Rally Raid Products BMW G310R / G310GS

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by ktmmitch, May 25, 2017.

1. ovlaicu

ovlaicu Noob

Oddometer:
    I've been holding off on footpegs and brake pedal enlarger to see what RRP is coming out with. Any idea when the brake pedal will be ready?
    cujof16 likes this.
  2. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
  3. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Early 6AM start in the factory for a few weeks in order to meet demand for billet hubs, ready for our spoked wheel kits for CB500X, G310GS and CRF1000L.
    Also, a lovely big delivery of Tractive Suspension shocks & fork internals for our adventure kits, it's my xmas present to me !!!
    Cup of tea and then set the Haas CNC 4-axis mill to finish the folding shorty levers to fit the BMW G310GS.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  4. cujof16

cujof16 Cujo

Oddometer:
    Oh hell yeah!! Levers!!!!
  5. Chrono_phage

Chrono_phage n00b

Oddometer:
    +1 for levers ! :clap:clap:clap
  6. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    GWNavigator likes this.
  7. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Just picked up my 310GS from the dealer this morning - the new frame with revised side-stand bracket:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jx
  8. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    AUSSIE-AUSSIE-AUSSIE !!!!!

RALLY RAID BMW G 310 GS DOWN TO $7,400!!!! 12 MONTHS REGO
    The long term Rally Raid project bike is up for sale. Only one of two in Australia. Comes with spoked wheels, huge suspension upgrade, bash plate, bar extenders, Renthal Bars, 1x Rotopax, light exhaust, 12 months rego, brand new tyres and a whole heap more. It has 7,350 ks on the clock and was ridden by Adam Mitch in the APC Rally, Amy Harburg in a recent women's Rally and been involved in filming sessions. Recently serviced with a very thorough going over. John Mitchinson and I would prefer the bike to go to someone in the adventure riding community. This is by no means a standard bike and If you're not sure what this bike can do click on this link.

https://youtu.be/cdKY8ko7Kf0.

[​IMG]
  9. Dualsport Chic

Dualsport Chic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Seems several initial testers are giving up their G310s vs keeping them.

Would be interesting to understand why, after all the great mods, they’re giving them up.
    WoodWorks likes this.
  10. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    That is what you do with demo bikes DsC' (especially at this time of year) - you use them for a season, then you move them on before they get too old...

Both John's original bike in Australia (used for the launch event/video), and my bike in the USA (used for 18,000 miles real-world-testing) have served their purpose now, and since neither of us have bottomless pockets, we need to realise at least some of the money back that was spent initially so that it can be utilised for 2019 projects.

Jx
    WoodWorks and randypower like this.
  11. HalfAsleep

HalfAsleep Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @ktmmitch , I am trying to find a video of the Exhaust sound with cat. as I am pretty sure I need that to be approved here in Norway. Do you have such a video? I just want to see if the sound is different with or without the catalytic converter and am not sure if is is mounted or not in your video of the exhaust sound. Thanks a bunch!
  12. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hi HalfAsleep - if you use Facebook there is a video on the Rally-Raid Products page here:

However, I would suggest that a [n online] video is not really a great way to gauge the actual sound level, other than as a comparison - the Scorpion exhaust is E marked for road use, so ought to comply with any regulations Norway has if they follow the EU guidelines.

note. it is worth noting that the Catalytic converter insert does reduce the noise level appreciably - I believe the video on Facebook was without the Cat installed, but ktmmitch should be able to confirm that.

Hope that helps...

Jenny x
  13. HalfAsleep

HalfAsleep Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jenny! That is the video I have seen and I suspect it is without the catalytic converter :) Nothing beats hearing the sound in real life, but at least a video can give me an idea :)

Chris
  14. dejah

dejah Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Having tested both config', I can attest the sound difference is not very noticeable, just a little softer with the cat, and that's what I was looking for.
    SilverSurferToo, cujof16 and Michona like this.
  15. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Our Australian BMW G310GS that Adam rode in the APC Rally last year, with Amy Harburg, has now found a new home with Chris in NSW.
    Although intended as a replacement for his wife's CRF250L, he has bonded with it on a recent trip, so she might not be getting it back !!
    Good luck Chris, and thanks to David & Sonia Darcy for looking after the bike whilst in Sydney.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    cujof16 and SilverSurferToo like this.
  16. Dillo

Dillo Almost Awesome

Oddometer:
    @JMo (& piglet) when installing the low shock is the amount that we lower the bike a 1:1 relationship to how much suspension travel we loose? As in if we drop 20mm we loose 20mm of rear suspension travel? Sometimes things get a bit weird with lowering links but I've never installed a shortened shock before and so don't know what to expect.
  17. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hi Dillo - yes pretty much, if the seat is 20mm lower, then the travel needs to be 20mm less, or else the danger is the engine hits the ground of course...

for info. any linkage ratio is to do with the amount of travel v.s the length of the shock itself - if the shock was mounted vertically, then that would be the same number - ie. 1:1 - but if the shock is canted forward (as it is on a motorcycle) and/or a linkage is used, then the ratio changes from 1:1 to anything up to around 1:3 is typical - ie. if the wheel moves 75mm upwards, the shock stroke itself only moves 25mm.

So in regard to the LOW shock for the GS, the mounting location of the shock in relation to the overall length of the swing-arm means that while the travel/seat height is 20mm lover than standard, the shock itself is not actually 20mm shorter*

*I'm not sure of the actual number, but it's likely to be somewhere between 7-10mm as I recall.

Hope that clarifies things!

Jenny x
    cujof16 likes this.
  18. cujof16

cujof16 Cujo

Oddometer:
    It's like 8mm gives 35mm travel.

Also I had my wife's sidestand shortened by about 21 mm to give a normal kickstand stance. Like the suspension the stand is not a direct reduction from overall height. Also, I only moved the triple clamp up 28 mm because of rake angle. It's math and stuff
    JMo (& piglet) likes this.
  19. cujof16

cujof16 Cujo

Oddometer:
    Side stand shortened... Pic IMG_20190319_135954.jpeg
  20. cujof16

cujof16 Cujo

Oddometer:
    @ktmmitch -- any words on production release of clutch n brake levers? I'm in the market but I'd like to get rrp ones ..

BTW, 3 months in, loving the RRP level 1 shock n fork. Plush and responsive. Thanks a ton.
    Michona likes this.