a practice TSD roadbook with times included.
    TSD Editor.png

When printing the Roadbook, an Excel file can be downloaded with TSD info: Waypoint numbers, LAT LON, Segment and Total Distance, Speeds, Segment and Total Times. An organizer can use this data to create scoring formulas etc. I will continue to add functionality to the Excel file in the near future (Time Control Worksheets, Scoring Calculation, Etc.)

Downloads:

TSD Download.png

TSD Demo.png

Please share questions or feedback.

Mike

Attached Files:

JDavids and GalacticGS like this.
  9. Diogo Couto

Diogo Couto n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

Is there a way to import roadbooks in pdf format into the roadbook navigator reader app? I’m planning to do some tests with this app and I’m probably only able to get the roadbooks in pdf format. If it is not possible, is it being planned for a future release?
  10. RenoMoto

Oddometer:
    Hello - The Roadbook reader app only imports roadbooks directly from Rally Navigator. You cannot import a separate PDF.

I suggest RallyBlitz. You can import a PDF and they have done a very nice job on their app.

Any other questions or feedback?

Mike
  11. Diogo Couto

Diogo Couto n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your feedback Mike! I didn't explore your app yet, but I will do it soon. I will then create myself a Roadbook on the Rally Navigator.

I'm trying to create a lowcost way to navigate with Roadbooks. My idea is to have an android tablet 7" or 8" with a waterproof case. I'm looking to the android tablets as we can find them very cheap. I believe that the RallyBlitz doesn't have an Android app.

I'm also planning to use a cheap BT remote control and if it works invest on more reliable solution.

Thanks and regards,
    Diogo
  12. rojomurp

rojomurp n00b

Oddometer:
    I've been experimenting with Rally Nav to create relatively short, simple roadbooks for the areas I ride in New Mexico. The roadbook creator, recorder, and reader all work great and are easy to use. I think Rally Nav is an excellent way to learn the concept of roadbook navigation and to practice navigating while riding. I use an iPad mini 2 on my bike to run the recorder and reader apps.
    I intend to create longer roadbooks and have been looking for information or rules that govern route creation for crosscountry rally courses. For instance, do sections of the course ever have 2-way traffic? Can a course ever cross itself? Does every intersecting trail or road have to be marked? Are there strict definitions for what constitutes a level !, !!, or !!! danger.
    Some crosscountry roadbook specifications can be found in the FIA and FIM regulations.
    I'd appreciate additional sources of information Rally Nav users might have. Thanks!
  13. HogWild

HogWild Scott Whitney

Oddometer:
    In a real rally race that would be a no-no. For a fun or training route, it's not uncommon to run the route to some dead-end point that has particular "fun" value, then come back out. In a case like this, you definitely need to make it clear in the roadbook that there is 2-way traffic. "Crossing" can be somewhat more sketchy, but if you put a "! ! ! STOP ! ! !, Watch for cross traffic" in the roadbook, you might be ok.

Do not mark ALL intersections. The general rule of rally navigation is to keep doing whatever you're doing unless the roadbook tells you do do otherwise. So, if there is a road that crosses the road you're on, you should stay on the road you're already on unless the roadbook tells you to turn off that road. Don't mark that intersection in the roadbook UNLESS it's a dangerous intersection where you might expect cross traffic or there is something there that the the rider needs to know. If it's not obvious which road at an intersection you should "stay on", such as a Y intersection, then you need to put it in the roadbook. Another possible exception is if you've been on a road for a LONG time, and you want to be sure the rider knows he's still on the correct road, you might throw in one or two of those unimportant intersections so the rider has a landmark in the roadbook to ease their mind that they are still on track.

No. But, in general a ! is often a car issue where a moto could probably ignore it. A !! is something semi-dangerous where a moto needs to be aware and likely slow down and watch out. A !!! is a place you could die if you don't slow down and be very cautious.

Go do some fun or training roadbook rides that others have made. You will find a wide variation in the style and quality from each roadbook maker, and you will learn a ton by experiencing it first hand.
    RenoMoto and JDavids like this.
  14. RenoMoto

Oddometer:

Thanks Scott!
  15. OLGOLF

OLGOLF n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi there, I recorded a roadbook through the App Recorder . I can see it , and restart recording on the App. But the roadbook doesn't appear on my desktop?? What is my mistake?
  16. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    RN hangs up and shows an auto save error.

Running latest version of Chrome on windows.

Cleared cache'...still hanging up.
  17. gagnaou

gagnaou Long timer

Oddometer:
    so you are the one breaking the system so that I cannot get mine printed ;-)
    Yellow Pig likes this.
  18. gagnaou

gagnaou Long timer

Oddometer:
    BTW I love the auto-colloring :-)
  19. OLGOLF

OLGOLF n00b

Oddometer:
    I have a successful "roadbook saved" on the app when I stop and save the recording, but no change on "my roadbooks" on my desktop ( Chrome -MacOs)??
  20. RenoMoto

Oddometer:
    Hi folks - We are updating our database and ran into a snag Friday afternoon.

Give us 24 hours to have it up and running.

Sorry for the headache.

We are working on updates to Navigator to eliminate this source of trouble. Will share more info soon.

thanks,
    Mike
    Yellow Pig and gagnaou like this.