Rally-Raid Products Honda CB500X

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by ktmmitch, Sep 22, 2014.

1. veriest1

veriest1 Minimalist Gear Hoarder

Oddometer:
    Thanks for replies guys. I've located a bike and will be picking it up next Monday. RR level 2 suspension is already ordered.

But wheels, wheels are not in stock and it appears to be a long wait. How miserable would I be running the level 2 suspension with the 17" front temporarily? Would one of the 19" wheels from the later bikes bolt up at that point?
  2. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Hi Veriest - it's the FAQ #16 on the first page of this thread...

There is is nothing to stop you running the stock 17/17" wheels if you wish, the bike is raised the same amount front and rear, so the fork angle will remain the same as it was with the standard travel, just 2" taller - it will basically feel like a supermoto. note. once the 19" front wheel is fitted, it relaxes the head angle by around 1°, closer to a traditional adv/dual-sport bike.

To answer you second question, no - the 2019-on model cast wheels are not interchangeable with the earlier forks.

It's also worth noting/reiterating that whenever a product goes out of stock the default is a lead time of '4-6 weeks', as that is how long it takes to manufacturer the wheels from scratch (the most labour intensive of all the Rally-Raid components, from machining, finishing, assembly and any BARTubeless to be fitted), but these days Rally-Raid have wheels are in constant production*, so depending on where in the cycle your order was placed, you might well get them sooner. All orders are processed/allocated in strict order from the date they were made.

*There have been delays earlier this year due the wheel-builders (in the UK) and BART (in Italy) being affected by various Covid restrictions of course.

Hope that helps!

Jenny x
  3. Twempie

Twempie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  4. veriest1

veriest1 Minimalist Gear Hoarder

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Why I never thought to look back at the beginning of this thread is beyond me. I'll blame it on the new puppy keeping me up and busy. Yeah, that's it.
  5. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hi Twempie - yes, you can expect the new springs to need to bed-in a bit over the next few hundred miles. I would check your damping adjusters on the shock are set to the factory settings (essentially in the middle of their range), and then you can add or subtract the damping as required to help you dial it in.

I would also start with preload adjuster/s somewhere in the middle too (or perhaps on the softer/less preload end of the range), then you can also add or subtract as required (note with the remote preload adjuster fitted there is a pretty wide range of adjustment available for most people/varying weights without ever to reposition the ring adjuster on the shock body) - although it's worth remembering that when you finally set your sag, you're likely to end up with two preload settings - one for unladen/solo riding, and one for when you're travelling with luggage and/or a passenger - which is where the remote adjuster makes things very easy to swap between the two.

note. If you do find you are using all your preload adjustment on the shock when setting the sag when fully laden (ie. there is a really significant increase in weight compared to when you ride solo), you can always add a turn or two on the lock ring, so that you are not maxing out your hydraulic adjustment each time. Conversely, if you find the initial preload is too stiff, you can back that lock ring off a couple of turns so that the hydraulic adjuster sits is more in the middle of it's range.

Have fun!

Jenny x
    Twempie likes this.
  6. Twempie

Twempie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the detailed response... Again :). I'm itchin' to ride this "new" bike. I've learned a lot along the way, and have to say again that communicating with Rally Raid has been great, and the quality of the components is outstanding.
  7. Twempie

Twempie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was almost there with putting the bike back together, but...

I have a Givi tall windshield that now looks like it does not fit with Barkbuster Storms - a minor hiccup. I’ll try the OEM tomorrow.

More importantly, I realized that I need to hammer the exhaust to make it fit (2018 ABS), but there’s also a tab on the exhaust, underneath that I seem to remember reading that needs sawn off. Is this correct?
  8. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have the Givi tall in the low position and bark Busters but also 25mm up and 25mm back , bar risers. You should look into spacing that Givi windshield out 30mm with spacers, it allows air under the shield and removes 90% of the buffeting
  9. Twempie

Twempie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Cal, I already have spacers, and they worked with before the Level 2. I think my best course of action is to see if the bars are comfortable before adding any risers. This photo was taken before the Level 2 upgrade.

[​IMG]
    Cal likes this.
  10. Twempie

Twempie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Amazing what a good night sleep does. I found Jenny’s comment about not needing to bash the exhaust from 2016 on, and reinstalled the exhaust, and I’m now off to the hardware store to buy longer spacers and bolts for the Givi shield (I hope I can make it fit like before - that shield with short risers was perfect for my height).

I like the new handlebar position of the Level 2 upgrade with OEM bars, and all the cables seem happy when unhooked from those metal loop-holders under the ignition cylinder. I’m almost there, stoked. Are the kids still saying stoked(?)
  11. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hi Twempie - to clarify, the 2016 bikes have the same cylindrical/conical exhaust silencer as the 2013-15 models, it was the 2017-18 bikes which had the more contemporary design (similar to the current 2019-on bikes too) with a different shaped link pipe...

Therefore, if you still have that original chrome cylindrical silencer, you will need to 'modify' the inside face of the conical section (see Juan's original video about fitting the RR kit) with a suitable lump hammer.

I you ultimately elect to fit an aftermarket silencer, they all seem to use a round (rather than conical) link pipe which means no modification is needed. Similarly, you don't need to cut anything in any instance - however you may find that the bracket/lug for the centre-stand support that some aftermarket silencers have welded on can be removed to offer more tyre/mud clearance if you're running more aggressive tyres.

Hope that helps.

Jx

ps. The cockpit of the CB has always been pretty tight with backbone style hand-guards together with a tall screen/stock screen in the high position. One option is to just cut a suitable sized scallop out of each side of the screen so that the hand-guards clear.
    Cal likes this.
  12. Twempie

Twempie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Jenny, thanks for the clarification(s). I re-installed the tall shield with longer spacers, but the hand guards still bang into the shield at full lock. Not much, but enough to explore cutting a small piece out of each side. I need to find someone that can make a decent job of that, I’d make a pigs arse out of it.

I have a 2018 bike, and the exhaust went back on just fine. I did have to loosen the rear pegs a bit to help line everything up - I’m guessing the rear peg holders shifted ever so slightly after I added the Tractive shock reservoir.
  13. Twempie

Twempie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Jenny,

I've finished my Rally Raid Level 2, and having a case of upgrade-remorse :), meaning now WTF am I going to do? I re-installed the OEM shield, with some spacers (about 15mm) and those cleared the Barkbusters.

All that I need to do now is dial in the suspension. I've left everything at factory settings, and just set the preload adjuster to half way for now... sag to follow.

Thanks again for all advice and tips.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. Twempie

Twempie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh... I also set the front forks to about half way.
  15. Med.Jeeves

Med.Jeeves Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Figured I would post this here, as many people might be in the same boat.

I'm 6ft and I've never been satisfied with the windshield on the CBX. I tried a Madstad, couldn't get it to clear the BarkBusters (and it's huge!!), tried a Puig touring and I hit my head every time I stood up off-road. The Puig adjustable extender was about the same.

A about six weeks ago there was an article on the main ADVRider page for National Cycle V Streams being released for the 2019+ (Gen3) CBXs. Compared part numbers, and the Puig part number for the 2017 eras (Gen2) was the same as the 2019+ model. Decided to give it a whirl and bought a V Stream Sport that is for a 2019 CBX. Fits perfect, and seriously cut down on turbulence and wind noise. As a plus, there's even more clearance between the barkbusters and the windshield (I'm using the RR spacer kit, but otherwise stock bracket and hardware). At 6ft tall with a peaked visor (Arai XD-4) I can roll down the highway at 75/80 mph without feeling like a hula-girl bobble doll for the first time on the CBX.

I can post pictures if anyone is interested. Put ~2000 miles on so far, including Maggie Valley and part of the TAT in NC/TN, and not a single regret.
  16. Twempie

Twempie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would like to see pictures of the screen and spacer kit. And which vendor you went with.
  17. Twempie

Twempie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Jenny,

I took some measurements today and, according to the Rally Raid instructions, I'm within the specified range, but I'd appreciate a sanity check.
    I set the remote hydraulic preload to half way, and shocks at out-the-box specs. Please excuse me if I mix up terminologies.
    610mm - Wheel fully off the ground
    595mm - Bike on ground, no rider
    555mm - Geared up rider on bike
    This gives me a no-luggage ride-height of 55mm, which is within the Rally Raid spec of 50mm +/-8mm (610mm - 555mm = 55mm)

Question:
    I was going to adjust the lock ring two turns in an effort to increase the ride-height from 55mm to around 61mm, with the intention to dial in my final settings using the hydraulic preload adjuster. But I can't see any lock ring on the shock. The lock ring is either covered by the other end of the hydraulic remote adjuster, or the lock ring is inaccessible (the ABS box obscures a lot of the shock). What am I missing?

All help appreciated.
  18. Med.Jeeves

Med.Jeeves Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here are the photos of the V-Stream windshield. Links and photos below the text. The shield is for a 2019+ CB500X, ordered directly from the National Cycle website. It's the "sport" shield. My bike is a 2017 CBX, the bars are Renthal bars with the Adventure bend, and BarkBusters Storm. It's the full RR3 (RR2 w/ wheels) set up, for those interested in my set up and clearance between the hand guards and windshield. I'm running the spacer kit from RR too, but they're just 10mm nylon spacers. Don't know if you'd actually need them, but I think they help with the buffet vacuum created behind the windshield.

IMG_20200808_103055.jpg IMG_20200808_103037.jpg

http://www.rally-raidproducts.co.uk/honda-cb500x-cb500f/honda-cb500x-screen-spacer-kit-rrp498
    http://www.nationalcycle.com/vehicles/motorcycle-1/honda/hondacb500x/2020hondacb500x/n20066.html
    veriest1 likes this.
  19. Twempie

Twempie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, I’m a believer. I took the bike out from Seattle to some trails on Washington State’s Olympic Peninsula yesterday, and the upgraded machine felt great, both on and off dirt.
  20. Twempie

Twempie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I only had one issue with my RRL2’s maiden voyage yesterday.

On road and dirt, the front brake on my 2018 ABS (4,000 miles, OEM pads) started making an almost grinding “V V V V V” vibrating noise when coming to a stop, only at the slowing down low speed. I plan to recheck the torque on the disc and ABS ring, as well as judiciously lube the pertinent brake parts, but would really like to know if anyone has experienced this before.

The noise got louder as the day wore on, especially in Seattle’s stop and go traffic. So I just relied on the rear brake to get me home safely.