1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Rally Raid Ontario

Discussion in 'Canada' started by skibum69, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Pig-Pen

Pig-Pen (Formerly KTMike)

Oddometer:
    Doughy...It was really too bad you couldn't be there and you were certainly missed. Both you and Dragan each contributed a lot to help make RallyRaid the success it was. Thanks to both of you!:freaky

You both better be there for the next one or we will find you...:evil

As for the Fall Colour Tour...ya, lets definitely add some more dirt to the route...and some colour wouldn't hurt either....Mother Nature, are you listening here??? October 3rd & 4th!!!
  2. Nerfin

Nerfin An Adventure thats Knarly

Oddometer:
    What a great weekend of riding. Great job of organizing routes/ride to Ooobah and Doughy (sorry you couldn't make it). Rode with some old friends and made a bunch of new ones! The pics I took don't compare to the excellent ones that were posted already....however...we stopped in Haydon for some gas and happened to barge in on their Hay-day event. Our bikes attracted a lot of attention at the local gas station. I do have one pic to share (sorry about the poor quality)..Check out the tractor pulling the hay wagon - had a big V8 with straight pipes, the noise drowned out the Steve Earl cover band singing "Copper Head Road", must've been quite the hay ride....Also had one of the best roast beef sandwiches ever in Haydon. Always an adventure. Can't wait for the fall colours ride!

Cheers,
    Nev

Attached Files:

3. smilin'Ed

smilin'Ed Ed

Oddometer:
    crap, crap, crap, crap, crap

was washing bike last night and stopped to talk to neighbour. Crash!! The sidestand sank in the grass and the left aluminum mirror mount socket shattered.

At least bike is now balanced with minor damage to both sides.

"I'm not sure what I'm doing, but I sure like doing it"
  4. craigq

craigq Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Pete told me about this rally, he said it would be good, it looks like you guys had a great time! Thanks for all of the pictures and write-ups :thumb
  5. Motojournalism

Motojournalism motojournalism.com

Oddometer:
  6. drcool

drcool R.I.P. Dave

Oddometer:
  7. doughy

doughy Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. smilin'Ed

smilin'Ed Ed

Oddometer:
    Hey Antontrax,

- thats 6200 in front of the Science Museum. I'm one of the engineers who drive the 1920's Shay Steam Locomotive for them in July and August. Too bad we weren't operating the day you went through.

I like the urban archeaology shots too, makes you wonder what the story behind it is.

DRCOOL - whats your locomotive connection?

E
  9. kahoon

kahoon who's yer daddy??

Oddometer:
    do you have anything to do with the train that runs through Wakefield?
  10. drcool

drcool R.I.P. Dave

Oddometer:
    My Grandfather among other things was a Model Engineer. We built scale Loco's that were every bit as real as the metal monsters. Coal fired steam engines that ran on a scaled down rail system. Most of the collection was English but we has 1 monster American engine. If memory serves "The Niagara" ran from New York city to Buffalo pre WW2. The scale version was built by another engineer a few years after the war and we restored it over the course of 10 years. It now resides in a museum in the US. If you know any Loco lore it was a big one in the 4-8-4 class. Likely similar in size to the pics.

The only model line I know of is close to here at the Hamilton Steam museum. I've been meaning to take jr to see the steam but haven't made it yet.

ChooChoo
    drcool
  11. Pig-Pen

Pig-Pen (Formerly KTMike)

Oddometer:
    Hey, all this talk of locomotives has me thinking back to when I was a kid. My uncle was an engineer for the German railway. In the early 70's they were phasing out the last of the active locomotives and I had the opportunity to go out in one for a trip...got to drive it (or so they told me...pull, this, push that, blow the whistle, shovel coal) What a blast! It looked very similar top this one...

[​IMG]

Before Rally Raid I was in Wakefield for a night and saw the Steam Train that pulls in there daily during the summer. There's something really cool about watching them and no matter how old I get, I'm drawn to them like a kid to a candy store.

Wakefield last Friday...

[​IMG]
  12. smilin'Ed

smilin'Ed Ed

Oddometer:
    This is getting away from the ride thing a bit but,

There is a model steam railway east of Ottawa at the Cumberland Heritage Museum site, several different scales and usually 1/2 dozen engines operating on any show day they have.

If you're in Ottawa some Sunday this JUly or Aug, give me a ring and we'll get jr a cab ride in the Shay. Its short but interesting if you're into steam.

I was asked if I was interested in the wakefield run but the time committment doesn't fit well with being self employed. On Aug 15 a group of us will be running to Wakefield along that rail line on speeders, those little single cylinder self propelled two man cart like things. We get to run up behind the regular train, I don't know how many in total but should be a fun day.

Hey, Its another small motorized vehicle that can go too fast for its ability to do so safely.

Ed
  13. Ooobah-Moto

Ooobah-Moto Banned

Oddometer:
    A bunch more pics and videos from the event have been posted HERE from our new friends at RidAdventure. Looks like they found the technical route....:augie

<object width="425" height="344">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uqhk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></object>
  14. drcool

drcool R.I.P. Dave

Oddometer:
    I can't say I'm sad to have avoided those water crossings. I just finished fixing my German friend and I'm jonesing to ride. The subframe wasn't tough to fix but man oh man was it tough to get it out of there. It only took a few hours total but I learned some more about the Flying Pyg.

no more broken beak
    drcool
  15. doughy

doughy Long timer

Oddometer:
    It looks like they might of found the "SS MINNOW" Trail. :lol3

COOOOOOL
  16. rinho

rinho Rinho FĂ©roce

Oddometer:
    back in France but Soul still in North America
    From my house, I can ear this train through the hills, when it arrive at Wakefield :evil
  17. ststrider

ststrider some guy on a bike

Oddometer:
    that water crossing is on the sulphide road just after turns back to the rail bed.it has been impassable for years but not for the crew we had. if you say on the road bed it gets worse at a bridge made from an old truck frame,but it was getting late and everyone wanted to be back for dinner.if you are in the area be sure to check out the east end of sulphide road.
  18. kahoon

kahoon who's yer daddy??

Oddometer:
    you live in paradise my friend :thumb but not in winter :puke1 :D
  19. MudSling

MudSling Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad you fixed the frame. I definitely learned how not cross water with the GS. :D Slow and steady wins the race! I've put a snorkel on now so next time should be easier.
  20. 568V8

568V8 Ontario Vstrommer

Oddometer:
    Thanks KTMike for the pics.
    A great day of riding Saturday for me in perfect weather.