Rally-Raid Products Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by ktmmitch, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry to resurrect an old question but........in anticipation of my Scorpion coming for my 2019 bike.......have watched a few more videos of fitting one and some are saying the exhaust won't line up if fit behind the pillion bracket?? So, really would like definite confirmation if it can be provided please.......

eg this one

2. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Johny - you've already come to the source [ie. the Rally-Raid vendor thread], and I gave you the answer:

[​IMG]

for info. The link pipe ought to be fitted separately to the header first, and rotated into the correct position so when you offer up the silencer, the bracket lines up with the inside of the hanger. Note that leaving the link pipe loose at each end means you can jiggle everything around until it lines up correctly.

Once you're happy with how it's lined up, you secure the silencer using the bolt and washers to the hanger, then tighten the clamp around the link-pipe to the header, and finally fit the two retention springs to hold the silencer to the link pipe. It really isn't rocket science.

If you spend enough time on the internet you'll find any number of posts and videos of people not doing what ought to be pretty simple things correctly (which is why kids should be encouraged to play with Lego and Meccano and not fucking video games) and in the instance above for example, note that not only did the guy fit the link pipe to the silencer before trying to line everything up, but he also has luggage racks fitted that have a bracket which also clamps behind the exhaust hanger - which might also explain why he struggled.

Jx
  3. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for that info Jenny. I just wanted to be 100% sure because I hate fitting things then having to refit them :-)
    JMo (& piglet) likes this.
  4. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    No worries - just take your time, and as I say, once you have the components in your hands you ought to be see how the link pipe section rotates around the end of the header tube, adjusting the angle of the end the silencer slots into - and allowing you to mount the silencer bracket behind the footrest hanger as desired.

It is worth noting of course that the silencer bracket is essentially central to the can on the version of that exhaust for the CB500X, so equally there is nothing to stop you mounting on the outside if you need/want to - for example, in the video you posted above that bike already has a bracket behind the footrest hanger, which might well mean the silencer is now a bit too close to the swing-arm if you tried to mount it inside of the luggage bracket - hence in that instance, you would need to mount the exhaust on the outside instead, although it means the silencer sticks out a little more of course.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter to be honest, but if you want your silencer tucked in neatly, it can be mounted behind the hanger as my photo above shows.

Have fun!

Jx
    Johnytuono likes this.
  5. maxcielle

maxcielle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any suggestions for crash bars that work with RR engine guard.
    After my crash I'm considering getting one, but maybe with Barkbusters it's ok now?
    It's there any light ones that work nice?
  6. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hi Maxcielle - the Hepco Becker upper engine/tank guards don't use the same mounting location as the Rally-Raid engine guard, so they ought to be the easiest to fit.

It's worth noting that the revised engine guard design for the 2019-on bikes (and retrospectively) will also make fitting those upper tank guards that do use the same forward engine mounting bolts more easy in future.

None of them are lightweight though, and personally speaking, I've not found that sort of bar offers any real protection other than possibly preventing the odd scuff on the plastic fairing panels perhaps - which are cheap enough to replace [should you feel the need to be pristine] if you ever go down anyway.

As you've surmised, strong bars and hand-guards tend to take the brunt of any drop/fall - the CB is nice and narrow in that regard.

Hope that helps...

Jenny x
    maxcielle likes this.
  7. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow! That sure looks sweet! :raabia

Jenny, can you tell us what that bike weighs as it's shown there? Sorry if this has already been answered...
    No-Fret likes this.
  8. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hi AG' - No, I refuse - everyone on ADVrider seems obsessed with weight these days, when it really doesn't matter on bikes like this... they are already far heavier than a typical dual-sport enduro - so if your concern is you're going to struggle picking one up, then a few lbs either way isn't going to make any difference to whether you can or not.

But more seriously - John is currently away from the office, so I can't ask him to categorically weigh stuff at the moment - but I can tell you that the latest version of the wheels and 2019 mode suspension kit components are essentially like for like, while the engine guard and side/tail luggage racks and hand-guards all weigh what they did before, and so are going to add in the region of 15lbs.

note. If you fit the Scorpion exhaust however [not shown in that photo], you immediately save 6lbs - so conversely that helps to reduce the weight back down again.

Jx
  9. ag_streak

ag_streak Tiene Ruta Cuarenta? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

So, not far off from stock then. 435-ish?
  10. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Stock 2019 ABS model* (full of 17.5 litres of fuel) is 197Kg according to Honda, so that's 434lbs.

*ie. John's UK bike in the photo.

Add the engine guard and luggage racks, and swap the exhaust, and you're looking around 440 or so I imagine, but as I say, until John can give the exact weights on the accessories, it's only a guideline...

Either way, I wouldn't sweat it ;o)

Jx
    ag_streak likes this.
  11. jojojones

jojojones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am one of those trying to cut every bit of weight. As per your previous post the scorpion saves 4lbs over 19 oem and that might offset adding the bash plate.

Anybody have a link to a lighter battery for the 19?

***EDIT*** I just weighed the 19 rr bash plate at 6.4lbs without the aluminum parts and hardware so it will take more than scorpion to offset.

funny...I have my new bash plate and I read about people riding these "reportedly" great bikes.
  12. depresso

depresso Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm a bit puzzled over the whole "concerns over weight". The bike is pretty light as it is. Obviously the heavier the rider, the heavier the bike will be, and even moreso with pillion or luggage or anything else you fit on it.
    I'd take a small weight increase over an increased risk of damaging the bike any day. But to each their own :)
    jojojones likes this.
  13. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    I know - it appears to be a theme these days, and on ADVrider especially (don't dip into the Yamaha T7 thread for goodness' sake!)

I always recall a reply to a letter in a mountain-bike magazine years ago when someone asked if they should replace all the bolts on their bike with titanium to shave a few grammes... "Or you could just take a shit before you race" was the answer.

As you say Depresso, these are Adventure bikes - which by their nature are built to take on a multitude of roles well, not necessarily excel in any one defined area. Weight is only really ever an issue if you are looking to extract the maximum performance out of a [racing] machine... this is a 47hp 200Kg multi-terrain bike, where strength and reliability ought to take precedence every time.

Jx
  14. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    To each of it's own.
    The 500 is engineered to a set of parameters and certainly light weight and performance were at the very end of the list.
    As an engineer I always get cranked by those type of comments where people ignore the factual difference between the dead weight of the bike and the active weight of the rider. If that would be the case, trial races would be won on heavy and powerful bikes by baby sized riders.
    A bike and it's rider are a dynamic system, which is continuously changing momentum, and the change is generated by force. In acceleration the force os generated by the engine thrust working against the mass of the whole system. However at cornering or manouvering ot is the mass and input of the rider what is altering the momentum of the whole system.
    Would I be able to ride better id I'd drop 10 lbs? Most probably not, as I'm quite a fit guy at about 180lbs. Would it make a difference if I'd loose 10lbs from the bike? Hell yeah. 5lbs from above CoG and 5lbs from the wheels (rotating and unsprung weight) would make a massive change. When I was racing and changed from stock wheels to Marchesinis on the 600rr, my laptimes improved significantly as the bike was accelerating and decelerating quicker and became more agile - everything else was unchanged. Also lower relative weight of unsprung weight means better suspension compliance and better ride for the same reason. Relatively lighter (unsprung relative to total weight) suspension components are changing their momentum quicker so they are tracking the surface better.
    In that regard it doesn't matter if engine bolts, or swingarm axle is changed to lighter version as they are close to CoG and not alternating or rotating. But lighter wheels, lighter susoension components, reducing weight of higher components or moving them closer to CoG does make a significant difference. Just think of it how much easier to manouver the bike when the fuel tank is almost empty compared to be full. Also whoever removed the front fairing, dash, etc and had to manhandle the bike around in the garage knows how much that 10-20 lbs difference makes.
    Not saying that running on an empty tank is desirable at all. Just saying that saving weight from different components is not equal.
    A light weight battery is one of the quickest and most effective wins - gram/dollar spent it is actually a good investment (yes I'm a geek, done an ABC analysis on weight reduction where cost of change is weighted with relative change of mass, and it's location on the bike). My calculations all together counted for close to 17kg or 37 lbs from stock before adding back accessories like bash plate and barkbusters etc. Some of thsm only reduces weight by a few tens of grams, and some are prohibitively expensive but I've got to about 8kgs below stock relatively easy so far and it is noticeable.
    redolga and jojojones like this.
  15. jojojones

jojojones Long timer

Oddometer:
    del
  16. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hi Jojo - you do relise this is the Rally-Raid vendor thread? All the 2019 Rally-Raid parts are on line on their web-shop ;o)

Jx
    jojojones likes this.
  17. DrHeinrich

DrHeinrich um.... huh. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jojo, just a reminder: this isn't LIFE AND DEATH, man.
    jojojones likes this.
  18. jojojones

jojojones Long timer

Oddometer:
    sorry...that was supposed to go in another thread.
  19. jojojones

jojojones Long timer

Oddometer:
    yes I agree. ALL of this is a first world problem...
    DrHeinrich likes this.
  20. 0p2_ADV

0p2_ADV Mother Earth is a source of life, not a resource

Oddometer:
    Is anybody else having a delayed response from John from RR ? Sent an e mail yesterday in regards to the million milestone and still haven’t received a response. Please advise.