Rally-Raid Products Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by ktmmitch, Sep 22, 2014.

1. dirtytroll

dirtytroll Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Been busy riding the CB500X RR, autumn is here and winter approaching. Have had a lot of great trips with the bike. Winter project is to complete the OEM rims with brake disks and abs pulser. Part numbers in last image. Will make it quick and easy to switch between a bike optimized for long asphalt trips and a bike for gravel/unpaved trips. Have already completed the bike with the Scorpion muffler :-)

IMG_6613.jpeg IMG_6571.jpeg IMG_6567.jpeg IMG_6535.jpeg IMG_6533.jpeg IMG_6531.jpeg IMG_6503.jpeg completing oem rims.jpg

Attached Files:

2. bmah

bmah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It looks like you have been putting those upgrades to good use! I will soon begin the Rally Raid upgrades to my bike. The riding season begins soon in South America.
    dirtytroll likes this.
  3. Monkeystick

Monkeystick n00b

Oddometer:
    Sorted

Attached Files:

jksewell and JMo (& piglet) like this.
  4. dirtytroll

dirtytroll Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The Big Review !
    Cal, jksewell, Rob-Houston and 2 others like this.
  5. markinthailand

markinthailand Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That is a great review. Also highlights well both RR and the new changes with the '19 model. Thanks for sharing!
    dirtytroll likes this.
  6. mcpenner

mcpenner mcpenner

Oddometer:
    I would like to relocate the reservoir. What are my best options?
    [​IMG]
  7. Brainflex

Brainflex Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ABS on not? If not, it can be clamped directly to the frame rail just above where it is n lose the bracket.
    JMo (& piglet) likes this.
  8. mcpenner

mcpenner mcpenner

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately mine is an ABS model.
  9. 32dgrz

32dgrz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dakota Adventure Loop 69DB8477-066C-4676-9D29-F222DA8ED7C0.jpeg 4DD56DD0-B1D9-4C1B-947E-C83C2C238F9F.jpeg 7CD2BE09-6FFF-4A77-8E25-0AE19C7A4141.jpeg
  10. 32dgrz

32dgrz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A few more pics from today 426201F5-FCB6-4856-B79E-CB78A0C75443.jpeg 09F27EBA-6956-4FC5-966F-F272C6B64792.jpeg 210D90F0-8F38-4B90-B08B-2C604B7F9D71.jpeg
    It’s hard to get dogs to color coordinate with your bike
  11. OneAUout

OneAUout Adventurer

Oddometer:
    White dog and black bike in photo below. Know what you mean.

For me, the Rally Raid 500x journey all started with a single photo on AdvRider. But it was Juan Browne‘s YouTube videos that sold me on a Rally Raid 500X. After a few weeks, I had an offer in on a 2016 bike but the owner was wanting too much. Then when I was within a week of ordering a Rally Raid Level III kit, a second hand bike already kitted came up for sale. The first time I had seen one for sale with the Level III kit installed, and Including R&G guards. Last few months have been a great project - an adventure even - getting the CB500x to where it is today.

Previous owner had had a shop install the Rally Raid kit. As can happen with these type of mods, the instructions for installing the kit weren't followed to the letter. When I bought the bike the throttle assembly was loose on the bars. The locating pin (soon removed) for the throttle assembly meant the throttle housing was not clamped tight to the bar. The cable routing around the guides at the steering head had not been changed as per the instructions and the cables were chaffing due to the newly raised suspension/ front wheel change over. Simple enough fixes, but it made me go over the bike and re-check the install piece by piece.

To complete my 'adventure bike' build required a few more steps. Rally Raid 12V aux plate for the triple clamp, a GPS mount and additional USB power source at the handlebars, side racks, bags, heated grips and Fiamm horn, radiator protector, taller windscreen and so on. Stupidly I bought the wrong sized Rally Raid 12V aux plate for the triple clamp. I ordered the OEM clamp size instead of the version for the updated Level III kit. Too enthusiastic on the keyboard, like a teenager. I looked at a tail tidy, but realised that I'm Ok with not having a line of dirty water marking out my spinal column. Besides I might yet hang an AdMore lighting high output LED light bar below the tail light (pricey at almost USD$200) but looks The Business). I spotted these over in a photo on the Africa Twins in Action thread.

I ditched the SW Motech engine guard for the Rally Raid One and am very happy to have done so. But found that as the engine mounting bolts now pass through the GIVI crash bars AND the Really raid bracket the bolts were too short. So rush out and bought longer M10mm allen/hex head bolts (A bolt with a standard head is too wide to fit deep inside the recessed the Givi crash bars. But the M10 thread did not match. Apparently there’s both a 'standard' thread pitch and a 'fine' pitch. Who knew!

Bought some Wolfman Expedition bags only to find that they don't fit on the right side due to the exhaust. The problem I encountered is that the bags extend too far downwards onto the exhaust. Added Givi racks but find that most of the time I run with the hard cases sitting at home. So I'm now debating putting on a Rally Raid rear rack. Then for longer trips I've upgraded to a Giant Loop bag Coyote bag. For camera and phone, I have a small waterproof kayak bag that fits in the Giant Loop Diablo tank bag (which never comes off the bike).

The bike is surprisingly fun on tarmac and is awesome on flowing gravel/metal dirt roads. Haven't found the need for an ABS off switch as the power delivery is linear, somewhat soft and the brakes mirror that approach. Guess I no longer push hard. The 500X is fit-for-purpose. Love it. Gets my vote for Best solo adventure.

Next: Needs a chain oiler. No plans to upgrade for at least another year. Wish that Honda would offer 10 HP more, a 7th extra gear, TFT dash, and DCT. Why DCT? Either I’m getting old, or I’m finally growing up. My wife’s car is a VW with a 7 speed DCT and I’ve recently moved to a Subaru with CVT and paddle shifters. I’ve decided I like the choice of ‘D for dumb auto’ on some roads, or around town, and a manual sport mode for the times that I’m enjoying myself. But wouldn’t want to add 30Kgs to a 500X though.
    IMG_7059.JPG
    maxcielle, Herman1 and mcpenner like this.
  12. maxcielle

maxcielle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check the Cobrra Nemo2, loving it

OneAUout likes this.
  13. maxcielle

maxcielle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got no instructions, but wheels are beautiful. Really.

Can someone identify this parts?
    IMG_20190919_084818.jpg
    IMG_20190919_084822.jpg
    IMG_20190919_084826.jpg

I am in love
    IMG_20190917_182423.jpg IMG_20190917_182525.jpg IMG_20190917_181405.jpg
  14. ktmmitch

ktmmitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    maxcielle likes this.
  15. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Just a quick head-up for anyone within striking distance of Mariposa California this weekend - I'll be presenting two seminars at the Horizons Unlimited Travellers meeting - the first is my latest Packing Light show-and-tell/Q&A session, scheduled for Friday morning at 11am. I'll be sharing my experience and suggestions for packing light for a typical extended adventure ride with an off-road and trail bias, with my trusty CB500X as the backdrop of course.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The second is a science fiction double feature - Part 1 and [the debut of] Part 2 of my huge trip last summer on the G310GS, featuring highlights of some of the best dual-sport and adventure riding in North America - including sections of the Trans-America Trail, the Moab trail network, some of the best Colorado high passes, and sections of the various BDR routes all over the west and north west. A particular highlight is also my cross country blast to Toronto and back for some off-road riding in Ontario, plus my own exploration route/s through Wyoming and Montana. This audio-visual double bill is scheduled to start at 10am on Saturday 28th September.

As another treat, Juan Browne (Blancolirio on Youtube, and Visualizerent here on ADVrider) will also be attending, and we're planning a couple of afternoon trail rides in the local area.

So if you're already planning on attending, or simply fancy a last minute weekend away in some awesome scenery together with some equally awesome people, do check out the Horizons Unlimited website/forum for details (note that online registration is now closed), but if you contact them via email I'm sure you'll be able to sign up on the day.

Hope to see you there!

Jenny x
  16. sscardefield

sscardefield Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am finally ready to pull the trigger on my RR order, I just have one last piece I'm trying to work out, the spring rate. I weigh around 78Kg with my gear on. I will also probably run hard panniers the majority of the time with those weighing in at 10Kg for the pair. I am estimating that I will carry about 5Kg worth of stuff in the panniers on average. That would put my total at about 103 kg for most normal trips, which is the high end of the 110Nm soft spring (85-105Kg). Am I better off getting the soft spring and running it on a harder setting or bumping up to the standard spring and running it at a lower setting? I will also occasionally carry a dry bag on the back with all my camping gear. Given that I'm guessing I should bump up to the 120Nm standard spring.
    dirtytroll and maxcielle like this.
  17. Oyabun

Oyabun 親分

Oddometer:
    It really depends on your riding preference. I have the 110N/mm spring and on a recent trip I felt it quite vague (about 85-87 kg in full gear, anyx have a similar dual hard case setup as you.
    I had to apply excess preload to achieve the sag target.
    On the other side my rear is comfortable lively and action is still controlled.
    So if you are mainly riding offroad, or prefer softer suspension, go for the 110N/mm spring in case you prefer firmer suspension or mainly riding on road, I'd go for the 120N rear spring, but in that the case I'd choos one step firmer front spring also.
    JMo (& piglet) likes this.
  18. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hi sscardefield - this question comes up a lot, and Oyabun has basically summarised it there for you above.

The range of spring support on the RR website is only a suggestion - obviously you've got a bit of leeway either side... and ultimately we are talking about 'adventure' bike suspension here, which by it's nature is designed to handle a wide range of riding scenarios, often in a single trip.

In a nutshell, if your priority of off-road grip and traction (and you mainly ride solo) - go for the softer option; if you ride mainly on the highway and with luggage, go for the slightly stiffer option.

And don't forget you can always purchase the alternative shock springs separately from Rally-Raid should your circumstances change significantly.

Hope that helps...

Jenny x

ps. for info. I also use the 110Nmm spring as I prefer the grip and traction it offers me with my [soft] luggage, however if you are going to run your bike with the panniers attached most of the time, perhaps the 120 rate would be better for you. Just be aware that while you can add preload to a softer spring to help support an additional load, you can't reduce the rate further [from minimum preload] on a stiffer spring of course.

Therefore if you have the budget, then consider getting the remote preload adjuster - that way you'd set up your initial sag for solo riding using the lock ring, and then if you carry increasing weight, you can just dial up the adjuster to add the necessary preload - ie a bit for light luggage, and more for full touring luggage and/or a passenger for example.
  19. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    note. the question above prompted me to tap my username and the words Spring and Rate into the search box above, and I got this list of previous posts in this thread which might also help to explain some of the considerations and intricacies for those looking to upgrade and set-up their suspension... I've booked marked it here for future reference.

https://advrider.com/f/search/75866...=relevance&c[user][0]=54202&c[thread]=1012021

Jx
    Wind_Rider likes this.
  20. 32dgrz

32dgrz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Let me give you my 2 cents.
    I was concerned as you are in getting the correct spring set up. Here's what I can tell you. My bike has stock spring (110). I'm a big guy. You can see by my recent posts that I travel with around 30 pounds of luggage and you can see the terrain i have been on. The stock spring has served me well. The rear of these bikes is amazing. My opinion you will be fine.