Rally-Raid Products Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by ktmmitch, Sep 22, 2014.

1. ksmoker2

ksmoker2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know what's the rise of the RC high bars vs the stock 2019 bars?
  2. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:

I know her from the forums, but I don't think that's what you meant. :scratch
    Johnytuono and JMo (& piglet) like this.
  3. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Hi Ksmoker2 - Renthal RC High bend bars have a rise of 84mm, while the stock bars have a rise of around 115-120mm as I recall.

EDIT - I miss read your original question, I thought you meant the 2013-18 bikes, the 2019 bars have a far more shallow rise than the originals, and taller triple clamps - basically they did what we did as described below:

The Rally-Raid Fat-bar riser option for the LEVEL 2 triple clamp is +35mm taller than the 7/8ths risers, to make up the difference (note. they are actually a touch higher than the stock bars at the ends, but that is mainly due to the sweep being less on the RC High bend bars - and that also depends on the angle you have them of course).

If you are looking to fit the Renthal RC High bend fat-bars to the stock triple clamps, you're going to need some sort of riser/converter of a similar height - RoxRisers etc. The [budget] alternative is to fit something like the ProTaper SE bars (7/8ths, with a cross-brace) for the KLX110, which should fit straight on to the stock saddles of the OEM top-triple.

Hope that helps...

Jenny x
  4. ksmoker2

ksmoker2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jenny. Just trying to decide if I was going to order some bars with my other parts. I remember reading the Bark Busters end pinch bolt doesn't quite fit the end of the stock handle bars due to the thinner wall construction.
  5. Peby

Peby Adventurer

Oddometer:
    32dgrz - Curious about the higher front fender on your bike. Admittedly I’m not versed in all aspects of the CB500X but I don’t recall seeing that before and I’ve seen notes that the brake line may prevent a higher fender. Is this an available mod - or something you fabricated yourself?
  6. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    32dgrz has a non-ABS bike, you can fit a high fender in the same way as Visualizerent did (Blancolirio on YouTube).

Jx
    Peby likes this.
  7. Monkeystick

Monkeystick n00b

Oddometer:
    Visited Rally Raid yesterday and had engine bars and level 2 suspension fitted to my 2019 CB500X, first customer 2019 they have done.
    The whole experience was excellent from Liz offering coffee on arrival, to the precise work that John and Adam did fitting the kit to my bike. I stayed with them while they did the work to try and learn as much as possible about the exercise. (I am a mechanical idiot, even after 50 years riding motorcycles).
    If you live close enough (I am 80 miles away) and like me are not confident about doing the work, I thoroughly recommend you gat Adam and John to do it.
    I was bit concerned about the extra seat height, I am vertically challenged at 5’6”, but found it to be no problem, I can get the balls of both feet on the ground, or flat foot one side with a bit of a shuffle across the seat.
    Suspension top notch and a big improvement. Engine bars also top notch and essential for protection, they look good too!
    I have a Scorpion exhaust on order and will get that when stock arrives.
    I also made a new friend in Rosie, Liz and John’s dog!
  8. maxcielle

maxcielle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Jenny, if I want to replace stock handlebar with another 22mm one in gold (to match my upcoming goldwheels) what do you recommend? Is it any point doing that?
  9. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    thanks for letting us use your 2019 CB500X as the first production parts test, all went well, and the rain stopped before leaving. Glad you met Rally Raid Rosie.............next time meet the horse !!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    maxcielle, Rob-Houston and UKJeeper like this.
  10. Rob-Houston

Rob-Houston Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Coffee? What's wrong with a "spot of tea"? :D
    maxcielle likes this.
  11. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hi Ksmoker2 - Following on from my EDIT above, the OEM 2019 bars have a similar rise to the Renthals - looking at a photo I'd say around 50-60mm. So in that regard the RC High bend bars will give you about an inch more rise. John confirmed that you can fit the RC High bend bars with the stock cables etc.

Sorry for any confusion!

Jenny x
    ksmoker2 likes this.
  12. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hi Maxcielle - to clarify, I made a mistake reading Ksmoker's original post - I thought they mean the earlier 2013-18 bikes which had the high-rise 22mm bars.

If you are talking about the 2019 bike too, then they have inch-and-an-eighth (28mm) Fat-bars as standard (albeit steel, and not thicker wall aluminium), so any aluminium Fat-bars with a similar rise will be a direct swap.

If you are talking about an earlier bike (2013-18), then you are limited to which 22mm bars will fit the stock saddles - as I mentioned above, the ProTaper SE bars for the KLX110 are pretty much a direct swap for the earlier model steel bars, but I think those are only available in black?

Regardless of the colour, it's certainly it's worth swapping the stock steel bars for some stronger aluminium ones - perhaps not initially (if cost is a consideration), but the benefit is they are far less likely to bend in the event of a drop, plus you can fit BarkBusters properly into the ends of them. Oh, and they look kewl too of course* ;o)

[​IMG]
    photo. *particularly with gold wheels ;o)

Jenny x
    maxcielle likes this.
  13. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep......here's mine..........

upload_2019-6-17_21-9-26.jpeg
  14. maxcielle

maxcielle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah still considering, since I already have the barkbusters mounted and L2 suspension. So I would have to buy the Bar, the new barkbusters and the Honda CB500X Billet Triple Fat Bar Adaptor-RRP 502?
    Looks like a big investment. :(
  15. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hi Maxcielle - if you currently have 22mm bars, then you are limited as to which 3rd party alternatives there are - due the fact the CB has a comparatively low headstock and a high tank/fairing around it, hence why the OEM bars have a 120mm rise.

In comparison, the tallest riser Fat-bars are around 80-90mm (the Renthal RC High, and ProTaper ADV), so you need a correspondingly taller riser.

So if you want to fit Fat-bars, then yes, you will need the taller 28mm saddles/risers to do that, plus the Fat-bars themselves (which are typically $80). You don't need different BarkBusters, just the mounting kit (more narrow bar inserts for the thicker wall aluminium bars, and tapered clamps to fit around the rise section of the bars) which is available from them separately* - note the backbones and the shields are the same for all kits.

*https://barkbusters.net/products/handlebar-clamp-kits/3538-btc-06/

for info. Technically there is nothing to stop you fitting something like the RoxRiser 7/8th to 1&1/8th adaptor risers in place of the Rally-Raid billet risers for Fat-bars - but not only is that a clumsy alternative visually, there isn't any cost saving (actually, just checking the prices, the dedicated Rally-Raid billet Fat-bar riser & top clamp is significantly cheaper - and a no-cost option when you order the kit originally of course) - and you have the one-piece top clamp with the Rally-Raid risers which is both stronger and allows you to mount the auxiliary power sockets and/or a RAM ball/GPS mount at a suitable hight between the bars.

Hope that clarifies things...

Jenny x
    maxcielle likes this.
  16. ThirtyOne

ThirtyOne I got my wings back. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you have to use any spacers to get them to fit in front of your levers? I've found that they just don't clear the levers.
  17. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Spacers to get what to fit.....sorry I'm not sure what you mean.

I have aftermarket (shorter) levers from Rally Raid if that helps.
  18. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    I wondered about that too? - ThirtyOne - if you're concerned the OEM levers are a bit long to fit inside the BarkBuster backbones, you can just move the brake and clutch perch a little way inboard on each side.

Shorty levers are nicer though ;o)

Jx
    Wind_Rider likes this.
  19. bmah

bmah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Different topic: Jenny, how difficult is it to have a level 2 shock serviced? I live in Chile and am wondering if a motorcycle suspension shop would have access to the parts needed to service the shock?
  20. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hi Bmah - I trust you feel there is a reason you think it needs servicing? (for example mine has done 30,000 miles and is still perfectly fine) - but presuming there is an issue, then I'd have thought any decent suspension shop would have the correct tools to replace the oil/seals and re-gas the shock. You might want to take a look at TracTive's website or drop them an email, and see if they list a dedicated/recommended service centre in Chile - if nothing else, they ought to be able to supply your suspension shop with a service kit for that model shock.

As an example, Torque Racing are the service agents for TracTive in the UK, and Konflict Motorsports here in the USA - either of those could service your shock, but shipping might be prohibitive cost wise of course.

I'd have thought there must be a similar operation domestically who could help?

Jenny x