Rally Raid Products BMW G310R / G310GS

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by ktmmitch, May 25, 2017.

1. Monterey_BS

Monterey_BS On or Off - not sure Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just for reference, I've got ~10mm clearance between the plate and the lever. Personally, I'd recommend the whack method over the grind because you'll probably have to grind quite a bit to get sufficient clearance, but then I've got a lot of big hammers. My guess is a couple of good whacks with a 4lb singlejack will do the trick.
    GWNavigator likes this.
  2. GWNavigator

GWNavigator Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @Monterey_BS I filed it down then touched it up with some paint. That along with some wiggle room gives me now roughly 3-4 mm clearance. All is good now...
  3. BMWzenrider

BMWzenrider The Road Scholar Supporter

Oddometer:
    Unless I missed something, I have not seen a response to this post.
    Would appreciate some feedback on spring rate as well as the internal construction of the standard length level-1 shock.
    Thank you.
  4. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    The level 1,OEM length Tractive shock has a separation piston, so can be fitted either way up, but we prefer to run it "upside down" as this makes access to the damping adjuster easier, or more room for the PA, if fitted.
    For spring rate, I prefer to use the softer spring, then add more preload for luggage etc, then you have the correct spring for most of your riding time.
    BMWzenrider and SilverSurferToo like this.
  5. BMWzenrider

BMWzenrider The Road Scholar Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you.
    I was leaning towards the softer spring as well.
  6. MadVenTur7

MadVenTur7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a little issue that's causing me some confusion. I'm installing the Level 1 Fork kit, and I can't find anywhere (either in the Tractive manual, or the instructions provided on the RR site) about what the three black spacer rings are for, or how they're used/installed. The instructions (http://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk/image/data/PDF/G310GSLV1RTFORKv1.pdf) don't mention them at all, and the manual only covers the rear shock, not the front/fork setup. I have the heaviest spring to install (I'm 240lbs/111kg, plus gear and luggage). I'm hoping to finish the Lvl 1 install on the forks tonight so I can test before the weekend. Apologies if I missed something, but I just can't find anything on how those spacers are used.

Cheers!
  7. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Hi Mad' - those are additional preload rings (to fit between the top of the spring before you screw the preload cap back on).

In most instance those are not necessary, but if you find you've used all the available preload on the adjuster up (approx 10mm) when setting your sag, you can add a ring or two (or all three) to add a little more preload.

Hope that clarifies things...

Jenny x
  8. MadVenTur7

MadVenTur7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jenny, that does clarify things. Just to be sure I fully understand, I install the preload cap, and then install the leg on the bike, reinstall everything else, and see where my sag is. THEN if I need more preload, I remove the leg and just add the appropriate number of spacers under the preload cap (after estimating how much additional preload I need)?

-Mad'
  9. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hi Mad' - yes, that's it - assemble it first [without them] and see how you get on, then if you find you've had to use all the available preload on the adjuster, you will have to pull the internals, unscrew the cap, and fit the spacers on before reinstalling the cap again.

Based on your weight, it might be worth adding just one ring during the initial assembly to save you [quite possibly] having to do it again straight away - but as I say, things like preload are subjective so you may well find if you have the stiffest spring rate fitted already, you'll be fine without the spacers.

note. that adding a preload ring will make it just a tiny bit harder to screw the cap back on again as there is more load on the spring of course.

Jx
  10. MadVenTur7

MadVenTur7 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Big thanks to Jenny x for quick response to my inquiry! I got the Level 1 fork kit all installed last night, will do a test ride this evening to check it out. I can't wait!
  11. thomsva

thomsva n00b

Oddometer:
    Does the level 1 black cap for the left hand fork leg do anything or is it just for looks?
  12. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hi Thomsva - no, it doesn't physically do anything as the internal components on that side are left intact, however it is best to replace the oil in both sides when you upgrade the [main] fork spring in the right hand leg with the preload adjustable cap, so swapping the left cap for a matching one makes sense anyway - if only from a style point of view ;o)

Jenny x
  13. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    A little shameless self-promotion here, but I trust you'll also enjoy what I've got to say and show you if you fancy a weekend in the Sierra Nevada foothills (Mariposa California) at the end of September - where I'll be hosting two presentations at the annual Horizons Unlimited event: http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/events/california-2019

[​IMG]

This is always an excellent and inspirational event, coupled with some awesome on-road and off-road riding right on the doorstep of the venue, just west of Yosemite National Park - hope to see some of you there this year!

ps. As mentioned in the link, the California event sees the debut of part 2 of my video travelling all over North America last year on my Rally-Raid upgraded G310GS — where if you'd been following the ride report from last summer: Beemer Beemer Chicken Deener! I really get to put the bike and myself through the paces!
    cujof16 likes this.
  14. thomsva

thomsva n00b

Oddometer:
    OK, thanks. It makes sense! I was in a bit of a hurry when I did the upgrade so I just installed the spring and replaced the oil in the right side. Left side still to do...
  15. jonasj

jonasj n00b

Oddometer:
    What happened with the new products that was talked about late last year?

- Short folding levers
    - Adjustable rear brake
    - Folding gear lever

Cheers!
  16. Dillo

Dillo Almost Awesome

Oddometer:
    The same thing that happened to the promised adjustable rear brake, folding gear lever, and rally fairing for the CB500X or the 17/17 wheelset for the Africa Twin - they never got around to producing them. The problem is that there are new bikes coming out every year. For something like hubs or skid plates, which RR makes a ton of, it's not a huge deal for them to design a hub for the new thing. But for things like adjustable rear brake levers, which they don't do for any other bike, it takes so long to develop that they never have time to do it. I just wish Jenny would stop promising that RR is working on things that they'll never actually sell.
  17. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually, designing hubs and skid plates is quite a huge deal, especially hubs, in order that the hubs fit correctly, retain OEM mountings for discs and ABS rings etc, it takes a long process, if it was easy there would be lots of other aftermarket companies doing it as well as RR.
    The problem is that we, as RR, are a relatively small company, in a niche market, and we have been under a lot of customer pressure to supply the main components of the adventure kits, such as wheels, suspension, engine guards etc, and although we have done development initially of folding levers, rear brake and shifter, pressure of time has not enabled us to get these into production, it's not a case of we don't want to, we just can't in the foreseeable future.
    Everyone at RR gives maximum effort to bring new products to market, and we all have a passion, and belief, in the bikes we produce parts for, but at the end of the day, it all boils down to man-hours. We don't sub-contract work out to the Far East, or buy in cheaper-sourced products and label them up as made by RR, that is not how we operate.
    I am sorry some products tke longer to come to market/production than we would have liked, but trying to keep lead times to a minimum, and fulfilling customer orders is a priority for us, and Jenny can only go by what she knows from us at RR, and it has lays been our intention to get these parts finished, but things sometimes don't work out as we plan them, so for now, I would say these parts are not for production in the next 6 months, and if things change, then we will announce that on ADV Rider.
    By the way, it's 4-00am here in the UK, and I'm just getting ready to go into work to get the new Haas CNC mill ready, this should ease our production bottlenecks and give us more time back for development, and help any future parts.
  18. Dillo

Dillo Almost Awesome

Oddometer:

I should have worded my comment better. I'm not saying that designing hubs and skid plates isn't a serious undertaking - what I mean is that because wheels and hubs (for example) are such a big part of your business you're already set up for and reasonably well practiced at designing new ones when new models come out. And because you sell lots of them it's a high-value thing to focus your attention on. Whereas something like a footpeg relocation bracket or a new shift lever is something you would be going out of your way to design and build, and you wouldn't sell as much of them.

It's not a question of not trying hard enough or not being good at something - it's a question of saying "I have 6 man-weeks of time this year to devote to new products. I could design hubs for the 5 new bikes that came out this year, and I'll sell as many sets of wheels as I can build, or I could design a new footpeg relocation bracket and shift lever for one bike and then only sell 100 kits." Obviously it makes more sense to focus on the hubs. My gripe is just that RR keeps promising stuff that never gets developed. For example:
    • Footpeg relocation kit for CB500X
    • Folding shifter for CB500X
    • Rally fairing for CB500X
    • Adjustable height brake pedal for G310GS
    • Folding shifter for G310GS
    • "Evo" model of the skid plate for G310GS
    • Bigger footpegs for G310GS
    • Levers for G310GS
    • 17/17 wheelset for Africa Twin
    • Billet top triple for Africa Twin
    It's one thing to say that you're thinking about developing something, or that you're testing a prototype that you aren't sure if you're going to sell or not. It's another thing to say "We're going to make this thing to sell, and here's the sizes/options that it'll be available in".

I like RR's products - my wife's G310 has a bunch of your parts on it, as did my old CB500X. But by now this has happened enough that when I see a statement from RR that you're developing anything other than suspension, wheels, skid plates, or luggage racks I automatically assume that it'll never happen and that I should shop elsewhere.
  19. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hi Dillo - I can appreciate your frustration that certain components [that you would like] are not available yet... but at the same time, I trust you realise that those who work at the Rally-Raid factory (and their associates) are inmates here on ADVrider, and have always engaged with other owners and potential customers by cataloguing [in public] their new developments, not least to help gauge the demand for a certain product - and that ultimately as business owners, their time and resources are precious... As John explains above, when there is an increase in demand for particular products, the priority has to be to ensure those customer orders are satisfied as quickly as possible.

As I trust you are also aware, the development of [new] products is a constant evolution... and priorities are assessed and reassessed every time those bikes are ridden over the many thousands of development miles they (and me, on their behalf) undertake. A pre-production item will always have a 'target' specification drawn up based on calculated principles, but after testing this may well need to be revised - or even ultimately abandoned... as an example, the 17/17" wheels for the Africa Twin you mentioned above - after some extended testing in the UK, John ultimately conceded that the geometry of the Africa Twin did not suit a 17" front wheel after all - and it's telling that no-one else has developed/offered those size wheels for that bike either. Sometimes, stuff doesn't work out the way you hoped after all.

Based on the list you've included above, I would suggest that only the footrest relocation hangers for the CB500X would offer a genuine benefit for a number of longer-legged customers (and in this instance, the original development was delayed [last year] once the 2019 model was announced, in an effort to make sure that any final design will be cross-compatible across all model years) - rather the rest of the items you've listed are 'nice to haves' perhaps, but none are considered essential to how these bikes actually perform in real-world all-terrain travel and adventure riding scenarios...

As I know you are aware, I've personally ridden both the CB500X and the G310GS over many thousands of miles, and never once needed a folding shift lever or adjustable brake pedal for example. Yes I've bent the OEM ones, but they were easy enough to bend back and continue riding, and cost me the grand sum of $0.

Similarly, while an 'evo' version of the G310GS engine guard was mooted originally, again in real world testing, it turns out there is no need to go to the added complexity and expense of having a removable centre section, when you can change the oil easily enough with the standard design - keeping costs down and not crowding the production schedule and capacity of the factory with any additional products.

Ultimately, Rally-Raid have chosen to continue to engage with their customers and potential customers via dedicated [vendor] forum threads like this one, and I trust this format produces a huge amount of useful information and shared experience, together with a unique insight into what it takes to develop what are essentially off-the-shelf bespoke products for a niche market.

Jenny x
    Monterey_BS and Howlinsage like this.
  20. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Just a quick head-up for anyone within striking distance of Mariposa California this weekend - I'll be presenting two seminars at the Horizons Unlimited Travellers meeting - the first is my latest Packing Light show-and-tell/Q&A session, scheduled for Friday morning at 11am. I'll be sharing my experience and suggestions for packing light for a typical extended adventure ride with an off-road and trail bias.

[​IMG]

The second is a science fiction double feature - Part 1 and [the debut of] Part 2 of my huge trip last summer on the G310GS, featuring highlights of some of the best dual-sport and adventure riding in North America - including sections of the Trans-America Trail, the Moab trail network, some of the best Colorado high passes, and sections of the various BDR routes all over the west and north west. A particular highlight is also my cross country blast to Toronto and back for some off-road riding in Ontario, plus my own exploration route/s through Wyoming and Montana. This audio-visual double bill is scheduled to start at 10am on Saturday 28th September.

As another treat, Juan Browne (Blancolirio on Youtube, and Visualizerent here on ADVrider) will also be attending, and we're planning a couple of afternoon trail rides in the local area.

So if you're already planning on attending, or simply fancy a last minute weekend away in some awesome scenery together with some equally awesome people, do check out the Horizons Unlimited website/forum for details (note that online registration is now closed), but if you contact them via email I'm sure you'll be able to sign up on the day.

Hope to see you there!

Jenny x
    Wind_Rider likes this.