Rally-Raid Products Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by ktmmitch, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    As far as I understand, John just went through some major service, and got part of his OEM suspension equipment changed to some bling aftermarket ones (hip replacement) - so not sure when he will answer emails.
    maxcielle likes this.
  2. jojojones

jojojones Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    Is this article correct in that The RR3 kit on the previous gen bikes got clearance up to 9.25"? That's better than a klr.
    https://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/rally-raid-cb500x-review/
    Where is the extra clearance inch coming from? Is it the dogbone? There does not appear to be a dogbone in the 19 RR2 kit? Why?
    ???

...I know it's low volume and likely low priority but a scotts mount for the 19 would be cool.
  3. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Hi Jojo - you really need to stop obsessing about numbers!

Yes, a 2013-18 LEVEL 2 suspension and wheels bike (what used to be referred to as LEVEL 3) has 235mm ground clearance, when fitted with TKC80 tyres.

The stock 2019 bike has 20mm less travel, a fatter catalytic converter, and less knobbly tyres as standard which would explain the difference in ground clearance.

The linkage on the 2019 bike is different (to allow Honda to fit a longer travel shock) and has a more traditional shape knuckle and pair of dog bones, rather that the previous bike which used a single big dog bone and pair of plates. Both the L1 and L2 shocks for the 2019 bikes come wirh a new linkage knuckle, and use the OEM dog bones.

The previous bike really doesn’t need a steering stabiliser, and nor does the new one by all accounts... and it would add unnecessary weight of course ;o)

Hope that clarifies things...

Jenny x
    visualizerent likes this.
  4. jojojones

jojojones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi JMo,

After shedding the weight and low clearance of the 17 strom, my primary goal with the 500x IS weight and clearance. I can't have more than 1 bike. Right now I have zero bike...so while I wait I am trying to map out how to get this one bike to cover everything as good as possible within reason...hence "obsession".

In the world of making street oriented bikes have more ground clearance, I believe another inch is HUGE!!! So when I noticed 9.25" and that being actually more than a klr..to me that's very impressive.

Never knew about the cat thickness...thanks.

I guess it is possible to use the RR2 set up with custom plates and dogbones to get that inch in the back? If so, how would you get it in the front???...different fork?
  5. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    I’m in a tent in Oregon so forgive the short reply.

As per my reply above, if you fit LEVEL 2 suspension to a 2019 bike it is +20mm higher than stock, and if you fit TKC80s you get at least 5mm more too - so there is your inch.

For info. You can’t get more travel than that (170mm) at the rear because the shock will start to bind on the swing arm as moves through its arc - plus the location of the swing arm pivot in relation to the front sprocket means the chain angle would be too acute over the slipper.

Therefore putting longer forks on would just create a chopper...

John and I spent many months during 2014/15 dialling in the spec of the LEVEL 2 bike to be optimum for this chassis platform. It works.

Jenny x
    jojojones and UKJeeper like this.
  6. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In the end, as Jenny has said many times, it is still a 400+ pound bike. Having gone the same route (DL650 to CBX LVL2), I can tell you it is transformative, but, if you have hopes of a manageable bike for technical terrain, then you may consider something like the 300 pound WR250R that I recently added to the fleet. The CBX will always be a street bike. Rally Raid made it a quite nice Adventure bike, but for those of us that don't have Jenny's skills and experience, it can still be a handful in rough terrain. The first time I took the WRR out, I was doing things that I would never consider even on the CBX. That's not to say the CB couldn't do it, but I wasn't willing to try with my skills. Check out my Random Roads and Desert Dust ride report for the full details of my evolution from the VStrom to CB to WRR.

The CB500X may or may not be the bike you're looking for. Be honest with yourself about your skills and intended use. I plan to keep my CBX, but the WRR is a far superior bike for learning how to ride technical dirt. My thought is that those skills learned on the WRR will translate over to the CBX so I can maximizing its capability in the future without beating it up (or tearing up my back trying to pick up a bike that is nearly 450 pounds).

Don't get me wrong, I love my Rally Raid CBX, but an inch or so clearance or a few pounds isn't going to transform this bike. With the Level 2 kit, it is still a heavy(ish) bike, albeit with decent clearance and a top notch suspension.
    ThirtyOne and jojojones like this.
  7. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi
    I have a 2019 UK model (ABS) and have ordered the spoked wheels from Rally Raid and am waiting for them to arrive. In the meantime I'm wondering what I would need, rather than swapping out the rotors, sprocket etc for the wheels front and back ?
    I'm thinking maybe get a black Talon sprocket. So basically I will have a complete set of spare wheels.
    TIA
    jojojones likes this.
  8. jojojones

jojojones Long timer

Oddometer:
    you should get this sprocket mentioned at 2:12 here
    maxcielle likes this.
  9. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately the Supersprock Stealth was not available in cb500x sizes last time I've checked.
    jojojones likes this.
  10. depresso

depresso Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In that case you should also be looking at cost comparisons between each bike and decide from there.
    For example, here in Australia, the CB500X is about $8495 ride away (stock), so by the time you were to add on the Level 2 kit (~$3.5k) and you have a bike that by all accounts is extremely capable for under $12k.
    The KTM 790 Adventure R $22,000 + statutory charges (so probably closer to $25k)... once again if you think about changing things on the bike then add onto that price.

Additionally, you could also consider the cost of repairs for when things get damaged - which lets me honest, it will eventually. Plus you won't have as much 'fear' when it comes to taking it off road and binning it :p
    The first time I ever took a 1200GSA off-road I was quite concerned and the financial impact of a ground impact was very much in the back of my mind. With the CB... not so much.
    Something to think about :)
  11. redolga

redolga Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is why you buy used. You get a discount from new and in most cases the bike has been upgraded with a few necessary items.
    visualizerent likes this.
  12. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1

My well used WRR, in addition to being better off road, is also a much lower investment than the CBX and cheaper to repair.
  13. alvaro_rider

alvaro_rider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi,

@JMo (& piglet) Can you tell me wich is the diference between the scorpion exaust for the 2019 model and the previous ones?

Thanks a lot.
  14. hondamxracer

hondamxracer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any idea when skidplates will be available? What’s the cure lead time?
  15. visualizerent

visualizerent Raconteur

Oddometer:
    RRPCB500X fans -rejoice!! Finally a new ride video from Blancolirio.
    Part 1 of a 3 day 2 night adventure around the "Emerald Triangle" portion of the N. California coast range...stay tuned. Bike running like brand new still. Zero issues. Juan Nevada City, Ca.
  16. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hi Alvaro' - yes, basically the link pipe section in the middle has to be a different shape/length as the 2019 bike has a different header pipe, and the exit is not in the same location as before.

Jx
  17. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    True, but someone has to buy new or else there won't ever be any used models available...

Pay it forward and enjoy that new-bike smell ;o)

Jx
    Rob-Houston, OneAUout and appliance57 like this.
  18. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    The 2019 model Rally-Raid LEVEL 2 demo bike breaks cover in the UK press this week:

[​IMG]
    photo. courtesy of Anlas Tyres

Just a reminder that the current 'Million Milestone' [10% off everything online for ADVrider inmates] promotion ends on Saturday this week: 8th June - and all 2019 model specific parts are available to order and included in the promotion!

I can't wait to get mine here in the US!

Jenny x
    OneAUout, Twempie, Wind_Rider and 2 others like this.
  19. Cro59

Cro59 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Has RR considered Brake Disc guards?
  20. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hi Cro59 - no (well yes, but soon dismissed) - they've not proved necessary.

Jx
    Cro59 likes this.