Rally Raid Products BMW G310R / G310GS

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by ktmmitch, May 25, 2017.

1. ovlaicu

ovlaicu Noob

Oddometer:
    Yes. Sorry. Just the 17mm
    cujof16 likes this.
  2. cujof16

cujof16 Cujo

Oddometer:
    Got it set.

Another RRP question on the instructions for the L1 shock. It says to "Insert new Tractive shock into top mount, make sure the adjuster at the top is facing to the left" but the only adjuster is the rebound and it is on the bottom and makes sense to point to the right of the bike for access-- unless they mean the "preload" which is a circle and points in all directions. It is a little confusing. Can anyone at the home office clarify which adjuster needs to point left?

Thanks

Bryan
  3. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    The Level 1 Tractive shock is fitted "upside down" in the fact the rebound adjuster is at the top, with the preload ring at the bottom
    cujof16 likes this.
  4. cujof16

cujof16 Cujo

Oddometer:
    So the arrow that points to the top with the word top goes down when installed. Is that correct? Preload ring near road, rebound adjustment pointed left nearest seat?
  5. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Hi Cujof16 - you can actually mount the LEVEL 1 shock either way up if you wish, but for consistency Rally-Raid suggest you fit it with the body at the bottom (ie. 'upside down' compared to the majority of OEM shock installations) as you have to do this with the LEVEL 2 shock with the reservoir, and in either case if you also want to fit the hydraulic preload adjuster...

Similarly, if you've fitted a LEVEL 2 shock - the reservoir is on the right side (at the bottom) meaning the top [rebound damping] adjuster is point left, so the LEVEL 1 instructions keep that continuity too - however, again in practice the LEVEL 1 shock can be fitted with the combination damping adjuster pointing left or right if desired, as you can access it from behind either side panel as required.

Jx

ps. I trust you are asking these questions in an effort to point out any ambiguity in the current fitting instructions, and I'm sure Rally-Raid will appreciate the comments and make any necessary adjustments to their text. However, all of the fitting and set-up of the LEVEL 1 shock particularly ought to be pretty obvious once the parts are in front of you - so if you are struggling (or indeed anyone else is), I'd suggest you get help from someone who has fitted these sorts of components before. As I always say, the Rally-Raid parts are designed to be DIY fitted by a competent home mechanic - but if any one job is beyond a particular customer's current experience, it is always better to seek professions/experienced help when fitting safety critical/structural components to a motorcycle.
  6. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    A little light reading for this holiday* weekend...

*I'm currently in the US, so it's a holiday here ;o)

I was honoured to be included in the new series of 'Inmate Interviews' here on ADVrider recently: https://advrider.com/jmo-piglet/

Plenty of background in regard to the development of the Rally-Raid CB500X and G310GS projects, plus a little bit of racing too... I trust that helps to quantify what I choose to post and comment on here on ADVrider.

Jx
    No-Fret, Wind_Rider and Bain Dramage like this.
  7. cujof16

cujof16 Cujo

Oddometer:
    Jx,

Totally appreciate the reply!

I put it on with the preload up and then re-read the instructions and then put the preload down. Makes it **way** easier to adjust with the ring on bottom. I thought there would be no difference whichever way it was installed and I'm glad you clarified.

One thing for sure, I am gonna need to take some length out of the kickstand. It sits almost straight up when it has -35mm on the shock and fork.

Of note:

DARLA. LOVES. THE. SUSPENSION.

Put about 400 mi on it this week and probably will get a few hundred more this weekend in Tucson.

Rally Raid is bad ass. Keep up the good work.

Cujo
    Fighter Pilot
    Beginning ADV Rider
    Happy Customer
    randypower and JMo (& piglet) like this.
  8. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi cujof16,
    I must apologise and confirm that the LOW Tractive shock for BMW G310GS must be fitted with the rebound adjuster at the bottom, so the arrow on the sticker points upwards.
    This is because it is an emulsion shock, whereas all the other G310GS shocks have a seperation piston, so they can run either way up.
    There will be no damage caused to your low shock running it the "wrong" way up, it is just it will perform better fitted correctly.
    I will get our instructions changed to reflect the differences.
    randypower and JMo (& piglet) like this.
  9. cujof16

cujof16 Cujo

Oddometer:

Thats funny,

I just turned it around a couple of days ago because the shock seemed like it was TOTALLY bouncy like there was no oil and you could hear the air passing thru the orifices...

Checked the bike, no leaks, so I figured it was something with the oil chamber being on top. LOL.

Reversed it--back to normal RRP performance. Any shock sucks when there is no oil in the interface!!!

I was just back to getting on the forums tonight to post about it and viola -- here is the answer.

Thanks.

BTW, puttin in my Rally Raid phase 2 order in about 1 week for the skid plate, trunk plate and radiator guard..

Bryan
  10. cujof16

cujof16 Cujo

Oddometer:

P.S.

In my day job, I am a test engineer....
  11. cujof16

cujof16 Cujo

Oddometer:

ktmmitch,

I would not presume to tell you how to do your job, however I have a recommendation:

"Because the Level 1 Low tractive shock is an emulsion shock, install it in the mounts with the preload adjustment ring at the top of the shock and the rebound adjuster at the bottom facing the ?left? side of the motorcycle."
  12. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    cujof16 likes this.
  13. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    JMo (& piglet) likes this.
  14. cujof16

cujof16 Cujo

Oddometer:
    I know I'm pushing, but any word on timing for the soft bag rack release date? I'm ordering a bunch of stuff and wanted to save on shipping once vs twice ..

Thanks

Bryan
  15. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    We have the first batch coming back from powder coat tomorrow
    cujof16 likes this.
  16. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    We now have the Soft Luggage Racks, for BMW G310GS, on our website ready to order, for delivery end January.
    These are the same design that was tried-and-tested by Amy Harburg on her 27,000km trip from Mongolia to UK this year, fitted with her Wolfman soft luggage and Giant Loop Dry Bag.
    Available in durable powder-coat black finish.

http://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk/bmw-g310gs-g310r/g310gs-soft-luggage-racks
    cujof16 and SilverSurferToo like this.
  17. cujof16

cujof16 Cujo

Oddometer:
    IMG_20181219_113938.jpg IMG_20181219_113222.jpg IMG_20181219_113235.jpg
    Nice Job RRP!!!

Thanks!

DOT OE turn signals a little tight, ordered new Rizoma LED lights a few minutes ago!!

Boom
  18. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    If you're all recovering from Christmas excess and need to sit down for an hour with a cuppa, then here is the podcast from the BMW MOA Rally in Des Moines earlier this year - where I chat to Wes about Wales, the USA, the G310GS, and adventure riding in general...

http://horizon.bmwmoa.org/episode-39-jenny-morgan/

Jenny x

ps. you may want to skip to 12m20s in for the actual interview, as the podcast is full of ads and MOA promo stuff at the beginning...
    cujof16 likes this.
  19. cujof16

cujof16 Cujo

Oddometer:
    To fit RRP soft racks on I had to take DOT signals off. Wanted LEDs anyway.

Rizoma action turn signals, Rizoma adapters for BMW, and Rizoma turn signal cable kit. Easy install, used all the included resistors based on 10w filament bulb to LED..super duper annoying texting drivers bright!!

Klunky looking Wunderlich brake enlarger... I think RRP will have a better looking functioning solution than this...Gonna replace it as soon as Rally Raid puts one out.
    The Wunderlich catches on the RRP bash plate--hopefully RRPs will clear it nicely. I added the pic for RR to reference on "how not to do it" LOL

EDIT:
    I had to re tap the M8x1.25 bolt holes in the rear of the OEM trunk and handgrip rack and the M8 clips that receive the RRP soft luggage rack bolts. The OEM threads were all pretty dirty and stripped one of my bolts. I retapped all 6 fittings to clean them out and now all the bolts go in nice and smooth. I would recommend spinning a tap thru the clips prior to rack install so that the RRP bolts fit nicely. Also the tolerance on the foot peg mounts that the luggage rack attach to have a variance in width between bikes. One side of mine is 1.2 mm different from the other on gap size. Not really a problem and you could fashion a M8 spacer washer to take up the slack if you need to.
    EDIT END

1546114525800.jpeg 1546114554960.jpeg 1546114700858.jpeg
  20. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer: