Rally-Raid Products Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by ktmmitch, Sep 22, 2014.

1. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    This has never failed me. There's vids on youtube to show how to use it.

https://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-0...cl-20&linkId=5ecb4229705af83af58897b82d33a903
  2. Archie Adv

Archie Adv Celtic Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @ Jmo Jenny being the oracle on this bike. Could you advise the front wheel bearing part number required to suit the level 2/3 wheels please. Buggered if I can find it and I'm sure I've seen it on here.
    Thanks
  3. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Hi Archie - they are the same size wheel bearings (and seals) as used in a KTM EXC/690 Enduro front wheel - you can usually find them in stock at any KTM dealer, or order a complete set with seals (online or via Ebay) for typically less than the cost of the individual parts. If you don't want to pay OEM prices, All-Balls make a good quality replacement set for example.

Jx
  4. Archie Adv

Oddometer:
    Many thanks Jenny. Didn't expect such a quick reply don't you go to bed.....

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
    MattF44 likes this.
  5. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Ha! - the question you have failed to consider is more do I ever get out of it? ;o) - I guess that's the joy of the internet - you are never disconnected, unless you choose to be of course...

In that regard, fortunately I'm the process of concocting various plans that will involve a lot more riding over the coming months - including a brand new "CBXpo* ride v2.0" aimed at all CB500 owners on the west side of the US - a littler later in the year.

*although it won't actually be going to the Overland Expo in May this year I'm afraid...

I'll also be embarking on another epic overland ride myself during June and July - heading north into Canada, and taking in a few new 'must ride' destinations in the US that I couldn't have hoped to include in the original Trans-Am 500 in 2015.

I will of course be blogging this new adventure for you all here on ADVrider, and it will also form the basis of a series of AV presentations for the second half of this year.

Stand by for for some exciting proposals soon!

Jenny x
  6. Archie Adv

Oddometer:
    Oh to be young free, and single......lol
    Not meant as a downer on my life, I've had some great times around the world too but not so much fun nowadays as my body starts to object as age related ailments and biking injuries catches up. The mind is willing the body complains..!!

A busy year ahead then Jenny and on a great wee bike to make it all the more fun.

I will look forward to your blogs and in the meantime finish off my level 3 build. Its so much fun and I marvel at the quality of the parts John and his team produce.

Thanks for your assistance. ;-)
    JMo (& piglet) likes this.
  7. RMABTC

RMABTC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We are awaiting your arrival!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    JMo (& piglet) and Patobez like this.
  8. Archie Adv

Oddometer:
    @ktmmitch or Jmo,

Just finishing up my level 3 install and although I think I've followed your instruction to the T. I'm sure I've read somewhere that the fork tubes should extend through the top of the top yoke by 20mm. It doesn't look right, so can you confirm please? Or should they be positioned as OEM standard?
    Thanks Archie
  9. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hi Archie - no, with the LEVEL 2 and 3 install, the top the the fork caps should be level with the top edge of the triple clamp - this is what gives you the required +20mm clearance for the 19" front fender (and also matches the +30mm fork travel with the +50mm rear shock)...

You would only slide the forks through 20mm if you were running 17" wheels (and fender) on a LEVEL 1 bike*.

*note. To avoid this confusion in future, we will soon have a dedicated LEVEL 1 top triple clamp, so that in both cases, you simply have the forks flush with the top of the triple clamp, as you do with the OEM parts.

Hope that clarifies things!

Have fun on your new bike!

Jenny x
  10. Archie Adv

Oddometer:
    It does Jenny, once again thanks for the quick reply. It'll be it's obvious I'm not an engineer..... lol just an enthusiast.
    Cheers have a good weekend.
    Archie
  11. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    2017 CBXpo ride announcement!

To coincide with Spring having seemingly sprung, I've had a few messages recently regarding whether there is a plan to run another 'CBXpo ride' this year...

For those of you unfamiliar (and with some time to kill over the weekend perhaps) please do follow the link above that describes the inaugural 2016 event - but in a nutshell, this was an idea that Harold [from Giant Loop] and I came up with last year - to essentially ride our bikes from their HQ in Oregon to the Overland Expo West event which is held each year in May near Flagstaff AZ.

I plotted what I hoped would be an entertaining and scenic dual-sport route (ie. a mix of on-road and trail riding each day), and we then invited any other CB500X owners (Rally Raid'ed or otherwise) to join us for either all or part of the trip, or indeed to simply meet us there over the weekend should they wish.

Ultimately we felt that from that little acorn, we could perhaps turn this into an annual event - on the understanding that it is not any sort of officially sanctioned or organised guided tour, rather it would remain simply an opportunity for like-minded (and like-biked) individuals to get together and share the experience of riding overland towards a fixed destination - and not least one you might all ready be planning on attending anyway of course.

So Juan [Visualizerent] and I were all set to get the ball rolling again earlier this year, when it transpired that Overland Expo had moved their dates a week earlier, which unfortunately conflicts with previous commitments... bummer.

[​IMG]

However, all is not lost - we've got our heads together, and hopefully put together a plan that will actually appeal to a greater number of people, and offer a little more flexibility, a little later in the year....

So without further ado, I am pleased to announce the:

"[not the expo] CBXpo Ride 2.0"

September 21st - 1st October 2017

This year (2017) we plan to base the annual CBXpo ride around (or more accurately between) two key events in the Overland calendar - the Horizons Unlimited California/Yosmite meeting (hosted at the Mariposa fairgrounds CA, 21st-24th September 2017), and the Adventure Rally Sierra held at Lakeshore CA the following weekend (28th Sept - 1st October 2017). In between, we intend to focus our riding on a series of trails and scenic/points of interest in and around Death Valley on the eastern side of the Sierra Nevada mountains.

[​IMG]

Now of course these two events are California based, so are going to appeal primarily to west coast riders, but they are also located in some of the finest riding terrain in all of the USA - so a worthwhile destination as part of a longer trip from further afield should you want some inspiration!

As last year, I will be presenting at the Horizons Unlimited Travellers Meeting (two seminars, including a brand new presentation about a solo trip I'll be embarking on in the next couple of months - including Canada), while the Adventure Rally* Sierra is new to me - although it apparently follows a format with which I am already familiar, having ridden in similar orienteering events in the Spanish Pyrenees for example.

*note. I understand you do not have to enter the 'competitive' part of the Adventure Rally if you do not wish to - you can attend at a reduced rate for camping and meals, and simply use the event as base to explore the area on your own.

So the [outline] itinerary that Juan and I have devised for this year is as follows:

Day 1-3: Using the Horizons Unlimited Yosemite meeting weekend (Thursday 21st through Sunday 24th) as the assembly/start point, we will typically spend Friday 22nd and Saturday 23rd attending the various travel presentations and riding-out locally in the area. Camping is on site (with showers/toilets and catering available) or there are various B&B options locally - although I understand these do book up quickly. Our idea is to create a little CB500X (and friends) camping enclave somewhere in a shady spot at the fairgrounds.

Day 4 (on-the-road riding day 1) : Sunday 24th leave Mariposa - with a scenic ride through Yosemite on hwy 120 (note. the National Parks do charge a fee, so you may want to consider a parks pass if you don't already have one). Today will be primarily a tarmac day, through some of the most dramatic scenery in the area.
    Highlights will include a visit to Benton Hot Springs (a dusty almost ghost town), with the option of a long dirt section south to Bishop CA, or a paved option for those who prefer. Overnight in Bishop CA (motel) to freshen up after a few day's camping.

Day 5 (on-the-road riding day 2) : Monday 25th. Leave Bishop and visit the ancient petrified Bristlecone Pine forests high in the While Mountains 11,000+ft above the town. The initial climb on a dirt road is easily manageable on decent tyres, however there is a longer 'tourist' route to the Bristlecone Pine Forest for novices, or those on road-biased machines if you prefer. The final few miles are graded gravel roads.

We will then head south via Big Pine (to stock up on fuel and provisions) and enter the northern end of Death Valley on dirt roads, with a wild camp later in the afternoon. Final route/camp location TBD, once we know who is attending - but currently we have the option of Saline Valley Road, or a more technical ride via Ubehebe Crater, Teakettle Junction and the Racetrack.

Day 6 (on-the-road riding day 3) : Tuesday 26th. after breaking camp we will continue through Death Valley and head east, visiting the quirky ghost-town of Rhyolite as we enter Nevada. There are a series of trails to the east of Death Valley, offering a choice of challenges as we reenter the National Park for another night on the trail under the stars. (note. final numbers and experience will dictate the route and where we camp - but the plan at this stage is to take Warm Springs Canyon via Mengal Pass into Panamint Valley).

Day 7 (on-the-road riding day 4) : Wednesday 27th. Leaving Death Valley behind us, we will head towards Ridgecrest CA, and pick up a series of dirt roads between Jawbone Canyon (OHV area) and Lake Isabella. From there is a twisty scenic ride on a series of paved roads north, before eventually picking up hwy 168 east of Fresno and into Lakeshore CA.

Day 8-11 (optional riding days 5-7) : Adventure Rally Sierra. Lakeshore CA. Departing Sunday 1st October for your journey home.

note. The above itinerary is only a tentative outline at this stage, and subject to change depending on final numbers and preferences.

note also. Should anyone be travelling down from Northern California or Nevada, it is feasible to meet Juan and I around Reno (for example) from Monday 18th September, and join us for a scenic couple of days riding the [paved] passes back and forth across the Sierras en route to Horizons Unlimited.

More details as the plan unfolds!

Hope to see some of you along the way!

Jenny x

edit. To clarify, while Juan and I are planning to attend both top and tail organised events in their entirety, there is nothing to stop CB500X owners meeting us on the Sunday morning (24th September) in Mariposa, and riding just the Death Valley sections for the four days in the middle - particularly if you have other commitments [or do not wish to attend] the official events either side... as I say, this is simply a bunch of CB owners getting together and riding some cool roads and a trails for a few days ;o)
  12. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:

Oh, Canada!

ps. As I hinted above, prior to this year's "[not the expo] CBXpo ride", I'll be embarking on another solo cross-country (well, almost all the way across) trip this summer, including heading north over the border and meeting up with Alan and the gang at Rocky Mountain Adventure Bike Touring Company near Edmonton Alberta CAN, around the middle of June this year...

In that regard, we are also hoping to get a CB500X owners ride together (it won't be huge, just a few days) in the Canadian Rockies - most likely around Jasper National Park - again, more info as the plan unfolds... I'm leaving the logistics of this one up to him ;o)

Jx
    visualizerent, Patobez and RMABTC like this.
  13. Patobez

Patobez Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sweet! Can't wait to be a part of this! Ohhh Caaaaanaaadaaaaa, we stand on.....
    RMABTC likes this.
  14. MattF44

MattF44 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Has anyone fitted the Giant Loop Mototrekk panniers using the Rally Raid racks? The look kinda somewhere in-between the Mosko bags and Wolfman Expeditions....at least something like that.
    Patobez likes this.
  15. RMABTC

RMABTC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They won't be available till the end of June, but I have been promised a prototype set in the next week or so and I will try them on the RRP racks, siskiyou's however fit perfectly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Patobez and JMo (& piglet) like this.
  16. MattF44

MattF44 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cool -- keep us posted. Thanks.

I'm pretty happy with my coyote, but am not immune to something a little move convenient to grab stuff out of on the fly.
    RMABTC likes this.
  17. Patobez

Patobez Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I will be doing the Fat Bar conversion with my L3 and am wondering if it is worth trying to salvage the stock grips or better to just go with some nice MX grips? Has anybody done this? Jmo??? Ha ha thanks!
  18. Garde

Garde brainz 4 sale

Oddometer:
    I'm swapping my heated grips over.

IMO, though, after shelling out the cash for the lvl 2 (and now the wheels), why not spend another $20 and get some nice grips? Might have to whittle down the OEM throttle tube, though.
  19. GotMojo

GotMojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One year anniversary ride for me. RR L3 continues to deliver as advertised. This is only my 10th off road day (I only get to play in the desert a few weekends a year). Confidence and skill continues to improve by leaps and bounds. I added a couple of new items to my kit -- Stiff soled boots (AStar Toucan) and a Scott's steering stabilizer. The steering stabilizer made a noticeable improvement in handling. The boots also helped relieve fatigue and made standing all day much more comfortable.

After a two day hell-on-earth windstorm, conditions on Hunter mountain were fantastic. The Sierra is covered & smothered in snow but all roads in DV are clear and in good shape!

pv2.jpg

South Pass, Panamint Valley, DVNP
  20. Patobez

Patobez Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I hear ya. Thanks. Just more curious about what would be a good grips to go with for an adventure bike.