Rally-Raid Products Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by ktmmitch, Sep 22, 2014.

1. No-Fret

No-Fret DeplorableTanker

Oddometer:
    Riding my trusty RRCBX out to Tonino Washington for dinner. 20190518_183924.jpg
  2. jojojones

jojojones Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking of getting a scorpion too but is that a sticker that says scorpion or something hard to remove. I hate free advertising.
  3. No-Fret

No-Fret DeplorableTanker

Oddometer:
    Scorpion but not sure how hard it would be to remove.
  4. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Don't worry Jojo, it peals off very easily if you want...

[​IMG]

Jx
    No-Fret, maxcielle and ThirtyOne like this.
  5. jojojones

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night with that thing on there.
    No-Fret likes this.
  6. No-Fret

No-Fret DeplorableTanker

Oddometer:
    Since going tubeless on my rear RR wheel my MPG has increased by 5 MPG. Big difference in acceleration and feel.
  7. Wind_Rider

Wind_Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the my experience the wheel weight was pretty even between RR and Stock wheels... I weighed then at the swap.. seems like one was heavier, one was a little lighter, can't remember any more.

However, if you put some big chunky knobby tires on there it makes a difference that is noticeable and most tires with a heavy off road bent to them are heavier.

I did not observe any large difference in MPG when the wheels were changed.
  8. Volute

Volute n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi John/Jenny,

Do the Level 1 kits for the 2013-18 bikes currently come with adjustable preload caps (no mention on the product page)? Jenny mentioned previously in the thread that they don't anymore (Post #5663) and can be purchased separately, however they don't appear to be listed on the Rally Raid Products website (I only found mention of them in one of the spanner descriptions). Are the RRP 436 preload adjusters still being made?

Thanks,

Alex
  9. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hi Alex - sorry no, for a good while now the fork kits no longer come with preload caps - primarily to help reduce the cost of the kit as it was only 2013-15 models that didn’t have any adjusters as standard. While the locking Rally-Raid ones were/are much better than the OEM design on the 2016-on models, most people seem happy to retain their OEM ones where fitted (and enjoy the cost saving) or buy cheap ebay ones (rather than pay extra for the pukka Rally-Raid design). Therefore once stock of the orginal Rally-Raid caps was sold, they have not been replenished in the range.

However, that said - you may be familiar with the low profile (with indent clickers) design John introduced for the G310GS last year? And the intention is to re-introduce a new and similar pair of fork caps for the CB range now we know that the 2019 model continues with the existing fork tubes.

Stay tuned as they say...

Jenny x
    Volute likes this.
  10. ThirtyOne

ThirtyOne I got my wings back. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just arrived to Honduras. L1 to L2 here we come.

IMG_4749.jpg

IMG_4761.jpg
  11. No-Fret

No-Fret DeplorableTanker

Oddometer:
    Not a coincidence I believe.
    ThirtyOne likes this.
  12. jackrabbit56

jackrabbit56 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, just heat it up with a hair dryer and good to go.
  13. UKJeeper

UKJeeper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wishing John ( @ktmmitch ) all the best, as he is having his OEM equipment being upgraded to aftermarket parts today. #hipreplacement
  14. mcpenner

mcpenner mcpenner

Oddometer:
    I've been searching for controversial tire size information off and on for weeks. Perhaps my search skills suck (teach me?) or the information I seek is no where collected in a place that I am capable of understanding.
    (disclaimer out of the way)
    The question:
    What are the tire size options with Level 2 RR and stock wheels? This is an adventure bike question. I am not interested in what works best for paved street only riding! My understanding is that narrower and taller is generally better for gravel, sand, mud and obstacles (Experience proves this up to a point. On this bike with stock wheels there is no danger of getting near this point).
    The variables:
    Front
    - what is the narrowest and tallest tire that will fit with the stock fender in standard position?
    - what is the narrowest and tallest tire that will safely run on the stock rim with the fender raised of removed?

Rear
    - with no fender to contend with, what is the narrowest and tallest tire that will run on the stock rim safely?
  15. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hi MC' - first up - search function - and a disclaimer, some of us spell tyre, tyre (and not tire) you know ;o)

So bearing that in mind, in regard to the search button (top right of each forum page), if you click the 'search this thread only' box and type in: tyre size, you'll get loads of replies (including some pretty recently) from me that ought to give you the answer/options you're looking for...

However, to save you that particular adventure, and for other people to bookmark:

Stock cast wheels: you can fit either a 150/70x17 rear which is by far the most popular 'adventure' tread size, or some people have fitted a 170/60x17 version where it's available - although personally I think that is way oversize for the sizer and weight of this bike, and isn't going to feel as nimble on or off road. A 150/70x17 rear is what you want on the cast 4.25" wide rear wheel.

On the front, you are really limited to the 120/70x17 front specific tyre like a TKC80 - so good job it's an excellent choice then eh?

note. some people have tried with greater or lesser success to fit various rear 17" tyres on the front, but that is not something I (or Rally-Raid) would ever recommend - don't be an animal! - plus you'd almost certainly need to raise the stock fender using brackets or something.

The dedicated front 120/70 x 17" TKC80 fits with the stock fender in the standard position. Fit it, and forget it.

For the Rally-Raid spoked wheels: the rear rim is slightly more narrow than the OEM cast wheels, allowing you the choice of fitting the universal 150/70x17 rear as before, or our personal preference/suggestion of the slightly more narrow/taller and lighter-weight 140/80x17 rear tyre - from those brands that have the option... again the Continental TKC80 is what we always recommend on this bike, it just works.

At the front, any of the 110/80x19 front tyres would work (as with the 150/70x17 rear, this is by far the most popular 19" front 'all terrain' size across all brands) - although because the 19" front rim is more narrow in the first place (2.5" wide, compared to the 3.5" wide rim on the 17" cast wheels for example), you also have the option of fitting a 100/90x19" size where available*.

*Again this size is typically limited to certain brands, but you can get a TKC80 in that size carcass, albeit for tube-type only (even if you rims are BARTubeless) - and the 100/90 works slightly better for directional control in soft conditions (such as sand) I've found.

Hope that settles your confusion!

Jenny x

ps. based on your specific bike above, you can't really run a 140/80x17 rear on the stock 4.25" wide rim (for example, the BMW F700 that has that tyre size as stock only has a 3.5" wide rim, albeit cast too).

Similarly, there are no specific front tyres for 17" wheels other than the 120/70x17 size TKC80, and your stock rim is 3.5" wide so you wouldn't want to go more narrow than a 120 anyway otherwise you risk rim damage. This is why fitting the 19" front wheel offers up so many more all-terrain tyre choices - both taller and more narrow. If you try fitting a rear tyre on the front to get a bit more height, you'll inevitably have to go up in width too which is going to defeat the object really?
  16. mcpenner

mcpenner mcpenner

Oddometer:
    Thank you Jenny x. I know it's frustrating to answer the same question many times. When I read all the threads on this place and others I end up with various tire size numbers written down and I can't remember who said what and why. It's probably because I'm at work and can't really concentrate on what I'm doing lol.

Anyway, I got some goodies today. It feels like my birthday :-)
    [​IMG]
    JMo (& piglet) and ThirtyOne like this.
  17. jojojones

Oddometer:
    What is the clearance of the 19 with RR2 and bash plate? Does the RR2 on 19 give the same amount of lift as the RR3 on previous bikes?

I thought I read some where it was better than the klr??? 9"?

ps...get well John...remember Steve Austin..."Better, Stronger, Faster"
  18. No-Fret

No-Fret DeplorableTanker

Oddometer:
    Its about 1 inch more the the KLR. Around 9 inches.
  19. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Detailed answer back just a few pages...
  20. jojojones

Oddometer: