Rally Raid Ontario

Discussion in 'Canada' started by skibum69, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Laros

Laros Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Shit, Doughy, I really hope all is okay with your dad soon. It sucks that he is in that condition, and it sucks that you can't do the Rally Raid, after all the prep work you did. But you are definately making the right choice about where you need to be.

I can't make it either...company coming from the states this weekend...my wife is pretty understanding about me taking off for weekend rides (and I have had my share already this summer) but I know better than to be gone again this weekend.:huh

So, have a GREAT weekend everyone - looking forward to the pics!:freaky

Larry
  2. EduardoMas

EduardoMas Spartan Overlander

Oddometer:
    Doughy: May your dad pull through and recover nicely out of the ICU !!!!

Well, the XR lives again as of 2:50am; too loud to fire up tonight but if all goes according to planl, it should fire up tomorrow to ride to work and sneak out at about 3pm to my first ADVrider ride.

Doughy if you want to send tracks to me, .gdb works best .gpx works sometimes. I will more than likely do the technical route. I have a Garmin

My email is

scivac AAATTT? interlog DOT com

criptic, I know

best wishes,
    Eduardo.

3. Bob Cayjun

Bob Cayjun Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Beav & I plan to leave Pickering round 10 am this morning. Anybody goin our way?
  4. Ooobah-Moto

Ooobah-Moto Banned

Oddometer:
    Well, I rebuilt my clutch last night + made some other adjustments... got to bed at 1am... barely woke up at 5am for work....

Can't wait to see everyone tonight.

Safe travels.
  5. Natnewt

Natnewt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You and Dave still meeting at ! at princess gate? I still wanna swing by to see y'all off good excuse to ditch work early and go for a short ride
  6. drcool

drcool R.I.P. Dave

Oddometer:
    I'm madly shredding paperwork and intend to be there at 1. I did hear on the new this AM that something is going on with traffic BS because of Indy teardown. If anyone has any info give a shout out.

RallyRaid YFF's
    drcool
  7. Ooobah-Moto

Ooobah-Moto Banned

Oddometer:
    Yes... I believe so. ~1pm

P.S. I have to re-rebuild my clutch before I leave my place - should only take ~38min. Fubar on one small detail upon rebuilding last night. No biggie.
  8. Ooobah-Moto

Ooobah-Moto Banned

Oddometer:
    Natnewt,

I just spoke to Dave on the phone, small change of plan. If I'm not at the Gates by 1pm, follow him to my place (just around the corner)... in which case, I'm still working on the bike (....likely to see me :baldy:pep:ruskie).
  9. Drif10

Drif10 Accredited Jackass

Oddometer:
    Allow me to pre-empt with:

:razor
  10. Ooobah-Moto

Ooobah-Moto Banned

Oddometer:
    ya.... I installed one of the clutch pressure plates backwards..... still runs great but I want to flip it around before I put a lot of miles on it this weekend.
  11. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    ffffixeded:D

[​IMG]

DW
  12. ArthDuro

ArthDuro quarantined

Oddometer:
    dang Doughy, best wishes to DoughyDad. Hope he gets better real fast.

to the rest Happy Rallying, roost someone for me!
  13. Drif10

Oddometer:
    Just came from the DLR. Mosquitoes are out in force, everyone's having a good time. Met some nice folks, along with the usual suspects.

Uber's riding on them special italian racing tires, the Baldinis. Bet he'll be fun to watch. :lol3
  14. shipwrek12001

shipwrek12001 Shipwrek

Oddometer:
    So the Rally raid for me started back last Wednesday. Questioning if I should truck the bike or not. Actually last Febuary when the ride was posted on the internet but didn't do much about it till now.

I don't know what the turn out was as I never made. But it wasn't for the lack of trying. So the ride starts....

Well Pete convinced me to ride out to the event. Ok but I need a new tire because the one I had, I felt before the end of the weekend it would be toast and if it was raining. Well you guys will tell me all about the rain. So off we go to get daddy a new shoe, Mt 21. Nothing like new tires..

[​IMG]

So hot and muggy I pry that sucker on, remount the tire. go over the bike in general, ok good to go. So you think...

Ok now the gear, anyone play hide and seek, but that is for Thursday after work. So after work is here, finishing a bit late, then going to a friends for a bit. That put me home at 10pm. Piles of phone messages and piles of email. Not packed.. Going late Friday is looking better all the time. Oh well,, I said I would,,, so pack it up. So I did. 1:30am before I was finished, packing emailing, Phone calls, gps'ing .. I think I'm ready. Ok get to bed.. 630am the clock goes off and I drag my ass out of bed. Dam no coffee. Oh well move on, Couple more emails, couple more calls, find all my riding clothes, suit up. Dam boots are still wet from last week. oh well suck it up and put them on.. Have to ride with proper boots... right Phil!!!

[​IMG]

Ok off to Pete's, leaving 8am, for arrival 845, Oh wait the gps. grab it mount it, turn it on... It tells me I,m plugged into the wrong USB port.... WTF.. Take it off reinstall it, boot it up.now it comes up with the service operating system. ok maybe bad connection, Yep, one of the pins are corroded, no problem run to the garage , grab a soft brush to clean it. Clean it, WTF one of the connection pins broken off. gone into the grass. didn't even see it go. oh well I'll follow, I know my way around,. were good, I have 4 hrs as a hand held unit. Dam.....

[​IMG]
    oh well get going. one wrong turn on the way to Pete,s house. Dam gps...

Pete is sort of ready, he;s loaded anyhow. pretty shiny too.

[​IMG]
    Get to Almont met Ted for the first time. After piles of emails backing in to the winter. Good to meet you Ted!! And Ron, all I can say it was not me running late. LOL
    No problem we only sat 10 min or so..

[​IMG]

Ok everyone saddle up and we off to RALLY RAID 2009!! Forecast is rain, sun and more more rain. Should be real soggy.

[​IMG]
    Well probably not more than 1/2hr to an hour into it. My bike makes a strange whining noise but only under power. Oh-oh that can't be good. Well stop at the end of the trail a hundred or so feet. Get off and give it a check. Oh-oh there is oil pouring out of the engine sprocket area of the motor. Sh#t-sh#t dam dam.. What ever it is it is not good. My ride is over.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Get a hold of a close friend/girlfriend, (that's in another ride report!! LOL) Thank god cell service was working there. Giving her heads up, Telling her I'll need the truck and could she bring it up to me to save my ass. No Problem she was there for me but it was going to take time. She is in Ottawa, the truck is in Metcalfe. And I'm well just not that sure where I am at the moment. Ron and Ted knew where we were, that's good. Not even 5 min to the 511, so dumped the 1 liter of oil I had on board into the motor and said lets get going before I have no oil left. Just as we get to the 511 the bike is starting to rattle and ping. I can say it did that for less than 30 seconds. So I hope it is ok.

[​IMG]
    So here we are, so call the rescuer, OH-OH no cell service. Dam.. Well Ted offers me to Ride his new to Him KTM990 to cell service. So while trying to keep my ears from grabbing my lips to make a huge smile. I say ok, inside its , oh ya we get to ride a real bike, doing a little dance in my head I think I kept my composer. The other little person on my shoulder was telling me to be real fucken careful, my day already filled with bad luck. Best not bring Ted into my unlucky world. Ok off I go with his bike and all his gear. Unbelievable balance this bike had almost fully loaded. No I didn't open it up, as I would listen to the good angel on my shoulder. But I tell you, the bad angel was screaming at me in my ear , come on giv-her. just a little, it will be fun, come on............... NO ! This day has gone to shit and I'll be Dammed if it would go that way for anyone else if it was my fault.

Got a hold of my rescuer, She found where I was on maps, and she headed off to Metcalfe to get my truck. It was going to be at least 3hrs before I see her. So reluctantly I give the bike back to Ted. Still holding that smile back, but I think it broke lose now and again. Told them I was good and sent the rest of the boys on there way to RALLY RAID 2009.

Well I'm standing in the sun dressed in heavy black gear thinking I going to need some shelter from the sun and possibly the rain which it did not show.. THANK GOD.

Now I'm running on about 3-4 hrs sleep and my day so shitty, I'm bagged, So I grab my ground cushion, helmet, chair, jacket, head across the street and hunker down under a spruce tree. Which turn out to be a nice rock clearing. Out of the sun, fold up the jacket for a pillow and off I went, but couldn't do much more than a 2 min sleep at a time, which made it more restless. Ok getup and entertain my self. Being disappointed about this was the only camping weekend so far for this year. I started to look on the bright side. Hey I'm outdoors, I'm sleeping out doors. I think we should have a camp fire. Soooo. being too tired and lazy I didn't get off my ass to set this up. I just grabbed what I could and built me a 2min camp fire. And hey after being there I had at least 6 camp fires. Take note on how big this really was.

[​IMG]
    Ok that made everything ok and I can finally relax. My weekend was complete. A little dirt biking with friends, a little sleeping outdoors. Beautiful weather. I just thought the weekend was suppose to be so much bigger, including the fire.

[​IMG]
    This will make it feel bigger..

[​IMG]

Poof I was out, probably slept for about an hour, to wake up to a stressed out girl honking a horn from a red truck... Hey that's my ride! But why is she so stressed...

[​IMG]
    Well when she pulled up to the bike she couldn't see me, I was about a hundred yards away. And her cell was not working at all. She is thinking where the hell did I go. Now what is she going to do, she is thinking...Thank god I woke up and reveled myself to her. She walks over to me crying. What's going on..? She thought she lost me and the trailer got a flat.... Yes the trailer got a flat and she had to dump the trailer about 15 min down the road. SON-OF-B....!

Sooo. I load all my lose stuff into the truck and off we go to the trailer. Upon arriving at the trailer, the tire is ripped right off the rim. She couldn't feel the little trailer behind the truck. Ok, we stop at most garages between where we were and Perth. Nothing so we got into every Canadians favorite store....

[​IMG]
    Go in find everything we need and more, of course. and head back to the trailer.

[​IMG]
    Trailer tires on sale this week at CTC.. 2 tires and a 4 way tire iron as I have nothing to change that tire with. Now we have a spare and tools.
    Get back to the trailer and change it out.

[​IMG]
    Thank the person, that we left him to baby-sit the trailer, ok off to the bike. hope it is still there. He also assured us because the bike was broken it would still be there. Dam, it was still there. I think the insurance still would of been easier than what I have to fix on the bike.
    Load it up!!

[​IMG]
    The last of the engine blood........

[​IMG]
    So we got home about 7 pm from a fully eventful day, no body got hurt, all is well. In bed by 9 pm. Slept right through till 8 am, waking to a crack of thunder and the down pour of rain.

[​IMG]

Immediately started thinking of you puckers still out riding today. Today I don't miss it. I will when you all get back and tell me your tales.

Thanks to everyone, especially my rescuer Naiomi for picking up my sorry ass on the side of the highway...
    It will be a day to remeber. So I wrote about it.

Moral of the story.. Its better to have your chain too lose than to have it just right for one person riding, when loading it up with eveything including the kitchen sink....Dam..!

[​IMG]

It was truely an interesting day....

Thanks
    Sean
  15. minidisco

minidisco When are we going?

Oddometer:
    Just got back home after a few hours out on the trails today. It was an eventful 22hrs - I guess the anticipation of doing this for the first time on my 12GS got the better of me.

First I want to thank the person who suggested the Heritage Trail: took it from Glen Ross almost into Madoc (stopped at Hwy.7) with a grin from ear to ear. I learned a bunch of things really fast:

1. don't attempt unknown trails alone
    2. don't EVER attempt trail riding alone, when doing it for the first time
    3. when encountering deep soft gravel, gripping front brake doesn't help
    4. when encountering water wells deeper than the front tire, lean on the gas
    5. cursing out-loud in a full-face helmet can be louder than imagined
    6. gripping handlebar till knuckles turn white = palm blisters later

Made it to camp well after sunset, and picked a very flat but very bad spot for the tent: as it turns out, the entire field's runoff gathered on my flat tent site, and inevitably inside my tent. I woke up at 12:55am with both feet ANKLE DEEP in water inside the tent, everything soaked through. Not 10min later, I hear that CRUNCH that all motorcyclists dread: my bike, on the centre stand, fell over due to the pond that accumulated under it.

Got out at 1:05am in the pouring rain, wearing wet clothes, out of a soaking sleeping bag, bare foot, lifting the bike out of a mud hole right next to my tent... and being eaten alive by the biggest mosquitoes I've ever seen. Got back inside the tent at 1:25am (that's how long it took me to lift that slippery sucker... and lost some good amount of fuel while at it), stinking and soaked, back in the pond in which the rest of my belongings were floating. I killed a few more bugs, then proceeded to evacuate the water using a T-shirt and a pair of underwear as soaking rags.

By 3am I was horizontal again. Gave up on pumping water out of the tent, laid down in my soaked duds and passed out for a few minutes... and then leapt up to the sound of thunder overhead. Rain started again, this was not going to be a pleasant morning!

At around 6:30am I heard voices outside so I decided to back-stroke my way out of my pool and onto soggy grass. Emptied contents of tent onto the mini picnic bench, and then - to the cheers of 3 spectators - poured the water out of my tent by flipping it upside down.

SIDEBAR: thanks to Chris Drake for awesome wine, great conversation, and fantastic tips and laughs. Also thanks to [Tim?] with the hat and the V-Strom, for lifting my spirits... I guess I should have come to breakfast just for the company...

Finally, by 8:30am I managed to get attached to a group of 6 very patient riders who took me in their midst and put up with 4hrs of my slow pace and mutterings inside my helmet. I am very thankful to all 6 of you - and I apologise for not remembering a single name: guy from Orangeville, guy from Acton (bringing up the rear), guy from Oakville, great guy in the lead, who waited at every intersection and crossing; big guy on orange KTM, and the guy from Guelph who said "I am a follower, not a leader, I'll go wherever the group goes" and then bulleted up front like the best of them!

I parted ways when we got to Tweed, and then on the way home I had to pull over at one of the rest stops because I was literally falling asleep: swaying across my lane (good thing there was no traffic at all), across the white lines, slowing and speeding erratically. Got home at 3pm, put everything outside to dry, laundry in the machine, and now... time to reflect on what I've learned.

1. I know that my 12GS can handle all the terrain
    2. I know I also can handle the terrain, if I take my time
    3. I know that muddy holes are more slick than loose gravel holes
    4. I learned not to ride the section between the 2 tracks
    5. when I see branches at head level, ignore them, watch the road!
    6. in tight turns, stick out a foot and only use rear brake
    7. most turns are tight turns....
  16. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    Wow, a couple of great stories so far, and I'm missing all the fun :cry I can't wait to hear more tales of bravery and missadventure once the gang gets back to their computers.
  17. doughy

doughy Less excitable then I used to be

Oddometer:
    AWESOME.. Even though Im missing out, I am still glad it's an adventure. That's what it's all about. Having a hard ass time and smiling cause you conquered everything. :clap

Wish I was there to help. I'm glad you liked the "heritage trail" it's a fun time. I'm going to hit it again again this summer.

I know it didn't all turn out the way it was planned but. It's an adventure.

Sorry I missed out guys. I hope though everyone enjoys regardless of tribulations. It really sux to put an event together and then not even be able to make it. :cry I'm living through all you guys.
  18. Drif10

Oddometer:
    Just back from the DLR again.

A DRZ rider will be shopping for a new brake lever Monday.

An SE rider has now properly broken in his new bike.

A GS rider has some welding to do on his beak.

A 950 rider has a perpetual fuel leak.

A DR rider his medicating heavily with wine, beer, hard liquor, and Advil for a slight knee issue.

And they have to be the quietest bunch of little campers I've ever seen. Sipping their wines, eating smores, and having a good time. :D
  19. Captain Quest

Captain Quest Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Sean

Great report!

Details,photos,ramblings...

Sorry we missed you at the Rally

I kept Pete entertained.

Returned home to Montreal after the days ride.

(Randy 2005 KLR, black IMS tank)
  20. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:
    Here's my version

The annual father and son golf weekend gets cancelled due to weather on Thursday, yehha I can go bike riding! An email floats around our group in Ottawa with an invite to drive over to Desert Lake leaving Friday morning takes trails and hydro lines. A quick look at the weather channel shows Friday's weather looking good and the weekend not so good.

Well boss not feeling so well................I reply that I am in for the ride up!

Meet up with three guys I have never met before, Pete, Ron and Sean it was good to meet you guys, look forward to more rides in the future together.

An absolutly great route up there Ron! A few trails I know and a few new ones.

We lose Sean after about an hour to a mechanical failure(bummer).

Keeping up with a pair of 250's on my 950 equals sore shoulders, thighs and hands.

Mostly double track trails, some overgrown, tough deal on the big bike with panniers, nothing like trying to ride the hump between ruts at speed for many kms. A few hydro lines, the Triple Tower Road hydro line in particular has an interesting uphill rock garden, dancing the big bike takes some commitment for sure, first time the 950 really felt like a goldwing for me.

Some great rally updowntwisty gravel to the resort finishes the ride.

Set up the tents before it rains and drink a few pints and shoot the shit with some folks, it was good to meet everyone, a colourfull bunch indeed.

I wake up to a crash and was that the sound of my cooler slash bike (panniers became a travelling cooler for beer). Yep, so I can see my bike on its side just outside my tent. After trying to ignore it for a while I get out there in my boxers in the pouring rain and struggle it back upright. A sight to be seen, my in the pouring rain in my boxers slipping and sliding trying to get a 500 lb bike back up (oh ya I am no underwear model by a long shot).

A good breaky in the AM then sadly I had to bail as I had family duties to perform back home. Damn are those hillytwisty roads around there fun!! Saw a bike down in Westport, hope you were okay, you looked like you were holding your ankle-knee.

A great trip for me, thanks to those who spent the time and energy to set it up!! An annual event maybe?