Rally-Raid Products Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by ktmmitch, Sep 22, 2014.

1. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Soon, just finalising front hub new design this weekend
    dirtytroll, maxcielle and Johnytuono like this.
  2. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    A follow-up question on 2019 RR Level 2 specs: Does the ground clearance also increase by 10mm (from 235 mm / 9.25" to 245mm / 9.65")?

Edit: Sorry, original values were quoted incorrectly.
    Stock GC for 2013-2018 is 170 mm, or 6.7". RRL2 30 mm lift to 200 mm or 7.9".
    Stock GC for 2019 is 180 mm, plus 30 mm lift is 210 mm or 8.3".
    Apologies. G12.
  3. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Hi Gryphon - the LEVEL 2 suspension for the 2019 model is 30mm longer travel than stock (180mm vs 150mm), so all things being equal [tyres etc.] the ground clearance also increases by the same amount over the standard bike, as the bike is lifted the same amount front and rear.

So yes, essentially a 2019 model LEVEL 2 bike will have 10mm more ground clearance than a 2013-18 bike with a LEVEL 2 kit fitted, as there is going to be 10mm more overall travel available than before.

Hope that clarifies things!

Jx

ps. for info. Broadly speaking, the two bikes will actually have the same overall seat height - since our original LEVEL 2 kit added +50mm travel to the rear of the bike (ie. 810mm + 50mm) while the new model has a 830mm seat + 30mm extra travel, so both 860mm in total - although this is mainly due to Honda having reshaped the 2019 seat to reduce the height a little too of course.
  4. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks so much for your reply. I also need to correct my original numbers, which I quoted incorrectly. Stock GC for 2013-2018 is 170 mm. RRL2 30 mm lift to 200 mm or 7.9". Stock GC for 2019 is 180 mm, plus 30 mm lift is 210 mm or 8.3". Apologies. G12.
  5. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hi Gryphon - to clarify, the 2013-18 LEVEL 2 suspension lifts the bike 50mm at the rear, 30mm at the front (so that both ends are 170mm) - plus the added diameter of the 19" front wheel (and taller tyres) also raises the bike another 30mm at the front of course.

I haven't got a tape measure handy (nor a 2019 bike here in the US yet for comparison) - but your original number for the LEVEL 2 bike [under the engine guard] is not all that far off as I recall (235mm)*...

for info. Our measurement for the 2013-18 LEVEL 2 bike was the actual distance (using a tape measure) between the ground and the bottom of our Adventure engine guard - with the bike standing on it's wheels and TKC80 tyres (150/70x17 rear and 110/80x19 front) fitted, plus the preload set the way John likes it.

I'm not sure where Honda measure their OEM ground clearance - but obviously on the earlier bikes they had that belly pan fitted which reduced clearance (165mm according to a spec sheet from that period), while the new bike is listed at 180mm as you say.

So until we get a 2019 bike on it's suspension and wheels/tyres, I'm not able to give you a definitive comparison answer - but as you suspect, broadly speaking the 180mm travel 2019 LEVEL 2 bike is likely to have 10mm more ground clearance than the 2013-18 bikes with their 170mm travel suspension. The only proviso is that the 2019 bike has a larger/fatter exhaust cat. which may reduce that number slightly.

Either way, unless you're a complete animal, you very rarely bottom out a LEVEL 2 bike anyway ;o)

Hope that helps!

Jenny x

*edit. I just went out to the garage with a tape measure and measured my own 2014 LEVEL 2 bike - sure enough, the leading edge of the engine guard is 235mm above the floor with the bike standing upright on it's wheels - so your original presumption was spot on.
    ThirtyOne likes this.
  6. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can't get on the Rally Raid site Jenny.....is it down? I'm in the UK
  7. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    Quickly checked, it doesn't work for me either.
  8. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    John has just replied to a similar question on Facebook - the server is being updated this weekend. It should be back online asap.

Jenny x
    Johnytuono and UKJeeper like this.
  9. Johnytuono

Oddometer:
    Am thinking of buying wider footpegs.....will the ones from Rally Raid fit the 2019 model please

Thanks
  10. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hi Johnytuono - yes, the footrest hangers haven't changed between the 2017/18 modals and 2019 bikes.

Jx
    dirtytroll and Johnytuono like this.
  11. Johnytuono

Oddometer:
    What about the Scorpion end can will that fit a 2019? Also will it prevent my luggage from burning.....looks close with the standard 'double' can
  12. No-Fret

No-Fret Tanker

Oddometer:
    Weather is turning nice in PNW. 20190407_171659.jpg
    OneAUout, jconli1, ThirtyOne and 2 others like this.
  13. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hi Johny' - yes, the Scorpion Serket Taper exhaust will also be available for the 2019-on bikes, it will just need a slightly different shaped link-pipe (mid section) to connect with the new cat/header that Honda have fitted to the 2019 bikes. The 2019-on specific exhaust will be available shortly, together with the version for the 2013-18 bikes.

Jx
    dirtytroll likes this.
  14. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Maybe we need a CB500X WA BDR group ride soon, once the snow has cleared ;o)

Jx
    UKJeeper, boardforever and No-Fret like this.
  15. Johnytuono

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the reply Jenny.
    Will it direct more away from the luggage on that side? I own Kriega OS32's and it's a little close for my liking when fitted to SW Motech Evo frames.
  16. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    It will be at the same angle as the current Serket exhaust... I've not heard of anyone having issues with those exhausts and luggage, although every luggage combo can be slightly different of course.

[​IMG]

Hopefully this photo illustrates the distance from the top of the can to the seat - basically the same height as the pillion footrest.

Jx
    No-Fret likes this.
  17. Wind_Rider

Wind_Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We tried that once... it was wet and cold that day as I recall... fun anyhow !
  18. No-Fret

No-Fret Tanker

Oddometer:
    I will be very busy this summer. Going to the Touratech Rally West followed by a ride to ID/Yellowstone/WY and back to WA. Planning to attend the Soundrider Rally in The Gorge in August.

Any CBX folks going to Touratech Rally?
  19. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sunday finishing off cnc machining the new billet front hub to fit the Honda CB500X 2019 model, which is quite different from previous years. Now we are happy with fitment the hub will be anodised and laced to 19” alloy rim for testing in the next few weeks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
  20. NLD

NLD Plus Ultra!

Oddometer:
    Hi @JMo (& piglet),

just out of curiosity: are there still plans for additional products for the CB? This thread mentioned a possible different fairing and in the '16 advpulse article on the heritage build, a folding tip gear shifter was mentioned?