Rally-Raid Products Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by ktmmitch, Sep 22, 2014.

1. HandCanonShootr

HandCanonShootr Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    On Usal Rd on the Lost Coast (CA)
    Then on To Crater Lake, now in Idaho, Montana Red Rally tomorrow 20200616_110740.jpg
    DaFoole, svo_jon, ncroadtoad and 2 others like this.
  2. HandCanonShootr

Oddometer:
    One and a half Africa Twins at Crater Lake. 20200620_122956.jpg
  3. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Nice one! Juan and I will be coming that way in a bout a week's time - glad to hear the road past the lake is open!

Have a great trip!

Jx
  4. HandCanonShootr

Oddometer:
    We could not circle the Crater, but entered park from the west, then to north exit. Part of a 250 mile loop we did that day out of a cabin at Union Creek.

Tomorrow Montana!

Mike B
    JMo (& piglet) likes this.
  5. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    So as I've hinted above, I think now's about time for another big CB adventure...

I've started a dedicated ride report thread in that section: the Western Tattenback 2020 (the clue is phonetically in the name), although as I explain in the introduction, this year I'm also going to mix things up a bit in that I won't really have the facility to update you with lots of words and photos while I'm on the road (since we will be primarily wild camping most of the time) - although I will endeavour to post a choice photo or to and a brief description of our progress whenever I can - rather compile my notes together with a host of pictures to put together a fully detailed ride report once we return towards the end of next month...

And in that regard, the 'we' in the previous paragraph is another clue to how things are going to be a bit different this time - I'm not talking about just Piglet and I, rather this time I'll be joining forces with Juan Browne (Blancolirio on YouTube, and @visualizerent here on ADVrider of course) and helping him put together a whole series of short video episodes, as we wind our way from the west coast to the heart of the midwest, and back again - loosely following the current (and parts of the previous versions of the) Trans-America Trail route, but punctuated with a few of my favourite alternative trails on our way there and back too...

There is a far more detailed description of our plan and the proposed route at the start of the ride report thread [linked above in red], so please to dip in there, and subscribe/follow for regular updates - and if you're not already, do consider subscribing to the Blancolirio channel to be notified of the latest episodes each time they are uploaded; plus there is loads of excellent CB500X and adventure-travel related content on there already, including our infamous Rubicon Trail ride in 2016 of course... As I say, the idea this time is for Juan to record and edit a series of vlog style episodes almost in real time, using a minimalist filming and editing kit, and upload them to his YouTube channel as the adventure unfolds!

It's going to be huge fun, and also the perfect opportunity to test out the latest modifications I've made to my own CB500X:

[​IMG]
    photo. wait, what? - yep, that is my Mk2 rally fairing design - in final prototype stage, ready for some serious endurance testing.

I hope you'll be able to join us somewhere along the way - either online, or even in person!

Toot toot for now!

Jenny (and Piglet) and Juan!

ps. the first test video is out already - stand by for our face to face (6 feet apart of course) introduction video when we meet up next week on the 1st of July!

I can't wait to get to some of that epic TAT scenery and to be able to see it from the air!
  6. svo_jon

svo_jon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you are passing through bend and need a place to stay, my door is open.

Jonathan
  7. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Thank you! I've already replied on Tattenback ride report thread, and will drop you a PM too... I think we have the making of a plan!

Jenny x
    chorizo likes this.
  8. svo_jon

svo_jon Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Took the Mrs for a sunset ride tonightfto sparks lake. Mt Batchelor in the background.
    20200627_205534.jpg
    JMo (& piglet) and chorizo like this.
  9. chorizo

chorizo Been here awhile Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
  10. chorizo

Oddometer:
    Im all ears. Good luck Juan and Jenny
  11. chorizo

Oddometer:
    I picked up these tires new less than half price. They are 100/90 19 front and 130/80 17 rear. I was planning on burning them up on the Continental Divide Route about half tarmac and 1/2 dirt. According to tire calculator they are darn near exact in circumferance but the rear is about 16mm slimmer in width. No biggie right??
  12. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hi Chorizo - you mean on the Rally-Raid spoked wheels? - yes, you can fit a 130 on the current 3.5" rear rim if you wish, although that is about as narrow as you'd want to go on a bike this size and weight - plus as narrow as you should on that width rim of course.

Have a great trip! - for info. Juan and I are planning to ride the section of the CDT which is open to motorcycles south of Monarch Pass in Colorado.

Jx
  13. chorizo

Oddometer:
    Anybody try a lithium battery or the RR. I thought Id splurge after holding them both.
    The weight difference was amazing.
    dirtytroll likes this.
  14. chorizo

Oddometer:
    Yes RR spoked wheels. I figured I was pushing it a little but it'll remind me to take it easy. LOL
  15. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    What brand/model tyre are they? - as long as they are an 'all-terrain' style carcass they should be pretty rigid anyway, you'll just find the profile is perhaps stretched a little wider than optimal... although for mixed terrain riding (rather than flick-flak style paved road cornering), spreading more of the tread across the width of the wheel is likely to improve grip and traction on loose surfaces anyway - similar to airing your tyres down a little in that regard.

Jx
  16. maxcielle

maxcielle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After doing 800 miles of the Adventure Country Tracks I want to service my CB500X Rally Raid suspension. How much oil will I need?

Videos of the ACT ride here:

Adventure Country Tracks website:
    https://www.adventurecountrytracks.com/

17. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hi Maxcielle - 800, or 8000 miles? - either way, I'm being a little facetious of course - but if you do feel it's time to flush your forks, the LEVEL 1 bikes take 420ml per leg and the LEVEL 2 bikes 450ml per leg - so either way a litre of fork oil at your chosen weight (I personally recommend 5w for a more responsive feedback over rough terrain) will see you right.

It's not a tricky job - if you want to be lazy about it you can just remove the front wheel and axle and undo the bolts that hold the damper rods in the bottom of each fork leg and let the old oil drain out... however, it is better to pull the fork legs off and drain them upside down and cycle them through a few times too to remove all the old oil; and if you want to get fussy about it, even flush them through and leave them to dry before re-filling/assembling.

Hope that helps... have fun!

Jenny x

ps. the video looks great - epic scenery! Is that the same music they use for the Dakar Rally summary videos too? - it sounds familiar!
    maxcielle likes this.
  18. maxcielle

Oddometer:
    The ACT Portugal it's 800 miles. But I've done thousands of miles off road on my Rally Raid L2. Loving it! But, yeah, I'm starting to feel that needs some servicing.

Glad you enjoyed the video. Have no idea regarding the music but it's a copyright free song so it was probably used lot before.

Edit:
    @JMo (& piglet) should I do anything to the rear shock?
  19. maxcielle

Oddometer:
    Oh and looking forward (and jealous) for your TAT'N'back :)
  20. RimBenty

RimBenty Greg - Bender of Rims

Oddometer:
    I have been using the Battery-Tender brand lithium battery for about a year and a half. Works great and no problems so far. I like that it has four terminals (2 + and 2 -). It also has a built in safety to cut power if overloaded but it hasn’t tripped so far.
    chorizo likes this.